Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One more month before my 6 month weight management is up

Hi everyone I thought i would be having surgery at the end of Jan 2014, found out I can not have surgery until March 2014, I was a little bit bum out since all of my appointments have been at the begining of each month. But now I official have a surgeon consultation the first week of March. Did anyone have to wait almost 8 months from start to finish before having surgery?

Edited by Cupcake

Wow thanks Bobby.

Hang in there. The time will fly and the big day will be here before you know it!

I started in Jan and had my surgery in Oct.. I was done with everything by april however, due to work scheduling I had to wait until Oct for surgery. The wait was killer. but i prepared.. I started changing my lifestyle duing that wait. no drinking while eating was the hardest. Starting your Vitamins on a schedule now helps keep that going after. practice chewing alot and taking smaller bites.

Good luck!

The 24th will be 12 months for me and by the time I have surgery it will be about 15 months and that is doing everything in my program as soon as the classes were available and scheduling the next step as soon as I was walking out of a completed one, I have kaiser though in the Pacific Northwest.

I went to my PCP on October 1 for the referral and had my firt vist witht he surgeon on the 5th of November. On the 19th of Novemeber I went back to my PCP for the referrals to the phsychologist, pulmonologist, gastroenterologist, cardiologist, lab work, ultrasound, and xrays. I contacted the surgeons office to make sure they have received the records completed so far and was told yesterday that my insurance requires 3 months consecutive monthly MD Supervised Diet. WHAT!!! Fortunately they sent a form and I can use my October and November appointments and just have to get a December appointment and it should be fine. I've emailed my doctor's office to try to get in and get the form completed for my previous appointments. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hoping to have surgery by the end of January or early February, which would be about 4-5 months from begiining to end. I will never complain about waiting since many have waitied so much longer.

Good luck to everyone!!

Thank you everyone I see you have to constantly ensure everyone is filling your paperwork out and submitting it on time, I will no longer take anyone's word , I want a copy of everything that was sent and confirmation . I did not also that waiting list for surgery can be this long as well. Thank God for this board and nice people like you all are, I feel much better thank you again .

Good luck, hope it goes quickly and smooth for you....I started my 6 month program first of Jan and didnt have surgery until end of Oct...its been a long year but so glad to be on the other side now...you will get there

My journey has been a nightmare but I'm trying to stay positive. I started in April. I had all of the testing required, blood work, x-ray, endoscopic testing, psych eval, ect. I did all of my weight visits as well. My surgery was scheduled for November. Unfortunately, my insurance prevented coverage so they rescheduled for December because I would have a new policy. Mid November I went to the surgeon and found out that the surgeons were leaving the practice/hospital. I was notified that I could go to Pittsburgh. I live in Erie so it's a drive but I didn't care. I then got a call and their was no doctor in Pitt that did sleeve which was what the doctor recommended.

So, I went to another hospital. I figured I would have a surgery date scheduled. Nope. They make sure that you have official authorization through your insurance before they will schedule you. I told the office that I needed my surgery at least in the beginning of January. I have school and my husband needs to get off of work. They said they would be diligent and speedy. I then found out that the surgeon wanted me to have a catheter down my throat before he would allow them to submit it all to insurance. I went to the testing and couldn't tolerate the test. I waiting a whole week before the insurance coordinator submitted my claim. She told me she sent it sooner but she got my name mixed up with another patient. She assured me that she submitted it last Saturday.

I called BCBS IL yesterday and they never received the documents. Turns out that she submitted it to my old insurance. I had to tell her my requirements for submission and everything. Welp, it is officially in the review and I'm on pins and needles. I genuinely believe that this has all happened for a reason and that God has a plan. It has been terrible though. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I need this surgery. We all do and it seems that people don't understand our deep sense of urgency. It will work out though!! I hope that other people have a more smooth process.

Wow I guess one things for sure preparing for this surgery sure teaches you patience and due diligence . I just know I would treat each patients paperwork like it was my own and complete it and process it in a timely matter, these delays can have a devastating effect especially when ones insurance is changing and they have been planning for this for awhile . All I was fixated on was 6 months , but I see it can take longer than that , I thank everyone who has shared my frustrations and given me support and encouragement , because only those who is going through this procedures understands our frustrations .

Hi everyone I thought i would be having surgery at the end of Jan 2014, found out I can not have surgery until March 2014, I was a little bit bum out since all of my appointments have been at the begining of each month. But now I official have a surgeon consultation the first week of March. Did anyone have to wait almost 8 months from start to finish before having surgery?

My surgery consult is 1-13 and my surgery won't be til late sept early oct. So yep... I gotta wait 9 mos!!

Wow there waiting list is that long?

No I have hoops to jump thru for my insurance. It's craziness... 6 mos of weigh ins, psych appt, nut appt, and meet a dietician. Then have all my blood work and labs done! But hey I'm all for it.

I started in May and my final appointment is on the 8th. Hoping to have surgery in February. I could have done it a little faster, but I took my time in a few things. Good luck!