Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is it possible for me to gain5 lbs on one day if all I ate yesterday was 8 oz protien shake throughout the day and about 3/4 cup total between two meals of pureed watered down Turkey Chile? Other than that just water..crystal light and SF popsicles for liquids..also did the treadmill for 20 min...how did this happen?

I'm no expert and am only 20 days out but I was stalled for a few days where I didn't lose anything! From what I've read don't weigh yourself everyday. Your body weight fluctuates daily. Also your body is still adjusting to the surgery so your metabolism is still trying to figure things out. Just from what I've read. My grandma is also a nurse and said if you're not eating your 3 meals and 2 Snacks your body will go into "starvation mode" and try to keep the fat. Just some words to think on. Like I said I'm not an expert just what I've heard and read (: good luck!

The simple answer is "You didn't gain 5 pounds in one day." In order to gain 5 pounds (in any period of time), you would have had to consume 17,500 more calories than you consumed. Probably not possible with your new tiny tummy, right?

You just had major surgery and your body is trying to figure out what you did to it. Your brain wants the scale to move, which it will, once your body figures things out.

I have a couple of suggestions -

1. don't weigh yourself every day. It will drive you crazy. My husband hides the scale and brings it out once per week. I've read some docs don't want you to weigh the first month.

2. Stick to your plan - the plan provided by your doctor or NUT. They know best. There is no way you're not losing weight.

3. Be patient - you didn't gain this weight in a month, you can't expect to lose it in a month.

Hang in there, sweetie. This isn't a spring, it's a marathon.

Thanks..and I hear you...since surgery I had bee weighing myself every morning...yesterday I was down to 260...24 lbs since surgery on 12/20..and this am 265...I cldnt believe it..especially since I probably only consumed 400 calories Max yesterday! Lol..I wonder if this means I might actually get my period? ( in the past with weight loss before surgery it woldnt come or cone weeks late with any significant loss)

I could be because it's that time of the month.

Seriously, don't stress over the scale. It's so not worth the anxiety it creates.

When you look at how many calories the body burns just being, it's a lot more than you're taking in right now. There is no way you are not losing fat - that's what you want to get right of. You are burning fat, but there are so many more things going on with your body.

You could be at the beginning of a stall - I went thru a stall for 13 days between weeks 4 and 5. The scale did not move and it was hard to get thru that. That was when my husband hid the scale and I'm so thankful he did. I knew the stall was going to happen because I've read a thousand threads about it. I wasn't mentally prepared for it. I will be ready for the next one and I know there will be a next one and one after that and one after that, and so on.

Good point...I've read about them as well just wasn't prepared for it to kick off with a big gain...ur right ..it is stressing me out..more than it should I think too because I have my 2 week post op with surgeon tmrw and I wanted to show as much progress as possible ...dang mindgames..lol

Even further out, don't stress about the scale. This week so far I have weighed 194, 193, 198, 197, 193 and 196. Not everyone has these kinds of fluctuations, but I seem to have them regularly…most often in a time period when I am stabilizing downward.

What's my real weight? Oh, probably around 194/195. And I think my body is considering letting me go to 192/193 shortly. If my patterns hold, I'll bounce around those numbers for a week or three, and then all of a sudden I will start hitting 190/191 some days and bounce back up to 194/195 until I'm stabilized lower again.

Am I getting my Protein in? Water? Am I exercising? Have I pooped? Am I avoiding junk? Are my carbs at the right level? How's my sodium? Is it that time of the month?

These are the only questions I worry about. I don't obsess about the scale even though I weigh every day. If you obsess, don't weigh every day. I look pretty much only at what things look like week to week, and my numbers this week are consistently about 1-2 pounds less than last week's. Done.

I'll add this....im guessing the chilu had sodium in it. That coupled with the usual pause or stall we all go threw..im sure yourbody is just hanging onto each and every thing you give it right now.

Stick with your plan and stay the course. Your just fine.

I gained a good 10-12 post op from all the hospital fluids. Took a couole weeks to lose it all finslly...but then lost 30 the first month. It will all even out.

Ya never know what your body is thinking.

Your body could retain 5 pounds of Water just because you watched Lawrence of Arabia.

Ok, probably not, ......never mind. :D

Edited by gmanbat

I am extremely salt sensitive and have to really watch my sodium intake.

I also weigh myself every morning. But by reading the previous posts it is not a good idea to do that. With me if I see an increase in weight I will really watch what I eat. This is a bad habit of mine. Trying hard to stop. I am also very salt sensitive. Also I am so confused it hear a lot of you talk about a nutritionist , but have never seen one. I just wing it. Any suggestions would help me. Starting weight before surgery 296. Current. Weight 252. Surgery 11/5/13. 8 weeks out.

Hi Patty, I think weighing every day works for some people and not for others. The biggest part of this whole WLS "journey" is figuring out what works for me.

Did your office not offer nutritional information or require meeting with a NUT prior to surgery? Never fear. I know that there is a list of links to post-op guidelines floating around here someplace. I'll search it and see if I can post a link.

Fluffnomore gave you the definitive list. There is a PDF of good advice in my signature, too.