Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying not to freak out...

I was sleeved April 22nd...a little over a week ago. So far I have had what I think is a text book recovery...no pain, no nausea, able to get Protein and Water in, back to work one week after surgery. Yesterday, my stomach started to hurt a little when I ate or drank (well, drank...I am on full liquids), Nothing serious...feels like a mild belly ache that went a way very quickly as the liquid passed through. This continues off and on today. I still feel fine, no fever, nothing else strange. I thought, since it was Friday, I might as well call my surgeon's office just to make sure this is normal...I was thinking my stomach nerves were "waking up" or healing after surgery.

My surgeon's assistant called me back and after I explained the pain or discomfort she said that this wasn't really normal...that my sleeve really shouldn't be hurting wh) She then said that a leak shouldn't be showing itself this far out, but I shouldn't really have pain...and that's where I got freaked out. The PA said I shouldn't be concerned...let's keep an eye on it, stick with liquids, take small sips, if anything changes to call. My 2 week follow up appointment is on Thursday

My biggest fear of having this surgery was a leak, it absolutely terrifies me....My surgeon has only had one leak and it presented before the patient left the hospital. Now every ache, pain, heartbeat scare me...I came home right from work and measured my waist (down one inch since April 27th)...I cannot stop worrying about this! I know this forum are wonderful, supportive patients not medical professionals, but I guess I need a little encouragment or possibly just to know that someone else out there is sleeve land has had rumbly stomach spasms a little over a week out of surgery. Or maybe I just need someone to just listen and understand my fear.

Edited by SparkleCat

So sorry you're having to deal with this. After all, we did just get our stomachs cut on. it wouldn't surprise me if he had some pain afterwards. I know I felt extremely sore and like somebody had punched me in the stomach for several weeks afterwards.

Leaks also come with high fevers and other symptoms, not just a little rumbling in the stomach. I know it's easy for me to say but try not to borrow trouble. I'm no expert, but I believe if you had a leak it would hurt at other times as well. From the stories I read here Leaks are fairly unmistakable most of the times.

Why not just think of this as regular recovery until somebody tells you otherwise? Somebody professional that is :-)

Don't worry, I had that same issue for 2 weeks after and what my Nutritionist and PA told me was to drink my liquids at room temp. That was what I did and it helped alot. I moved very slow through the food phases as my sleeve was swollen for a good three weeks. Go slow, sip sip sip and try room temp liquids. I am now 6 months out and I still have some issues with cold drinks. I hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Sparkle,

I had a similar situation but with my incisions. I was really confused on day 4 and pulled off my steristrips prematurely. I thought I was supposed to expose the sutures before taking a shower.

Anyhow, I freaked out big time. I have high anxiety already so this put me through the roof. I called the surgeons office and the PA (who I love)said to tape gauze over the sites. This did not relieve my anxiety.

The next day I woke up at 4am and sat around until my surgeons office opened at 8:30. I asked if I could see the surgeon to reapply the strips. They gave me an appointment right after the surgeon got out of surgery at 10:30.

The surgeon came in and said everything healed nicely and I didn't need to worry. As soon as he said this I immediately felt better.

The morale of the story is... Go demand to see your surgeon. You will feel immensely better once you are cleared.

Thank Y'all! My saving grace is that I really have no other symptoms...just the belly ache pain when I drink. I was just shocked when the PA told me it wasn't normal...I swore she was just going to humor me. Will keep any eye on myself this weekend...hopefully it will get better or stay the same.

I really appreciate hearing that others have experienced the same...makes me feel a little more normal :)

Just going to sip my powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup and watch bad tv :)

I was sleeved on 4/4 and everything was fine. I went home and a week later I had a fever of 104 and convulsions. I ended up back in the ER and was admitted to the ICU for 11 days and had two surgeries to correct the leak they found. Trust me when I tell you that if you had a leak, you would know it :) I DO understand the anxiety. Every gas pain, every twinge makes me terrified I am going to end up back in the hospital. I get really bad indigestion and I am always terrified it means that the leak opened back up. I don't regret the surgery because I know that I did it for all the right reasons, but I have to actively stay focused on the good things (down over 30 lbs in a month - then again - I was hospitalized and off all fluids and food for over a week!). You're fine, I'm sure, but keep in touch with your Dr's office and they will let you know if anything is wrong.

I was sleeved on 4/4 and everything was fine. I went home and a week later I had a fever of 104 and convulsions. I ended up back in the ER and was admitted to the ICU for 11 days and had two surgeries to correct the leak they found. Trust me when I tell you that if you had a leak, you would know it :) I DO understand the anxiety. Every gas pain, every twinge makes me terrified I am going to end up back in the hospital. I get really bad indigestion and I am always terrified it means that the leak opened back up. I don't regret the surgery because I know that I did it for all the right reasons, but I have to actively stay focused on the good things (down over 30 lbs in a month - then again - I was hospitalized and off all fluids and food for over a week!). You're fine, I'm sure, but keep in touch with your Dr's office and they will let you know if anything is wrong.

Thanks so much Lia! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I really appreciate your insight and making me calm down :) you're awesome :)

Thanks, Sparkle :) THis has been an incredibly difficult journey for me and my family. I got a low grade fever this weekend and ended up back in the ER. I didn't get admitted this time, thank God! It ended up being some areas of Fluid collection that were not infected, but were pushing on my chest. Doc says we are not going back in, going to wait and let my body absorb them. In the meantime, very uncomfortable. I keep myself sane by keeping a daily log where I write all of my meds and what time I take them, what I eat and when, how I am feeling and any other symptoms. Then, if I am anxious about something, I have a record of everything and I call the Dr's office, that way THEY can decide if I need to be seen or not. I am going to try going back to work tomorrow and I am so nervous. I don't know how I am going to keep it together all day, but I guess I can't put it off for forever!

Anyone who says this is the easy way to lose weight should be punched :) I'm glad we all have this forum for support. I know I have needed it a lot lately.

I have that prob since I've had surgery too. But it's always been there! It hurts then it subsides as liquids pass though my stomach. Maybe I'll try the room temp thing. I noticed warm liquids go down easier too. The pain has gotten better over the past week but it still continues. I think you're prob alright but definitely get it all checked out to be sure.