Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does everyone do with rice? How about wild rice? White rice expands. Sooo any thoughts?

I would recommend following your surgeons guidelines and being very careful as you test limits. I have experimented with rice in very small quantities and have been okay with brown or wild rice. Have not tried white rice as I can't see a benefit to eating it based on the limited nutritional value it has.

I agree with Brant. The amount of real estate it occupies for the nutritional value it delivers is just not worth it for me. So then, why eat it? Because that is what I used to do? If I am eating stir fry then I have to have rice ... if I want sushi (ick!) then I have to have rice ... right? Hmmm ... that is what I used to do and I was looking to make changes to what and why I was eating what I was eating. For me, rice only gets consumed accidently.

Quinoa, though ... now that begins to have some return on investment. Is that an option for you?

I know up here around Seattle, it is possible to get brown rice sushi. I haven't tried it yet, but I have friends who love the stuff.

Because that is what I used to do? If I am eating stir fry then I have to have rice ... if I want sushi (ick!) then I have to have rice ... right? Hmmm

Rice was one of the first things to go.....

I remember a private group I belonged to, as the veteran - mentor....where everyone else was newly banded....a month or 2 in and people were sharing stories about how the LOVED SUSHI.....I waned them,,,sure enough, after a few fills...I had to ask "What happened to all the SUSHI Lovers?"

I told you so...no matter how thorough you chew it, it is one of those foods that just gets mushier and stickier....but we have to learn these things for ourselves...

Edited by B-52

Thank you everyone! I was just curious because my sister made some wild rice Soup and it smelled soooooo amazing! I've tried a tiny bit of white rice and it gave me pain in my stomach! So I was wondering of wild rice expands or if its any different. I'm almost 8months out.

every once in a while I will steal a bit of Mexican rice off my husband's plate, but other than that I stay away from it - brown, wild or whatever. Dense calories and carbs with no benefit. For me, rice is not a good food when losing weight or trying to keep it off long term.

As far as tummy trouble, one bite did not bother me. I just choose to avoid it.

Sushi? I do sashimi now. Same flavor without the rice (more expensive though).

I eat brown rice on occasion and very rarely white rice. I'm more than 2.5 years out and at goal almost two years.

I think whole grains are good in limited doses if they are not a trigger food and if you can tolerate them. I did not eat rice tii about 1.5 years after surgery.

Lynda

Sashimi solves the problem for me as well -- and these days I'm not eating much so it's not too expensive. Trick is to go slowly enough as the people around me enjoying sushi just keep eating and eating and eating....

That used to be me!

No rice or VERY little for me. As others have said, makes me feel somewhat sick when it swells up. AND, as it is a carb, I don't usually have it except a couple bites will satisfy me.

After being back on a regular diet, I tried white rice twice and had late stage dumping both times. So much for white rice. Brown rice - no problems. You for sure want to stay away from it until you're on a normal diet and it would probably be even better to wait until you're a year post-up. Even then, I'd take it very slow until you find out how well you can tolerate it.

With or without rice - you're gonna love the new you!

Thank you so much for the reply!

How long do you have to wait to eat rice, Pasta. My surgery was 8/27/13 I'm still eating puree. I had gastric sleeve, can I eat regular food yet? I lost 50 pound

How long do you have to wait to eat rice, Pasta. My surgery was 8/27/13 I'm still eating puree. I had gastric sleeve, can I eat regular food yet? I lost 50 pound

You had surgery 5 months ago and you are still on purée? You should speak to your surgeon or dietitian.

Right after surgery I had a leakage that's why I'm still on purée my stomach just healed about 4 weeks ago. I had a total of 4 surgery to close my stomach. My doctor told me I can eat normal but I don't know wat to eat? HELP?