Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on July 24, 2013... Have lost 35 lbs total and am just wondering what everyone does to fight the head hunger that occurs when you're not hungry! I currently have 6.2 cc's in a 10 cc band .. Not at green yet but getting there! I have restriction but have learned how to eat around the band!!! I don't do it often and most days ... Especially when I am working and busy .. I follow the rules and do well! But I have days when I just fall off the wagon! I don't over eat .. EVER! My struggle is eating small things here and there and then I don't want my meals! Wouldn't be bad if I was eating good food choices but they are not! So... I need advice ... How do I put the Cookies, chips.. Ect down? I know this is an emotional struggle and I am aware this is my failure not the bands! Suggestions.....

When I started this journey I had no idea what emotional eating was. I read somewhere that men eat when they're hungry and women eat when they are bored. The dietician told me to ask myself when I get hungry "Am I really hungry or is this just an impulse?" Most of the time it's an impulse because there was a commercial for Friday's Babyback Ribs or Wendy's new burger.

(On a side note, I've never realized how many food commercials are on TV until I decided to become healthy.)

Just internalizing if my head was hungry or I was physically hungry have helped me out a grata deal. Also just because we've chosen to make a lifestyle change doesn't mean you can't have that cookie or that slice of cheesecake just limit the size of what you consume. The more you deny yourself the little sweet pleasures in life the more your body will crave it. Have one cookie and savor it.

I've been banded almost 2 years and still struggle with this.

For me, I find it an ongoing process. First, I had to clean my house out of all "trigger foods". The grazing you do? I do it too. I find if I get all the foods that are going to make me want to graze and leave only healthy foods, then I don't eat nearly as much and when I do at least it's a good choice. The second part of this is, if I am going to indulge on a cookie or ice cream, it's then a conscious decision requiring me to go to the store for whatever treat it is I'm going to have. 90% of the time this alone makes me not indulge because the time I get ready to go out, I realize it's not worth the calories (or money) and decide against it anyway.

Bottom line- if you want to put the Cookies and chips down, get them out of your house entirely so you can't pick them up to begin with. It will help you a lot.

Best wishes.

Oh I wish I could do that! My 13 year old daughter is in a cookie making trip for the holidays! Ugh! And I also have a 7 year old! I have cut back drastically but can't eliminate everything! I know you are right and I need to get it out ... Guess it's time for us all to eat better!

Oh I wish I could do that! My 13 year old daughter is in a cookie making trip for the holidays! Ugh! And I also have a 7 year old! I have cut back drastically but can't eliminate everything! I know you are right and I need to get it out ... Guess it's time for us all to eat better!

I have kids and a live-in boyfriend. All three are skinny as rails and never had a weight problem in their lives. So, they still indulge in treats daily.

My trick is to only buy them stuff that I won't be tempted to graze or binge on. For instance, I can live without Little Debbie brownies and oatmeal cremes. But, I cannot resist the nutty bars. So, I will buy the others but not the nutty bars. Same with chips- I can live without potato chips but I can't resist Doritos. So again, I buy them their chips but I don't buy the Doritos.

Remember, there is absolutely nothing wrong for taking a stand for yourself and telling them you're not buying....whatever...because it's too hard for you to deal with. You don't have to eliminate everything, just the select foods you know you can't resist.

You are a very wise Bandster! Thank you... For not only the suggestions but for the knowledge that I am not alone in my struggle!

My husband read an article recently about nuts and how they curb the appetite. He now has a jar of almonds at his desk and we have another on the kitchen counter. There is stuff in our house right now that I can't wait to get rid of -- some sugary popcorn crack cocaine that arrived by mail as a gift (thanks a lot!), etc. I am letting myself have four almonds if I'm in a place where the mental hunger is getting to me. I chew them and chew them and think about how good they are for my body, the Protein, etc. Totally know what you mean about grazing then not being hungry for when it's time for the real thing, etc. You are definitely not alone! I'm with Missy on the Snacks for the family being ones I don't crave myself. Corn chips, NO! Potato chips, fine. They can have 'em. If there were brownies around I doubt I could keep away from them.

Congratulations on the 35 pounds -- you are doing beautifully!

Thank you.. I had to work and eat right for those pounds and just feel like it isn't enough! But I am feeling more optimistic now! I will try the nut idea.. I had almonds the other day at work and lasted hours on only a handful! I think the best thing is the knowledge I am not alone... And the sugary cocaine made me laugh out loud! I needed that!

I can relate...I have a 3 1/2 and 7 yr old, and a supportive hubby who can snack and snack and snack and never really gain weight. I agree with Missy, try to eliminate things you really like.

And Bandista I get the 100 cal pack of almonds and its great...eating one at a time and really enjoying the flavor...it takes me 20 mins to eat that snack and tides me over!

good luck to you...you can do it!

Head hunger is very real..... but then so is the Band!

Early on I was very weak when it came to eating/snacking due to head hunger....but after a few fills, my band began to take over.....

I would still grab and snack on foods, but because of the band I would take one bite and then have to throw it away.....and wonder why I did it in the first place...

I can't remember how many donuts I did that with.....eventually the habit goes away.....call it behavior modification due to the band.....

How many times does one have to stick their hand in the fire before they learn they will get burnt every time they do it....sooner or later.....

hi all, I'm an oldie, haven't been here for a long time, but now i'm back for support. I'm out now 5 years and have the sleeve. I'm now gaining weight back pretty quickly, in the past year or so I'd say i've gained back about 25 - 30 lbs. Sad isn't it? And it's that darn head hunger, sliders, stress, and boredom. So I started back to basics. I must remember that i didn't spend 15,000.00 to regain all this darn weight. I started the 5 day pouch test yesterday and it's really tough, nearly past out yesterday, but am hanging in there. I tell myself it's only til wednesday and then it's Protein first, then veggies and if there is room, then some starch. . good starch. (LOL) Please all, just remember this is not easy, you will gain weight very easily if you don't watch out. . .it's hard and we will struggle for all our lives. . . i used to preach how the sleeve is a tool to help us lose the weight. Now it's time for me to practice what i preached. . . ugh. . . well good luck all and i'll be here for your support. Even us old ones need help!

during pre op liquid, i found what head hunger was/is

i found i as hungry when i was bored, or around other people snacking or watching tv etc...

so now i drink all the time (and usually that solves it) but i do eat when i am truly hungry...

fruits, Protein (bars or a shake)...cheese cubes, sf pudding.....many options

i found there is more to life then eating...i now eat to live

not live to eat..