Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I had the lapband put in about 6 years ago, lived with it for about 2 years. Only lost about 60 pounds on it until I got into serious anemic complications. It never felt right and I was hungry ALL THE TIME. I had the band out a couple years ago and have been steadily gaining weight since.

I am scheduled for sleeve on January 16th. I guess I'm afraid I am an anomaly and will fail AGAIN because I wasn't all that successful with the band. Although, the surgeon who took out my band was surprised at how it was placed and the way the port was stitched into my muscle (I had been in constant pain for years - and I had gone to a US bariatric center of excellence all covered through insurance and supposedly an amazing surgeon).

Now I am opting to fast-track it to self-pay with Dr. Aceves in Mexico. I need to get this weight off and I'm terrified that for some reason the sleeve won't work for me.

Anybody else have these thoughts??

I had the same fears...but that was 2 years and 160# ago. I am so glad I kept believing and got sleeved....changed my life.

I think all of us had these thoughts go through our heads. The sleeve is a powerful and drastic tool. In my mind failure is quite unlikely with the sleeve, it is more of a remote possibility. To fail at the sleeve you have to be determined to resist reasonable instructions and defeat yourself. You still need will power but you have a great tool.

I have been introduced to the air pressure power hammer. Before, with a regular hammer....pound ,pound, pound, pound, bent nail...pull it out..start again. With a power hammer....Bam...nail in. Good tools are important but a power hammer can mess you up good if you don't use it right. :D

Thanks! I'm mostly just looking for a drastic kick in the arse to get me some momentum. I am committed to the lifestyle changes but you all know what it's like when things move so slowly. With the awesome tool and my mindset (and an awesome gym and trainer) I feel like I am geared up for this in a way that means it isn't a question of if I will lose weight but HOW fast it will fall off.

Positive thinking!

My ex was really negative about WLS so I put off the sleeve even though the surgeon who removed my band said I may want to consider it. Got rid of the ex and am now making life choices for me.

I want to succeed at this so badly. Thanks for all your support!

I can't help but relate... I just had my band removed and the sleeve revision on 11/27/13. Aside from the pain from the ton of scar tissue and a band that was infecting my stomach, I am feeling pretty good today. I am scared of failing too....So far, (albeit only two weeks) I'm 30 pounds down. It took my more than 6 months to lose that with the lap band.

totally different mind set.

I am a band to sleeve revision also. Had the band out in Oct after having it for 10 years, and am scheduled for my sleeve Jan 13th. I feel the exact same way that you do. What if THIS doesn't work either? I am self pay, so have invested a lot, first in the band, and now the sleeve.

I have looked at bypass and even sleeve with Duodenal switch. This last option is the "fail" safe one, but also the highest risk and long term issues with mal-absorption.

I think I am going to be ok after sleeve. I know there are ways to "eat around it" but I am determined not to get in that rut, and am also hoping the surgery does away with the hunger issues as it's supposed to.

Good luck with your journey.

First let me say....oh thank god! I'm not the only one. I had the band placed in 2006 and was loving it....until 2 years ago. Now band has to come out and I was just approved for a VSG. I'm so flippin nervous, but not because of the surgery itself - but because of failing....Again. Knowing what it's like to have been heavy all my life to being -I never thought I'd be this skinny- skinny to heavy again (which I swore I'd never do). I'm truly terrified.

Thank you for posting this and being honest. I breathed I sigh of relief. :)

You go girl! You got this!

Ditto here!!! I am scheduled for band removal and revision to sleeve on January 13th also! I am very nervous and excited at the same time! We will have each other to get thru this!! I hope it can all be done at the same time…. however, I am aware of others on here who woke up with only the band out… hoping this is not the case!!

I'm in the same boat. I had my band out 4weeks ago after having it since 2005. I had success early and lost 80lbs, but gradually put it on after having two children.

I've been struggling since the removal, food is my enemy.

I am scheduled for my sleeve on the 16 January.

Looking forward to following you all on our journeys x

I suppose since you're in Oz you'll actually be a day ahead of us over here! No worries, we can be overseas sleeve buddies. I just moved back to the States from Oz.

Good luck!

I can't help but relate... I just had my band removed and the sleeve revision on 11/27/13. Aside from the pain from the ton of scar tissue and a band that was infecting my stomach, I am feeling pretty good today. I am scared of failing too....So far, (albeit only two weeks) I'm 30 pounds down. It took my more than 6 months to lose that with the lap band.

totally different mind set.

same here, band removed revised to a sleeve 12/10. not even a week out for me yet. after i failed to lose anything with the band (and being hungry most of the time) i felt like i was a failure. i decided to try the sleeve but also worried i'd be a failure at that. well, i have done it. i feel ok about the prospects for weight loss.

Looks like several of us are having surgery during the same week. My surgery is Jan 13.

Ok. Science has confirmed it: we didn't fail, the band fails. Check it out y'all:

KEY FINDING: LAP-BAND FAILS 44% OF THE TIME.

This study finds that the LAGB failed as a primary bariatric procedure for 44% of patients due to either inadequate weight loss or adequate weight loss with unmanageable symptoms. This suggests that the LAGB [lapband] should be abandoned as a primary bariatric procedure for the majority of morbidly obese patients due to its high failure rate.

Kindel, T., Martin, E., Hungness, E., & Nagle, A. (2013). High failure rate of the laparoscopic-adjustable gastric band as a primary bariatric procedure. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases.

KEY FINDING: SLEEVE REDUCES GHRELIN AND IS MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN GASTRIC BANDING.

As a consequence of resection of the gastric fundus, the predominant area of human ghrelin production, ghrelin is significantly reduced after LSG but not after LAGB. This reduction remains stable at a follow-up 6 months postoperatively, which may contribute to the superior weight loss when compared with LAGB.

Langer, F. B., Hoda, M. R., Bohdjalian, A., Felberbauer, F. X., Zacherl, J., Wenzl, E., ... & Prager, G. (2005). Sleeve gastrectomy and gastric banding: effects on plasma ghrelin levels. Obesity surgery, 15(7), 1024-1029.