Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op type 1s?

Are there any of you out there? I am having surgery on 2/13 and am wondering how the surgery will impact my diabetes? I am on a pump and have a great endo. I just haven't seen many posts from type 1s.

SAY BYE BYE we all hope to your diabetes,. Good luck and we all wish you the best with it.

Chris

SAY BYE BYE we all hope to your diabetes,. Good luck and we all wish you the best with it.

Chris

Thanks. Unfortunately type 1 never goes away.

If you do a search for forums with "type 1" in the title (include the quotes) you will find a few. I have heard some members with type 1 say that they were able to substantially reduce their insulin. It makes sense as it guides you toward a low-carb high-protein diet like Dr. Bernstein recommends. I am (was) type 2. I hope you find some folks to speak to about your type 1. Have you discovered http://tudiabetes.com?

Hi I am type 1 and have been for 32 years and I had surgery on Jan 6th. First week and half my sugars were running high but now my night time insulin has gone from 15 units of Lantus to 3 units. As far as day I am finally normally range on my original 50 units of Lantus but my doctor says that should start to come down soon. I think the blood sugars stayed high for a while cause it is so much stress on the body at first.

If you do a search for forums with "type 1" in the title (include the quotes) you will find a few. I have heard some members with type 1 say that they were able to substantially reduce their insulin. It makes sense as it guides you toward a low-carb high-protein diet like Dr. Bernstein recommends. I am (was) type 2. I hope you find some folks to speak to about your type 1. Have you discovered http://tudiabetes.com?

What a great site. Thanks!

Hi I am type 1 and have been for 32 years and I had surgery on Jan 6th. First week and half my sugars were running high but now my night time insulin has gone from 15 units of Lantus to 3 units. As far as day I am finally normally range on my original 50 units of Lantus but my doctor says that should start to come down soon. I think the blood sugars stayed high for a while cause it is so much stress on the body at first.

Thank you do replying! Congrats on reducing your insulin. Keep me updated on your progress! I am 3 weeks away from surgery so I will know soon how I do!

I too am a Type 1 diabetic and waiting for insurance approval. The one part that scares me is low blood sugar reactions. You need to glucose fast in those times and was wondering if anyone had any reactions soon after surgery? I have purchased liquid glucose, but a little concerned if I will be able to get it down if I need to. Any experiences would be great to hear.

I too am a Type 1 diabetic and waiting for insurance approval. The one part that scares me is low blood sugar reactions. You need to glucose fast in those times and was wondering if anyone had any reactions soon after surgery? I have purchased liquid glucose, but a little concerned if I will be able to get it down if I need to. Any experiences would be great to hear.

I am 4 weeks post op. I have gone low at least once a day. Not trying to scare you. I have glucose gel and tabs. I can even drink juice. My only issue was the first two weeks post op whenever I had the glucose or juice it made me nauseas. But I never threw up so my sugars came back to normal. I feel great having better blood sugar control.

Hi, Jen. I am a 38 year old Type 1 on a pump. I had lap band surgery in 2008 and now am scheduling a revision to the sleeve in May this year. I initially lost 100 lbs with the band but have had issues with it being too tight/ too loose and lots of vomiting. At this point, I've gained back 50 lbs. So disappointing! I can tell you that prior to my band, I was on over 100 units of insulin a day- Lantus and novolog. Post surgery, my insulin was cut by 75%. However, 2 years after the band, I got my pump and it's been wonderful. Since Ive gained back the 50 lbs, my sugars have been in the 200 and 300's which is another reason I want the revision. I would love to keep in contact with you! Also, I would love to hear all about how your sleeve surgery went and how your progress is going. Thanks!
Christina Z.

Hi Jen,

I have been a Type I since the age of 8.I had the surgery 3.5 months ago and in terms of control, it has made a world of difference! I am beyond happy that whenever I check my blood, I can expect the "Wilford Brimley" blood sugar. (You know those obnoxious commercials with 'ole Wilford claiming he had a 94 glood sugar?) Anyway, now that I am down 35 pounds, I am finding far too many reactions popping up. I have cut my daily totals from about 80 units a day to 26. I typically don't need to bolus. So, it's driving me a bit nuts, but I know it's all good. I am looking forward to an amazing A1C for the first time in years.

Taking all the good and bad together, it is the best decision I ever made! :)

Amy

Hi, Jen. I am a 38 year old Type 1 on a pump. I had lap band surgery in 2008 and now am scheduling a revision to the sleeve in May this year. I initially lost 100 lbs with the band but have had issues with it being too tight/ too loose and lots of vomiting. At this point, I've gained back 50 lbs. So disappointing! I can tell you that prior to my band, I was on over 100 units of insulin a day- Lantus and novolog. Post surgery, my insulin was cut by 75%. However, 2 years after the band, I got my pump and it's been wonderful. Since Ive gained back the 50 lbs, my sugars have been in the 200 and 300's which is another reason I want the revision. I would love to keep in contact with you! Also, I would love to hear all about how your sleeve surgery went and how your progress is going. Thanks!

Christina Z.

Happy Girl I am so sorry I didn't respond sooner. I must have read your post and meant to reply and forgot. I understand how it's easy to gain weight with a pump. I am now almost 8 weeks out and am the happiest I have been in a long time. My A1C has gone from a 10 to 8.1 and is going down at a pace that makes my strict endo very happy. I'm down 30 pounds now and under 200 pounds for the first time in years. Going from the band to the sleeve was the best decision I ever made. If you would like to email or text back and forth please send me a private message. I have started texting with a woman I met in my nutrition pre-op class and it has been so helpful.

Again, sorry for the delay!

Jen

Hi Jen,

I have been a Type I since the age of 8.I had the surgery 3.5 months ago and in terms of control, it has made a world of difference! I am beyond happy that whenever I check my blood, I can expect the "Wilford Brimley" blood sugar. (You know those obnoxious commercials with 'ole Wilford claiming he had a 94 glood sugar?) Anyway, now that I am down 35 pounds, I am finding far too many reactions popping up. I have cut my daily totals from about 80 units a day to 26. I typically don't need to bolus. So, it's driving me a bit nuts, but I know it's all good. I am looking forward to an amazing A1C for the first time in years.

Taking all the good and bad together, it is the best decision I ever made! :)

Amy

Hahaha. I absolutely understand the perfect 94 reading. I remember when I was younger and all the one touch boxes had the same number showing on their meters. It's like that.

I am over 7 weeks out and feel amazing. My A1c is down to 8.1 from 10 and my weight is down 35 pounds. I am just feeling great with tons of energy. I have a fitbit now and I love having such a great tool to keep track of my activity and food. Keep up the great work! Sounds like this has been a good experience. When you say you don't need to bolus is that the new normal or do you have to bolus now and didn't before?

Hi again,

I don't need to bolus now, except occasionally I need to for a Quest bar. Otherwise, I always regret it because I get a low. Great job on your A1C! I get my next one in a couple of weeks, and I am praying for that elusive "under 7". I am keeping my fingers crossed. Have you had to drop your basals a ton yet? Lately I seem to be having a reaction at least twice a day, and figuring it out is making me crazy. I need to consult my CDE about the settings. She can probably shed some light on the patterns that I don't see.

Hi again,

I don't need to bolus now, except occasionally I need to for a Quest bar. Otherwise, I always regret it because I get a low. Great job on your A1C! I get my next one in a couple of weeks, and I am praying for that elusive "under 7". I am keeping my fingers crossed. Have you had to drop your basals a ton yet? Lately I seem to be having a reaction at least twice a day, and figuring it out is making me crazy. I need to consult my CDE about the settings. She can probably shed some light on the patterns that I don't see.

I have dropped my basals. Started with a range of 2-3 units an hour. Now under 1 an hour. It's been great. The last time I got under 7 was when I was pregnant two years ago. My pregnancy was oddly easy. I had control of my sugars like never before. Or since. Haha. I am hoping to get back there in the next few months.