Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If your self paying do you still have to go through the the requirements that people go through when dealing with the insurance?

No. They will run tests to make sure you are healthy for surgery though. Seems like most will do blood work, EKG and sleep study. Depending on your surgeon, they may have you go on a diet to lose a certain amount of weight or to prep for surgery. I'm self pay and my doc has me attending nutrition and exercise classes once a month until I go for surgery.

nope. You do not have to jump thru all the insurance hoops. I was self pay. When I went to my first consultation my surgeon told me I could go ahead a schedule my surgery 3 weeks later. I didn't have to see a therapist, do a 6 month diet I hear about or anything. I did have to do the 2 week liquid diet though. I also had to do some blood work and and EKG but that's it. I didn't have my surgery 3 weeks later though. I waited a few months until I was on vacation from work

I had to provide my doc with EKG and bloodwork prior to booking a date. I had to answer the psych questionnaire. I didn't have a requirement to talk to their NUT prior to surgery, although she was available to me if I needed something. I only had to do a 2 week pre-op diet.

I arrived in his office the day before surgery and attended an information session where they detailed what was going to happen on surgery day and then the NUT gave a presentation. I then met with the doc for about 20 minutes.

Four days after surgery, I went back to his office for a follow up and he released me to travel back home where I will start seeing my local doc.

I'm going to a Center of Excellence and there my surgeon requires the same hoops. 3 nut appointments, sleep study, at least one support group meeting, seminar, psych clearance, and a stress test. They just don't want any room for error. The way they see it, if you're educated by them regarding the procedure, you won't deviate from their plan and will have better success. That looks better on them and their complication rate. So I'd say each surgeon has his/her own criteria for surgery. Good luck on your journey, April.

I'm going to a Center of Excellence and there my surgeon requires the same hoops. 3 nut appointments, sleep study, at least one support group meeting, seminar, psych clearance, and a stress test. They just don't want any room for error. The way they see it, if you're educated by them regarding the procedure, you won't deviate from their plan and will have better success. That looks better on them and their complication rate. So I'd say each surgeon has his/her own criteria for surgery. Good luck on your journey, April.

I went to Bariatric Center at St. Vincent Charity in Ohio and I had to go through the same.exact.hoops. I was thankful for all of it. It really helped me open my eyes as to what I was getting involved with.

I had to go through the same hoops and I was self pay. It does add to the cost but no diet except a modified South Beach diet to shrink my liver for two weeks in advance Well worth it. I also feel self pay people will appreciate and stick to their new eating habits better. I paid too much to fail!

I went to Bariatric Center at St. Vincent Charity in Ohio and I had to go through the same.exact.hoops. I was thankful for all of it. It really helped me open my eyes as to what I was getting involved with.

Me too!!! My sister had no hoops and knows so little about everything. I have tried to tell her the importance of Protein first, following her surgeons food progression from liquids, etc. it sucks Bc I can't be policing her. I'm actually thankful for all I've learned so far.

Me too!!! My sister had no hoops and knows so little about everything. I have tried to tell her the importance of Protein first, following her surgeons food progression from liquids, etc. it sucks Bc I can't be policing her. I'm actually thankful for all I've learned so far.

You should give her a copy of your Pre surgery book they gave us. I imagine it would be hard not to police my sister though if she had it done somewhere that didn't educate them enough.

You should give her a copy of your Pre surgery book they gave us. I imagine it would be hard not to police my sister though if she had it done somewhere that didn't educate them enough.

Lol I meant "me too" I'm thankful. I'm not going to the same surgery center, but that's a freaking great idea! I also have a lot of nut info that I could copy. Awesome :)

I'll expand on my response above...

I started out my journey hoping that insurance would pay, so I went thru the hoops with a local doctor - doctor evaluation, NUT and social worker meetings and lab work.

I am glad I did - I'm a datahead, so the more information I have, the better.

My surgeon also has a series of about 8 hours of pre-op videos on the psychological impact of this surgery - they are awesome. It really helped prepare.

I am self-pay and I am also hoop jumping, however, less time between the hoops.

Psych

Nut

Support group

Tests upon tests

All the same.

I'd rather have saved $11,000 by going to Mexico and could have lived with a little less of the full Monty insurance bariatric path. The big book and this forum if one spends the time I believe would have been sufficient. But, due to family wishes I am doing the VSG locally and for $18,750 - yea the amount bugs me knowing the quality and less expense I could have had in Mexico.....ok I'll shut up.

:-)