Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know what to do i have two sisters that have a Lap band One of my sisters lost weight fast my other sister is losing the weight very very very slow!! So my sister that is losing the weight Slow Said that she wish she would've done the sleeve And so did my doctor suggest that I do the sleeve Only because he says I wouldn't have to come every 2 or 3 months To be poked And the doctor also says because I have 70 pounds to lose that it's easier with sleeve And faster but my older sister lost weight fast and lost over 70 pounds just don't know what to do but going to the doctor every 2or3 months to have it fixed or poked it could be aggravating Plus it's money to go every two or three months in case it slips for anything that goes wrong but I'm just scared to get my stomach actually cut I'm just scared I don't know The doctors ready for me to get the sleeve or the band whichever one i choose but But I have to get a hysterectomy First Has any of you had a hysterectomy before the surgery or should I do the surgery first and then Hysterectomy Sorry for all the questions I just don't know what to do. :(

speaking for myself. i was going to have gastric bypass because of my diabetes. but the doctor was unable to perform it due to adhesions and scar tissue. he gave me a lap band. the wt. loss is slow for me but for some the wt. comes right off. but my health has improved drastically. i am learning how to eat. and hopefully this willl be a forever wt. loss. and i enjoy my visits with my pa and doctor. they give me as much time as i need to discuss food, pain, exercise and develope a plan for the month. for 8 months we have developed a great relationship and i know they are on my side. the question about the hysterectomy is one best discussed with your doctor. your gyn and bariatric. good luck

Speaking for myself I chose the sleeve for that very reason. I didn't want to have a chance to have some of the issues with the band. The sleeve for me has been the best choice I ever made. I'm 5 months out and 30 pounds from goal. It's such a personal decision and one you should research for yourself. Good luck with whatever you chose :)

First...i am 110% happy and pleased with the band...last ALL my excess weight, AND in my case, was the EASIEST thing I could have done...the band did all the work! All I needed to do was change my lifestyle to meet the bands demands....

I never counted calories or measured portions other than within the first 2-3 months....

Have not had a single complication, no complaints, and today live a day by day normal life without giving anything much of a second thought, it has all become 2nd nature...

I am not afraid of ever gaining any weight back, and cannot understand how I can ever "Fall off the wagon"...as long as the band is still there, properly adjusted and doing what it is, and has been doing for 3 years now....

Having said all that, I often think that perhaps I should have had the sleeve....I am always careful of the possible complications such as erosion, slippage that many people talk about here...

I'm also concerned about leakage?

I have 0% belly fat...which means my port is right there under a thing layer of skin, pressed tightly against my abb's....you can see every nook and cranny, even the tubing as it snakes 2-3" before going deep....looks like a tumor or something...it's hard, being a man, to walk around topless at the beach, etc...(always have to hold my beer in front of it)

I'm 62 years old, and have considered revision to the sleeve before I'm 65?

I am also well aware that the problems associated with the band are mostly exaggerated, and there is a "Sky is falling" mentality....a few people have a legitimate problem, then suddenly everybody is worried they are having the same thing....

But like I said...I am completely happy, could not be more pleased with the results and the quality of my life right now....

I don't know what to do i have two sisters that have a Lap band One of my sisters lost weight fast my other sister is losing the weight very very very slow!! So my sister that is losing the weight Slow Said that she wish she would've done the sleeve And so did my doctor suggest that I do the sleeve Only because he says I wouldn't have to come every 2 or 3 months To be poked And the doctor also says because I have 70 pounds to lose that it's easier with sleeve And faster but my older sister lost weight fast and lost over 70 pounds just don't know what to do but going to the doctor every 2or3 months to have it fixed or poked it could be aggravating Plus it's money to go every two or three months in case it slips for anything that goes wrong but I'm just scared to get my stomach actually cut I'm just scared I don't know The doctors ready for me to get the sleeve or the band whichever one i choose but But I have to get a hysterectomy First Has any of you had a hysterectomy before the surgery or should I do the surgery first and then Hysterectomy Sorry for all the questions I just don't know what to do. :(

well, i was well over 330 pounds and my dr wanted me to do a bypass due

to my size...i was as wide as i am tall.....and the band/pliacation i have works...the dr told me how to use it for best results and that is exactly what i am doing.....any WLS is a wonderful thing but no one WLS is better than the other...any WLS can and does have complications and sometimes not..you cant spend your life wondering will it slip, will i this or will i that......i was at a point to where i was in serious trouble.......i stopped hem hawing and got on with saving my life.....

larger BMI people can lose weight faster than those who do not have as much to lose (i am now where some are just banded and it took me 19 months to get here)...we all lose weight 1/4 pound at a time (whether its the sleeve, the bypass, the band or nutri system......the same way as we gained it, 1/4 pound at a time..

to me, as long as one loses weight, gets healthy and changes their attitude from i cant and i never have been to yes i will....then whatever WLS one gets, has that chance to get well..as its about getting healthy, not being skinny or thin.......i wish you all the best.

Julie - I had a total hysterectomy eight months prior to my band surgery. I did not plan it that way, but that's how it worked out. At the time of my hysterectomy, bariatric surgery wasn't even a thought in my mind. I had female issues, and had to resolve them. It wasn't until a few months later that I decided to move forward with WLS.

As far as what to do first, you need to work that out with your gynecologist and your bariatric surgeon. Depending on the reason for a hysterectomy, that might be something you need to do first. Whatever is best for your health, is the way to go. Only your doctors can provide you with that direction.

As for sleeve vs. band, that is a very personal choice. If you are okay having 70-75% of your stomach removed, then maybe that is a good option. For me, I wanted something that I had more control over. I also had plication done with my band, which, I believe, has made a tremendous difference overall. But I do sleep much better at night knowing that the whole thing can be reversed.

One other thing to keep in mind..... Weight can be gained with each and every one of these surgeries. I'm at the 10 month mark, and already having times where I push it. I saw my doctor last week and got "the talking to". After time, we get used to the new "setup", and (if we're so inclined), find ways to eat around it. The same goes for the bypass, sleeve, band.....all of it. My sister works with a woman who had the sleeve, and she's put back quite a bit of weight. She can't eat a lot at one time, but she grazes on crap all day long. No matter which surgery you choose, it's ALL up to you/us. If we don't change our heads, there is no miracle out there to make us lose weight. It's a big decision, so just make sure that you do all the research. As you already see with your sisters, you can't go on any particular person's success with any surgery, because we are all different.

I wish you all the best :-)

Edited by mrsto

Don't go for suggestions. Get a prescription. If you have already been to a doctor, then there is no need to worry. Just follow your doctor's advice. Everything will be fine.

That was my biggest debate for the longest time - sleeve or band, sleeve or band.

There are pros and cons to each. Ultimately I chose the band. While I'm very concerned about losing the weight and having the port stick out, I was more comfortable with the adjustability factor of the band. I see that as a pro and yes I have to pay per visit but it seems like you see that as a con. I like that theoretically at any time I can either have it removed or reversed to sleeve. Once they cut and remove your stomach with the sleeve it's gone and you have limited options.

But one of my bigger considerations is that I went into this to lose the weight to get pregnant. The band will be adjustable that if I get too sick they can deflate it. I will also absorb the nutrients that I eat where sleeve or gastric I think has mal nutrition issues. Sounds like you're getting a hysterectomy before/after so that strong factor isn't really a factor for you.

I've read that sleeve patients do typically lose faster but we do tend to catch up and exceed them (per the studies I've read) but there are thousands of variants so you may read something differently. It's a tough call. Lots of opinions and conflicting 'facts'. Decide what's right for you, your habits, and what you can live with. Good luck!

I think you have a lot to think about and need to not rush in to weight loss surgery. Do your hysterectomy as planned by your doctor. Then when things calm down focus on your weight. Getting weight loss surgery is nothing to rush in to!! And you will have to be very focused with your after care, no matter what you choose. Do lots of research between now and then.

Second, about your sisters. Their weight loss is truly none of your business. Sounds harsh, but every person is different! If you doctor recommends one surgery over the other, s/he has good reason to based on your physical being. You may also want to seek a second opinion to be sure you're making the right decision. Each one has its pros and cons.

Good luck with both surgeries!

Thanks guys for all ur. Comments. I think I'm going with the sleeve and do my Hysterectomy first I just have to stop over thinking with the what Ifs!!!! And I know it's not all about being skinny it's about my health I know But the truth my health is not bad but if I Continue to have bad Choices in food it's not Gona be a happy ending I'm 37 I just wanted to be happy in my own body I lost wait b4 with diete pills lost all my weight and gaind it back and some I just want that feeling back to be happy in my own body but I don't wana die to get there. I hate cuz I don't have will Power to do it my self so when my sisters did it I said I m going try to Lose the weight myself. 1year later I'm sill at my Highest Weight 215 :( so I'm ready for a change but can't help but think what Ifs Guss I'm just crazy lol

You are totally normal not crazy. :) The decision to have wls is very much a hard choice for most of us. You have to face a lot of things about yourself in order to get to his point. And you will probably question yourself again and wanna back out. I know most of us do. But do your research and know your facts and you will be amazed at yourself. Good luck on the next step of your journey. :)

Thank

My highest weight was 214. So I feel your struggles with just losing it yourself. Unfortunately this is not a magical cure all. You will have to maintain this new lifestyle for life. I'm sure your sisters told you all about that. I went back and forth for a while, even when I had my surgery date, even when I was drinking the Protein Shakes, I still had doubts. I'm worried about falling off the wagon at some point and gaining it back. That's a real possibility for either band or sleeve. Definitely tough choices. I wish you the best. I'm 6 weeks post op and down to 189 but I've stalled between 188 and 190 right now. I should be happy with the weight loss, shouldn't compare to others but it's human nature. Be prepared (as best you can) to do what you can do and to be happy with yourself. It's difficult but you'll have to learn not to compare your success with against your sisters. Good luck and keep us updated :)

Thanks guys for all ur. Comments. I think I'm going with the sleeve and do my Hysterectomy first I just have to stop over thinking with the what Ifs!!!! And I know it's not all about being skinny it's about my health I know But the truth my health is not bad but if I Continue to have bad Choices in food it's not Gona be a happy ending I'm 37 I just wanted to be happy in my own body I lost wait b4 with diete pills lost all my weight and gaind it back and some I just want that feeling back to be happy in my own body but I don't wana die to get there. I hate cuz I don't have will Power to do it my self so when my sisters did it I said I m going try to Lose the weight myself. 1year later I'm sill at my Highest Weight 215 :( so I'm ready for a change but can't help but think what Ifs Guss I'm just crazy lol

no matter what WLS you decide to get.....unless one changes what they eat and exercise, no WLS will be successful...no will power needed....its want power.....want to lose weight and get healthy bad enough to do what you need/must do to make it happen....best of luck