Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost my mojo. Can you help me find it?

Three years ago I had set my mind into having bariatric surgery. I searched information on the internet and came across lapbandtalk. Through this website I found the information I needed to make a decision and a commitment to have lap band surgery. I lost about 50 pounds before I was banded in Sept 2011. I lost another 60 pounds by Feb 2012. I felt like the model lap bander. I loved working out. I loved Protein Shakes. Everything was easy peasy.

I had a really bad break up from my boyfriend on Valentines day, 2012. After that day, I just didn't care anymore what happened to me. I gave up. I ate with reckless abandon. Fast forward to now. I have gained ALL but 24 pounds of my weight back. I finally went back to my surgeon a few weeks ago after my gastrointestial system began rebelling and causing great discomfort. He removed all the Fluid in my band and sent me for an upper GI series. Thank goodness everything was ok with my band.

I just got home from seeing the surgeon. He and I had a very long discussion about the band, my weight gain, and where to go from here. We discussed having gastric bypass. I am cautiously considering this as an option. In the mean time, I have to give my band another try. The surgeon gave me a 3cc fill. He is sending me back to the nutritionist and the psychologist.

I know I have it in me to get it back on track, but I need some help. So I am reaching out to the good people at the place where I began this journey. I would love to find a texting buddy or email buddy that will hold me accountable and encourage me to make positive choices.

Edited by kristallynn13

I guess I don't understand if the band was so successful when you were working with it, why the discussion of a different WLS. All WLS will fail if you give up on them. I know people with GB that have inquired about banding their bypass. I work with a lady who had GB and advised me not to get rid of my big clothes. She said she did and now that she's starting to gain she would like to have them back.

I understand where you are at. . . . I had my band placed in 2006 and sucessfully lost 70 pounds. In years following my husband died & then I had breast cancer which with resulted in surgery. Now I've returned to the bariatric center and my surgeon just smiled & told me I'd stretched my pouch above the band he would see me in one year. I've gained back some of the weight and am trying to mentally get on track. Next week I have an appointment with a therapist to guide me and hopefully get me on path.

I like your word "mojo" because I need a push & a good shove to find my way back to the good life. I do love my band and it's placement resulted in correcting diabetes, high Blood Pressure & other health problems. I can't see where a sleeve would do anything for me. . . . . . I believe my problem is me.

Do you track everything you eat and do on myfitnesspal? My username here is the same there. Seeing what everyone is eating and exercising keeps me encouraged to keep at it. Seeing their total weight loss and weigh-in encourages me as well. There are a few other forums for myfitnesspal for lots of others usernames because we all want more friends. After you post you could request critiques. Might be a good start. Especially if you'll be seeing a NUT anytime soon that can give them the serious tools needed for an analysis to help you out.

Hi Kristall and welcome back. Choosing yourself first and your healthy happy future is a ver powerful step -- doing it for YOU. When I began to think of my life this way it changed so much for me. It seemed selfish or something and I was always seeing to other people's needs instead of my own. When I out myself first of course every one around me benefits, too, but the point is that our own happiness needs to be central. In that way we start loving ourselves and taking good care if your body becomes a part of that. Caring what happens to you needs to come from you. I found it helpful to see a therapist when I was revving up to get the band and I found that helpful. Sometimes it's good to have some outside assistance. Best wishes to you as you regroup and reinvest in your life. It goes by fast so seize the day and don't worry about yesterday, last week, last month, last year -- be in today and be happy!

Come on Kristol you weight 188? that was lower than where I started. You can absolutely work your band. I personally would not want bypass surgery unless it was an emergency. Breaks ups and life in General suck sometimes but you have to love yourself enough to want to be healthy and thin.. Get back on that horse honey and you will be way better off than having a major surgery. Carnie Wilson had bypass and ate her way back up to her original weight and then some.. She now has a band over the bypass. There is no fool proof system. Your Surgeon wants to make $$$$ ....

Sharpie I am not 188. I am 284. I can't figure out how to change my weight that shows on my profile. I also don't believe my surgeon is pushing me to make money. I am probably pushing him more. He told me flat out that my success rate with GB isn't going to be any better. He said it is an option but that I should give my lapband another try. I have failed the lapband. I know it is all me. I know I need to go to counseling but I have done all that and am unsure how much it really helps me. In the past year or so since I have been gaining my weight back I have been suicidal most days. So taking care of my life was something not high on my list of priorities. The band does not like my antidepressant Zoloft. For some reason it gets stuck and I have terrible heartburn for hours later. I have worked with my PCP to try other antidepressants but none seems to work as well and I am tired of feeling like a guinea pig for pharmaceuticals.

Six weeks ago my surgeon removed all the Fluid from my band and I was able to restart my Zoloft. I was feeling much more upbeat and eager to start losing weight again. After getting a 3cc fill yesterday, my Zoloft got stuck. I am going to try and crush the pill and see if I can tolerate it.

I do believe that every new day we are blessed with is an opportunity to make a change. I am making this change again. I just really wanted to reach out to someone that could help with support. I welcome and appreciate all constructive criticism.

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear. I've been there. Unfortunately Zoloft makes me nauseated so that doesn't work for me. I've tried others but I didn't like the side effects either. Not that depression is better but nauseated, but that was my deciding factor. Yeah talk to pharmacist/doctors. Hopefully you can crush it and it'll go down. Do you drink plenty of Water with your medicine? I know some docs limit how much water you can drink with meds but mine doesn't. Not telling you to bypass your doctors rules but um, it's an option.

I had those same similar thoughts when I got divorced. It sucks. It absolutely sucks. Some people are able to move on with life with a little bit of sadness and can pick themselves back up. It took me a LONG time to get better. Hope mentally you get there soon. It is definitely easier said than done but I hope you feel better soon and get over this current mountain of an obstacle. Your weight will get there. Just need to find the right channel in your brain to switch on as well as switching off the bad channel. That's definitely difficult. You'll get there someday.

(Hugs)

Use what works for you mentally, but Zoloft made me gain and retain weight! Mind is more important than waist, but by being over weight that made me more depressed.

Sharpie I am not 188. I am 284. I can't figure out how to change my weight that shows on my profile. I also don't believe my surgeon is pushing me to make money. I am probably pushing him more. He told me flat out that my success rate with GB isn't going to be any better. He said it is an option but that I should give my lapband another try. I have failed the lapband. I know it is all me. I know I need to go to counseling but I have done all that and am unsure how much it really helps me. In the past year or so since I have been gaining my weight back I have been suicidal most days. So taking care of my life was something not high on my list of priorities. The band does not like my antidepressant Zoloft. For some reason it gets stuck and I have terrible heartburn for hours later. I have worked with my PCP to try other antidepressants but none seems to work as well and I am tired of feeling like a guinea pig for pharmaceuticals.

Six weeks ago my surgeon removed all the Fluid from my band and I was able to restart my Zoloft. I was feeling much more upbeat and eager to start losing weight again. After getting a 3cc fill yesterday, my Zoloft got stuck. I am going to try and crush the pill and see if I can tolerate it.

I do believe that every new day we are blessed with is an opportunity to make a change. I am making this change again. I just really wanted to reach out to someone that could help with support. I welcome and appreciate all constructive criticism.

I am on anti-depressants too. My psychiatrist was able to get me my particular medicine in liquid form. Worth checking into. Maybe Zoloft has a liquid counterpart. {{{HUGS}}} I know it is so hard. My problem is me too!

"I gave up. I ate with reckless abandon"

I read these stories all the time....I'm sorry, but for me this is one thing I am still trying to understand...after 3 years.

I had surgery because I could not control my eating...the Lap Band now does that for me...

Did the band not do that for you?

Even if I wanted to, I do not see how it would be possible...I have been on all inclusive vacations where food was always available...I threw caution to the wind and put the band to the test...and it prevented me from overeating...

Stress, grief, party celebrations, family dinners...does not matter to me...the band is the band, is the band...it does not change unless I should have Fluid taken out, which I do hear here from time to time....that I can understand.

I'm not being accusatory, and single you or anybody else out....just something I still do not understand, although I read it here every day....people falling off the wagon...needing to get back on track....

It sounds like things I would have said when I was attempting to loose weight and failing with so many diets....I would give up...but surgery prevents me from doing so, no matter what I may want to do...

That is why I have been successful with WLS as opposed to other attempts at loosing weight....

(((Hugs))) to you! I'll say this I know where you're coming from. I am a licensed therapist/clinician who has lap band and I gained some weight back BUT I've done a complete 180 and lost more weight than when I started and have changed my body.

Please inbox me and we can chat for support. I'm coming to you not as a therapist but fellow lap bander.

For many of us emotional eating is difficult and as stated above, doesn't matter which WLS you can trick it and eat past it. Have to work on those broken places in your heart and mind. I was going through some personal and weight stresses and began eatin ice cream and junk food. I had to stop, because I was killing myself all over again.

This thing is a lifelong journey. The falling off its te problem, what's important is that you get back up again!! Deal with the emotional eating and what's eating you first.

Just a thought on the meds - if what I'm taking might get stuck I drink a full glass of Water 30 minutes before taking it. Then at the time I drink some warm tea before and after. The Water before ensures there's nothin built up above the band (I have allergies and feel like mucus sometimes does that) and then the warm tea seems to relax everything.

Best wishes on getting back on track.

It will be hard, but you can do it. Get back with doctor and psychologist. Go back to step 1 and continue to work the program one day at a time. Overeaters Anonymous and other programs like WW and TOPS might be of some help too. Get where there is support. If your surgeon offers support groups go to those. It will work again. I have know a few who have gone from band to by pass or sleeve with success, but remember it will be more surgery to your body.

I am in a similar situation. Started at 289 was banded last June . List about 50 pounds up dwn up down.. Had revision in October and then hystwrectomy . I was doing great then last couple months I have been cheating the band and really only cheating myself.

I do exercise a lot but the food is the problem . I have had one fill and so have restriction in the morning but seems as the day goes on I can eat .. I have committed starting today to follow the band rules as I weighed today at 255 . I know I can do this and want to get a chunk off before my band one year date . So I'm taking it one day at a time .. You can too !!!