Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I ate a solid too early...need ideas to be prepared. Please help...

So, I am 10 days out. Other than having no energy and hating the taste of Protein Shakes, I guess it's been okay. I am not used to it yet.

I am on full liquids, and I hate it. Not so much, "I want fried chicken" but more "I hate soup/protein shakes/anything liquid".

I ate a slice of turkey bacon...slowly. I KNOW it's way too early, but I just wanted some meat.

I have unflavored Protein powder, every cream and broth based Soup in a 5 mile radius, milk, Protein shakes, greek yogurt in every flavor. I am so confused about what to eat. I don't like cottage cheese or things like that. I have sugar free popsicles for the crunch but the artificial sweetener makes my stomach upset and gassy.

I brought this up during my one week post op, but the clinician seemed disinterested, maybe she was having a bad day. She only suggested different flavors of greek yogurt (sigh...).

I don't want to fail this early on, and I kind of want to get a handle on it before the next stage...purees. Because, to be frank, the thought of eating blended meat makes me nauseous and I don't know how anyone does it. I also don't like eggs or mayo or mustard, so I have never had an egg salad or tuna salad or anything.

I guess I could live off of liquid Protein supplements and Clear Liquids until the solid food stage, but I really don't want to.

I just don't know what to do, so if anyone has any advice or encouragement, it would be greatly appreciated.

Love.

Try a light cheese stick! Turns to mush when you chew it really well and they are a great source of protein! They weren't on my list until 2 weeks post op though so you might want to wait until the purée stage...

You're on full liquids... for a reason. No.. no cheese stick or other non full liquids. Were you aware of this stage prior to surgery and not prepared?

Get your head into the game of succeeding or yes, you will fail.

For your safety you have to follow the prescribed diet.

This ----

liq·uid

ˈlikwid/
adjective 1.
  1. having a consistency like that of Water or oil, i.e., flowing freely but of constant volume.
    synonyms: Fluid, liquefied;
  2. 2.
    (of a sound) clear, pure, and flowing; harmonious.
    "the liquid song of the birds"
    synonyms: pure, clear, mellifluous, dulcet, mellow, sweet, sweet-sounding, soft,melodious, harmonious More
    noun
    a liquid substance.
  1. "drink plenty of liquids"
    synonyms: fluid, moisture; More
  2. PHONETICS
    a liquid consonant.
    NOT THIS ---- SO-LIDS, SOFT FOODS, MUS-HY, PUR-EE........
    End of explanation.

Edited by Recycled

It's crazy to me how much all of our diets differ. My center progresses us to puréed Proteins on post op day 3.

We are allowed to add butter, mayo, oil, broths, etc. to the Protein. I've had chicken salad, tuna salad, and eggs so far. They've all been decent actually. Buy some good spices and add them to the Protein.

I have a horrible gag reflex and thought that I couldn't do the purées, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be actually. They say your taste buds change after surgery, so maybe you'll like some things now that you didn't before. You never know till you try. :)

Hey glitter I don't get those puréed foods until week 3 and 4! How have they been treating you? I am not very hungry at all but I can't wait to have some eggs lol! Week 2 for me is puréed Soups with no chunks so we shall see how that goes! I am looking forward to week 3 and 4 for me though

I too dislike cottage cheese with a passion, not a fan of Greek yoghurt at all, eggs after the op are not my friend at all so they are no good!
In that stage for me I pretty much did tuna, ready brek (Breakfast Cereal like flaked oats) with Protein powder on it (which was kinda gross honestly lol)
Stewed my own fruit for mushy fruit sweet stuff to have a different taste (also mixed it with my crushed up meds to swallow easier)
Other types of fish either in a can like sardines or that I baked or poached it’s a soft food and very easy to eat and mash up the fish flakes in your mouth.
Think baby food if you can shove it in a blender with a sauce/gravy etc and whiz it up to a mush your good to go.
Tuna doesn’t have to be with mayo try like some lemon or lime juice pepper mix it together.
Or make a kinda Italian tuna little bit of oil some seasoning maybe a little finely finely diced onion.
Or grated cheese and tuna with some onion (that I used to like on toast then toasted, I also used to do that as a like hot pocket in a sandwich maker lol)
Mix it with some Tomato sauce and seasoning. (Not ketchup btw like tomato Pasta sauce)
Tuna really doesn’t have to be with just mayo.

Edited by sassypants

Hey glitter I don't get those puréed foods until week 3 and 4! How have they been treating you? I am not very hungry at all but I can't wait to have some eggs lol! Week 2 for me is puréed Soups with no chunks so we shall see how that goes! I am looking forward to week 3 and 4 for me though

I am starting to worry that maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm actually hungry and I'm eating almost 3 oz of pureed Protein three times per day per my surgeon's instructions. I'm just seeing everyone else's meal plans and now worrying that I'm going to not lose anything and this is going to all be for nothing.

MN_Thin, I am also 10 day out. I'm still liking the Atkins shakes and my cream of Tomato Soup (with skim milk) is awesome. Not a fan of the clear broth. Please stay on your diet as your Doctor has directed. My doctor is letting me start the Puree stage on Sunday. I can't wait because I'm hungry too. I bought the book Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies. It has a bunch of recipies and ideas for food at the pureed stage and the soft food stage as well as recipes for the forever diet. Go get one of these books and you will learn how to add variety and taste to your diet. This will make a difference and you won't feel so helpless. Let me know how it goes. Good luck to you. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

I also thought puree would be nasty but after 20 days of liquids it was great. It's just what you would normally eat in a blender. Tastes pretty much the same, not so bad. Just stick to your plan, it's hard, I know, but really it's for such a short time then you'll never have to do it again. In a month you'll be glad you followed the plan.

Those are some great ideas, thanks...

I don't get where the "you WILL fail" idea came from and why it got so many likes....what did I do to indicate a propensity to fail? I recognized an issue early on, and asked for help (both here and from a medical professional).

I didn't think putting the definition for "liquid" was helpful; I mentioned and recognize that I will have this issue when I move to the next stage as well, so I wanted to prepare.

And of course I "knew this was coming"...I am just unfortunate enough not to have psychic powers and know what experience and issues will be particular to my post-op. I researched a lot, but I didn't foresee an issue with the in-between stages.

Such a mixed bag here. Back to lurking, thanks all.

Love,

I don't get where the "you WILL fail" idea came from and why it got so many likes....what did I do to indicate a propensity to fail? I recognized an issue early on, and asked for help (both here and from a medical professional).

I didn't think putting the definition for "liquid" was helpful; I mentioned and recognize that I will have this issue when I move to the next stage as well, so I wanted to prepare.

And of course I "knew this was coming"...I am just unfortunate enough not to have psychic powers and know what experience and issues will be particular to my post-op. I researched a lot, but I didn't foresee an issue with the in-between stages.

Love,

Hi M N_thin 0211

No, that wasn't a helpful post and hopefully you are not completely discouraged. For me I could not tolerate the Protein shakes (it didn't matter how it was "doctored" up). I lived off Water and very small amounts a Protein Shakes for the first two/three weeks. I was not a happy camper. Do you like clam chowder? I sipped the liquid and left the chewable parts. Week three I was also nibbling on mozzarella sticks. Ask your doctor if It's ok for you. I'll admit, I didn't ask, during week three I just did it (it was on my approved list). I chewed it so well it was basically evaporating in my mouth. That was really the only thing I could eat (and I have never been a cheese person). My doctor did tell me I could have smoothies. I understand every doctor is different, but my doctor was all for it. I bypassed the pureed stage by drinking smoothies and shakes (i looked up different nutritious smoothies) and occasional mozzarella cheese sticks.

I will never find pureed anything appealing ;).

You'll be ok, don't worry you won't fail. It's a stumbling block, goodness knows I have stumbled. Nothing is the same for everyone. Only you know your body and what you can tolerate.

Chin up cricket!!! You'll find your groove :). Good luck to you, and happy journey.

Love,

Please don't let others on here discourage you for asking for help. The boards are meant to be a safe-haven where you can find answers to questions and a boost to your self-esteem.

I understand wanting something different. I am on week two of post-op clears (meaning week 4 total of liquids) and I'm going crazy. Unfortunately I don't have an answer. I just deal and when I'm having a really bad craving I go for a walk. I just get out of the house and away from the food and the people eating it.

I hope you are doing better with your meal plan. You can do this and most of us are in it together and are on this site to help and encourage. Ignore the others.

Jen

Those are some great ideas, thanks... I don't get where the "you WILL fail" idea came from and why it got so many likes....what did I do to indicate a propensity to fail? I recognized an issue early on, and asked for help (both here and from a medical professional). I didn't think putting the definition for "liquid" was helpful; I mentioned and recognize that I will have this issue when I move to the next stage as well, so I wanted to prepare. And of course I "knew this was coming"...I am just unfortunate enough not to have psychic powers and know what experience and issues will be particular to my post-op. I researched a lot, but I didn't foresee an issue with the in-between stages. Such a mixed bag here. Back to lurking, thanks all. Love,

All of my tastes changed. I can't drink plain Water. Anything sweet literally gags me , and so it's hard for me to find things that settle right. I can't wait to progress to puréed foods in 2 weeks. I know it gets tiring and boring but remember to take a ppi antacid Bc acid mimics hunger. I take protonix twice daily and a lot of others take it, or omeprezole.

Also, when u post on these boards you're gonna get all sorts of different views. Please don't be discouraged. We do not want to see anyone fail. Sometimes people are very blunt, but you take what you can from all of the posters and leave what advice that doesn't work for you out of the equation. What works for someone may not work for you.

This lifestyle change is very hard. But yes, we are here to support you. Lots of (((hugs))), April