Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of losing hair............

So I am scared to loose to much hair. Does anyone have any recommendation to help minimize the amount I loose? I HONESTLY am having a hard time eating, not because of pain or discomfort. I really have no urge to eat. The only think I really want is my bedtime frozen greek yogurt. Otherwise I have a really hard time eating all the food I am allowed or suppose to eat daily. I do take my Vitamins though and make an honest effort to force the Protein day.

Im 10 days out and I'm scared too. I can't take the Vitamins. They make me nauseous. My sister had the sleeve in June said zinc helped reverse Hair loss for her. Good luck!

So am I to understand that you loose your hair? I already suffer from hairloss. I am trying to decide whether to do the surgery or not?

Yes you will lose hair around month 4 post op. It stops about month 7 post op. I have a ton of baby hairs now which means my hair is growing back! Take Biotin. I also use Aveda Invati hair system. It helps.

I am 2 1/2 months out. I have started losing small amounts. I have taken 10,000 mg of Biotin since a month before my surgery. Losing my hair was my biggest fear with this surgery. I am hoping that it doesn't get worse.

The doctor that I am thinking of going to said you dont lose your hair with the sleeve only gastric bypass is this true?

I am also worried about my teeth and gums and my heart?

The doctor that I am thinking of going to said you dont lose your hair with the sleeve only gastric bypass is this true? I am also worried about my teeth and gums and my heart?

I had the gastric sleeve in April and I did lose some hair. It has stopped and growing back. Luckily I had a lot of hair to start with. Now I just have annoying baby hairs. My teeth and gums had no change. My heart is in better health since I am down 70 lbs and now not in danger due to obesity. Losing some of my hair was a small price to pay for a healthier me. Also, you don't lose hair to the point where it's noticeable. My hair just thinned but I wasn't bald. ;)

I was sleeved on June 6th. I've taken Biotin every day since about a week before surgery, and I've always eaten all of my Protein. I have not had any Hair loss at all. Fingers crossed that it stays this way, but from everything I've read, I'm out of the "danger zone" now.

This is huge fear of mine, loosing hair. I had my surgery last week and so far I'm fine. But I know that if (when) it happens it will happen in a few months. I started taking Biotin about a month a go and will try to keep up with the Protein. I understand that it does grow back. God, I hope so.

The doctor that I am thinking of going to said you dont lose your hair with the sleeve only gastric bypass is this true?

I am also worried about my teeth and gums and my heart?

Not true. I lost plenty of hair. My teeth and gums and heart are all good.

I'm three months out and have lost quite a bit. It's worth it to me though. I've lost 90 pounds since may, so what's a little hair in the grand scheme of things? :)

Lost a ton of hair and the texture is different. Prepare for it, but it's a trade off for your new body. I have lost 125 lbs.

I had the sleeve at the end of May, started having "hand full" of hair falling out at about 4 months post sleeve. Now my hair is very thin (but still covers my scalp) and there is all kinds of short new Hair growth so I am hopeful the loss is done and the new growth will replace what I lost. I was glad to read that 7 months seems to be the end point to the hair loss!

As for vitamins…. I take so many supplements now I don't think I could have tolerated another pill. I just hope all the ones I take now will take care of things. (the 3 month labs were terrible and I had to double most of my Vitamins plus add prescription strength potassium, zinc, mag and Vit A&D. I just had my 6 month labs and all Vitamin levels were actually within the normal range so I will continue to choke down the hand full of pills each meal time)

Take Fish Oil. The post op diet doesn't contain enough fat which is one thing that can cause hair loss. I take Krill Oil 2x a day because the pills are small. You can also take Coromega, which is an orange-flavored gel in indiv packets. Avail at GNC. Also take Biotin, zinc and a good multi. But getting your 60-80 grams of Protein will help as much as anything.

I also use Revita Shampoo and conditioner. It helps prevent shedding and helps with regrowth. And, I try not to wash my hair everyday to keep it from drying out even more.

I should have mentioned I have male pattern hair loss, all the women in my family have it. My Mother was almost bald by 50.

I am not sure my hair would come back if I lost it. I am taking supplements right now which are really helping. I have new hair coming in even if it is terribly kinky.

I think being a bald women is worse than being a fat woman. The very worst is being bald and fat though lol!