Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am i doing wrong?

So I'm only eating when I get hungry, but sometimes I feel so hungry, that after2-3 bites of egg say, my stomach still feels hungry, so I keep eating, waiting to get satisfied, but I have missed satisfied s a few times and hit too full. Tonight, I had scrambled eggs with melted cheese, about 1cup, but by the time I finished them, I still felt hungry, so I had a few too many bites of potatoes and hit the pukey feeling. Help!! At what point do you stop eating? Ho often do you et throughout the day? I feel limited t this point bc I'm only on oureeds, not much variety....can't do refried bens, can't tolerate them t this point

You'll learn to notice your cues better as you go along. Watch for things like hiccups, burping, or a runny nose. Until then, you should stop before you hit "satisfied."

Honestly, are you really eating a whole cup of scrambled eggs and cheese? That sounds like a lot for a new sleever. I can't eat that much and I'm 8 months out. If you aren't weighing and measuring everything before you eat it, you should start. Did your doctor give you a plan as to how much you should eat? When I was on purees I was allowed 3 tablespoons of food for a meal, and 3 meals a day, no snacking. Did you receive any guidance like that?

In any event, take note of how much was "too much" each time you hit it. Write it down if need be, but the next time you eat that food, measure it out and eat less than the time before, whether you feel satisfied or not.

Good luck!

Dare I say that 1 cup of food is too much right now?? :) You had your surgery this month right?

Your stomach is still swollen and healing. I wouldn't strive to eat and be satisfied/full at this stage.

Bufflehead,

No not, Full cup of scrambled eggs with cheese, typically, but we were eating out and that was about the amount I was given and since I felt sooooo hungry my eyes were bigger than my stomach and I ate that and then some, after I felt like I might throw up, but thankfully didn't. I am only eating scrambled eggs right now on oureeds and will only eat 1/2c cooked eggs that's what I had for Breakfast & lunch today until dinner tonight.

My surgeon is worthless quite honestly I hate her and wish I would have gone with a different surgeon, but that's a different story.....let's just say no support. I do have an awesome NUT and she says 1/2c cooked scrambled eggs, so I've been sticking to that until tonight's dinner incident. I DEFINATELY don't want to eat too much. ARGH how long does this process take to learn??

Blondie, YES way too much food. I think I ate too fast tonight bc I waited until I was too hungry :(

Blondiee, yes I was sleeved on 2-3......I am not a patient person, but good point that my stomach is still healing

I was sleeved in November and I never get the "satisfied" feeling. I never get hungry either. Waiting now ranges from "meh" to uncomfortable. Not a bad thing though. Its nice to feel like I have power over food rather than the other way around.

Eating, rather.

Idahogirl,

My surgeon said I would still experience hunger, wish I didn't. Oh well

ARGH how long does this process take to learn??

I would say about "one" puke session should do it.

No really, like everyone is saying, measure, don't guess. I haven't been to a restaurant yet, (still too chicken) but I wouldn't hesitate to ask them to measure my food either by weight or volume.

One bite. Chew. Swallow. Wait.

One bite. Chew. Swallow. Wait.

Ad infinitum prevents ad nauseam.

Madam, how long do I wait?

My capacity is 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons, which I guess is about 1/2 cup. I can't imagine eating more than that without my new tummy exploding back into my mouth. Like the others have said, eat small (baby spoon) bites, and eat them slowly to give that new tummy time to respond. You will get that tupperware burp or a big yawn or a hiccup or something. Miss Tummy will talk to you if you listen to it.

You cannot eat at the same pace and volume of your old tummy. And really, I think your family is insensitive to expect you to navigate eating in a restaurant with all the sights and smells. I think most of the rest of us were also advised to withhold beverages 1/2 hour either side of eating, and then only sipping gradually....no big chugs like we used to.

And I don't think I have ever disagreed with Madam Reverie on this forum. She is spot on, once again. Your doctor just severed 80%-85% of your stomach and jerked it out of your body. You will do damaged if you are not pro-active about your own care. If you measure 1/2 cup of food and eat that....walk away from the rest. I have a rule to measure, and then never eat the last bite. Good luck with your recovery.

Madam, how long do I wait?

I'd say after the first 3 small mouthfuls, a good minute - 1 minute 30 seconds. A good bit longer when you start to hit the solids. Because those beasts hit like a brick. Save 30-40 minutes to eat your food. Even if you only get a few bites in, give yourself a wee bit more time and a bit more notice. Listen to your sleeve. (Or in my case, it was listening to my sternum)

You knew what went wrong today- in that you got too hungry and ate it a bit too quickly. We've all done it.

Trial and error until you find your groove. I'm approaching 6 months and I've only just found my groove and even then, I can try something and think 'Whooooa.. no baby, no more of you is going into my mouth!'

This is largely fatty and sugary stuff, so I'm lucky in that respect.

I know that at 7 bites (of pretty much most things), I'll be nigh-on full. So i stop, mull things over and if I want more, I'll wait a little bit more then give it a try. More often than not, the last bite is most definitely the last one!!!

Don't worry about the 'full feeling'. It will be with you presently!!!

What you need to focus on right now is making the right choices for the small capacity you have and sustaining your energy, Water and Protein levels.

Listen to your body and you'll get there. :)

Madam, THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! your post is so helpful and encouraging, I really appreciate it! Thx :)