Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeding your kids while going thru surgery

Hi! I just got my surgery date today April 15th! I am a single mom of 2 kids who are 9 and 7. Any advice on keeping them fed while going thru 2 week liquid diet and then post surgery restrictions? I dont want to torture myself or deprive my kids. Anyone else experience this?

Don't really think there is any way around it....they must eat and you must not. On my pre op diet when my family was eating I left the room and watched TV or read. It may be hard to believe but after the 4th day on the pre op liquid diet, your hunger decreases and it is easier to be around food and not eat it.

Post op I had no appetite or desire to eat for at least 2 weeks so I had no problem with them eating in front of me. You can make some meals for them and freeze them so when you are post op you can just defrost and heat.

Its encouraging to hear the whole 2 weeks won't be horrible! Freezing is a good idea. I just think cooking might be rough. So they might be eating a lot of leftovers or heading to grandmas.

Prior to my surgery I put together about 2 weeks worth of crockpot meals. I prepped everything in freezer bags and when it was time for dinner (about 8hrs earlier) I would just plop the contents of one of the freezer bags into the crockpot and let it go. I did many different chicken meals and some steak fajita meals. My husband and daughter enjoyed them.

It's not too late for you to do that if you wanted to. It makes things so much easier.

A good site to check out for some meal ideas to freeze is: www.whoneedsacape.com

I have 3 kids. I would recommend you drink your Protein before you prepare their meals. Hopefully you wont be tempted.

This was an issue for me while I was on my pre op diet. But after 4 days I was good. I change my attention to something else til people kept apologizing and I had to tell them to stop, they were just trying to be respectful. I am not 8 days post op and still on the liquid diet til the 20th but I'm so comfortable with the diet that I have started cooking for my family and tho some of it smells amazing I'm not hungry and not even tempted to eat it.

What was your liquid diet like? Mines 500 calorie a day diet. Only 6 packets of carnations instant Breakfast sugar free with Water, one cup milk, and sugar free popsicle s/jello a day.

Mine was up to 5 Protein drinks per day, all the Water, broth and sugar free ice pops and jell-o I wanted. I drank a lot of Vitamin Water Zero to keep my electrolytes in balance. I drank Premier Protein which has 30 grams of Protein per drink, I never felt the need to drink more than 3 per day and I made the jell-o but never ate it.

I am not going to lie to you......the first 3 to 4 days SUCK more than you can imagine but it is amazing how different you feel after the 4th day. Keep your eye on the goal and you will do great.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Edited by Michele H.

Thanks! The drinks i can have only have 10 grams each. So pretty slim. Maybe i should just start early when I'm not at work!

I would try to keep as much normal for them as possible. Cook their meals, sit down at the table with them while they eat. Maybe cook ahead for the first few days, but you'll be able to cook in no time. Having kids you can't lay around, I have three myself.

Thanks! The drinks i can have only have 10 grams each. So pretty slim. Maybe i should just start early when I'm not at work!

Carnation instant Breakfast drinks do not contain enough Protein or adequate nutrition. Did your surgeon recommend those? I find myself feeling quite full if I drink a high Protein Drink. My go-to Protein Drinks are Isopure zero carb (50 grams of protein) or ready made Premiere Protein (30 grams) from costco or EAS AdvantEDGE carb control (17 grams). Plop the ready made ones in the freezer and they taste like a thick milk shake!

Edited by Bluesea71

Carnation instant breakfast drinks do not contain enough Protein or adequate nutrition. Did your surgeon recommend those? I find myself feeling quite full if I drink a high Protein Drink. My go-to Protein Drinks are Isopure zero carb (50 grams of protein) or ready made Premiere protein (30 grams) from costco or EAS AdvantEDGE carb control (17 grams). Plop the ready made ones in the freezer and they taste like a thick milk shake!

Yes that is what is required for the pre-op diet. It seems the requirements are more strict in the program I am in as far as what I have read here.

I do need to give the Isopure a try. And I've heard a lot about Premier but not sure where to get it here. We don't have costco

Go to Premier's website and enter in your zip code. In I'm Michigan, they have them at Walmart, sams club, and Meyers.

I had surgery 2 days before Thanksgiving - talk about torture, LOL! I brought my Protein Shake to the table with me and drank while they ate. Luckily my family knew I couldn't prepare the food.

I would say with a 7 year old and a 9 year old they are old enough to prepare dinner. I would sit down with them at the beginning of the week and have them suggest dinner options for each night that they can prepare. They each get 3 days for the week and the 7th day you can order them pizza or something else that they like. Make sure the meals they suggest are simple with just twoor three ingredients. There are TONS of websites for children cooking and what is age appropriate for each age. You might want to check with your local grocery store and see if they have kids cooking classes that they can attend as well. It will teach them good nutrition choices and how to appropriately use a stove.

Also, utilize your resources. Tell your friends, co-workers and family that you're going to have surgery and you're concerned about getting your kids fed. Guaranteed they will chip in and make a casserole for each night. You might even have more food than you need. :) You know if it was one of them you'd jump at the chance of helping them out. Why not ask them for help when you need it?

Good luck and congratulations on your surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so surprised when the pre-op diets are so strict. Mine was strict but I could eat all the non starchy veggies I wanted. I had three 27 gm Protein Shakes a day, chicken broth or low fat Soups, Jello and pudding. The high Protein was calming. Didn't feel starved. Some days I had an extra shake. I did buy powder from my surgeons office. Now I buy Syntrax powders. The pre-op diet was hard but mostly mentally hard. Knowing I had to have my liver ready for surgery helped. Be strong in some ways before surgery is harder than after. :)