Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would like to hear more stories on how the first few weeks went an what helped with the pain!

I'm only 6 days post op but the pain - like real pain from surgery - really only last the first 48 hours. It's sore. But no longer serious pain. I'd say it's about as bad as a csection (or a little worse) but my gall bladder was way easier. It hurts to cough but pain is not the focus this many days out. It's fatigue and constantly trying to get all your fluids and Protein in. That's the real work. I had quite a bit of nausea for the first few days but they give you meds.

I was sleeved 1/20/14, the first couple days I was sore but the more I moved and walked around the better I felt, I was lucky, no gas pains and no complications. I think the hardest part for me was when eating or preparing meals my eyes were defiantly bigger then my stomach, I quickly learned to portion meals out.

Now a little over 2 months out I feel great, been working 4/5 days week and actually started jogging, I have so much more energy, my clothes fit much better my only regret is not doing this sooner

I'm only 6 days post op but the pain - like real pain from surgery - really only last the first 48 hours. It's sore. But no longer serious pain. I'd say it's about as bad as a csection (or a little worse) but my gall bladder was way easier. It hurts to cough but pain is not the focus this many days out. It's fatigue and constantly trying to get all your fluids and Protein in. That's the real work. I had quite a bit of nausea for the first few days but they give you meds.

Hi there, thanks for sharing - may I ask what about bending to get up from a chair or in and out of bed? Also, I'm really concerned about getting up 12 steps to my home after hospital as no one will be able to lift me....

I'm almost 6 weeks out. I had minimal pain. Slept in my own bed the first night home. (was in hospital 2 nights). Went to the grocery store 2 days after I got home. No problems. Just couldn't lift anything over 10 lbs per my surgeon. I don't think I would have had trouble with stairs. BUT... everyone is different!

Hi there, thanks for sharing - may I ask what about bending to get up from a chair or in and out of bed? Also, I'm really concerned about getting up 12 steps to my home after hospital as no one will be able to lift me....

It's sore to change positions the first few days, getting up and down and in and out of bed. But with the pain meds, and I didn't need them like prescribed - just once or twice a day - help that. It's more a soreness by day 3. I have 8 steps into the house and that wasn't bad. I won't lie, there is pain because it's surgery, but it's doable. You definitely need to have stocked up on your supplies because you don't want to be carrying groceries into the house, and you want to rest frequently, but seriously, by the 3rd day, you are moving around well. I couldn't sleep on my sides until last night which was irritating. I slept much better last night. Turning in the bed hurts the first few days. It's all doable though. It hurts and then settles down. It's not constant.

I hugged my pillow a lot in the first week. I was allowed/able to do stairs (carefully) when I was released from the hospital. I took my pain meds faithfully for the first week or so. I found that if I was uncomfortable in bed, I would get up and walk around the house. If I was uncomfortable in my chair, I'd do laps around the kitchen table. Walking was key to keeping the pain in check.

The biggest complaint for me: I'm a side or stomach sleeper and I had to sleep on my back (propped up) for the first two weeks. Week 3 I could SOMETIMES lie on my side but then my lower left incision pain got worse. Week 4 and I don't have any more sleep issues.

Days 2 and 3 I asked my husband why the heck I did this to myself. I felt helpless and I hate that feeling. I couldn't pick up my 2 year old. I couldn't help her put on her socks... He reminded me that he went through this and it's only a phase and this to shall pass. At week 4 this is just a memory.

I agree with it all being a memory very quickly. My surgery was just a week ago and yet those first two days seem like a LNG time ago. I used my cough pillow for several days and still splint when I cough. Coughing is good for you but it does hurt!

I hugged my pillow a lot in the first week. I was allowed/able to do stairs (carefully) when I was released from the hospital. I took my pain meds faithfully for the first week or so. I found that if I was uncomfortable in bed, I would get up and walk around the house. If I was uncomfortable in my chair, I'd do laps around the kitchen table. Walking was key to keeping the pain in check. The biggest complaint for me: I'm a side or stomach sleeper and I had to sleep on my back (propped up) for the first two weeks. Week 3 I could SOMETIMES lie on my side but then my lower left incision pain got worse. Week 4 and I don't have any more sleep issues. Days 2 and 3 I asked my husband why the heck I did this to myself. I felt helpless and I hate that feeling. I couldn't pick up my 2 year old. I couldn't help her put on her socks... He reminded me that he went through this and it's only a phase and this to shall pass. At week 4 this is just a memory.

Where was your profile pic taken? I grew up in MI and it looks like Up North, which I miss! :)

I hugged my pillow a lot in the first week. I was allowed/able to do stairs (carefully) when I was released from the hospital. I took my pain meds faithfully for the first week or so. I found that if I was uncomfortable in bed, I would get up and walk around the house. If I was uncomfortable in my chair, I'd do laps around the kitchen table. Walking was key to keeping the pain in check. The biggest complaint for me: I'm a side or stomach sleeper and I had to sleep on my back (propped up) for the first two weeks. Week 3 I could SOMETIMES lie on my side but then my lower left incision pain got worse. Week 4 and I don't have any more sleep issues. Days 2 and 3 I asked my husband why the heck I did this to myself. I felt helpless and I hate that feeling. I couldn't pick up my 2 year old. I couldn't help her put on her socks... He reminded me that he went through this and it's only a phase and this to shall pass. At week 4 this is just a memory.

Where was your profile pic taken? I grew up in MI and it looks like Up North, which I miss! :)

It was actually Alaska this summer. :-) I grew up in Houghton Lake. I miss Northern Michigan, but I'm more Mid-Michigan now.

I agree with it all being a memory very quickly. My surgery was just a week ago and yet those first two days seem like a LNG time ago. I used my cough pillow for several days and still splint when I cough. Coughing is good for you but it does hurt!

Sneezing at 3 weeks out killed!! I had a sinus attack last week!

Beautiful!

I'm a week and one day out and really the actual surgery pain wasn't that bad. When you bend over, get out of bed, etc. it sort of feels like you did a bunch of ab crunches the day before or something. It was just sore, but not really painful. I winced a few times the first couple of days or so when I had to strain but then it really went away. I used all of my prescribed meds though, I didn't want to feel uncomfortable at all. The gas pains were what really got to me! I walked for five minutes, VERY slowly on the treadmill, once an hour for a few days after and it really helped. All of it is bearable though...and so far it's been worth it! I'm down 13lbs. today!

I do have a head cold or something though...not related to surgery...and it's pretty miserable. Lol

Thanks so much ladies - I think I will stock up on supplies and make sure I move anything upstairs I might need before I go to hospital. I know there will be pain and discomfort of course and individual tolerances and circumstances will make it an individual experience - but telling us your experiences help someone like me be able to plan and manage as best we can :-) thanks again

I had a lot of pain in the recovery room. I don't remember much other than crying out "pain! pain!". Such a distance memory now. The nurses must have thought I was out of my mind. I had one night in the hospital. The first few days home were rough: I had a hard time breathing, I coughed a lot which hurt as well. I was wondering what in heaven's name had I done to myself. I took the Percocet, which helped a great deal. I walked. Slow. I slept on the sofa propped up with pillows. I was freezing all the time (still am, actually).

On day 5, it was like someone flipped a switch, and I woke up realizing I felt ALOT better. I was back at work a week after surgery, and started attending boot camp the following week (with my doctor's clearance, or course).

I'm one of the lucky ones, and I am counting my blessings.

Be well...