Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Annoying Birthday Cake

Today is my 55th Birthday. I asked them at work to not get me a cake but they did anyway. I was told because other people want cake. Not told that by my boss, she didn't reply to me when I said I didn't want one. I think it is kind of disrespectful to get a cake when I don't want to have to see one and be stuck in a room with one for 10 hours. The hotel supplies the cake so they just as easily could have asked for something I like- like brownies or even Cookies. What I really would like is chicken fingers.

Oh well, am I being petty or unreasonable to be miffed? For the last 12 years I have been on vacation for my Birthday and did not get a cake before or after (as they do for other people) because I asked not to.
BTW I haven't said anything to anyone at work about the cake. I didn't even acknowledge that it is sitting there- 10 feet away with my name on it. I guess that's kind of b****y of me.

I think it was kind of rude of them to get you a cake after you asked them not to, but I would just let it go. Go get yourself some chicken fingers and enjoy :) Happy birthday!

Thanks time4me, I'm on vacation next week and I swear I'm getting chicken fingers one day.

I hate to be the evil one here, but this is just one of the aspects of life that we all have to deal with now. We need to find ways of handling these situations because trust me, the rest of the world is not going to change just because I did. While I would love to believe it is all about me, the truth is, it isn't. One thing I learned from having kids is birthdays are not about me. My wife and I Celebrate our birthdays because our children enjoy the festivities. Every kid loves going to a birthday party. Just because those around us have aged 30 years doesn't change this.

Now, when I am surrounded by food, whether it be at work or wherever, I feel empowered because I have the tools to be stronger than I was before. Before, I couldn't say no and I would overdo it. Now, I can pass or have just a small bite. When I see others enjoying to excess, I smile because I don't have to do that anymore.

This is but a small hurdle I had to learn how to jump over in my journey to improving my relationship with food. Find the power your sleeve has given you and stand before that cake and laugh!

BTW, Happy Birthday!

** Edit **

Sorry ... didn't see it was powder Room.

I just mostly like the topic of this thread. Stupid annoying birthday cake! Don't hate the cake! The cake has done nothing but be delicious. Just kidding!

Pdx man said it best. Expecting others to change their behavior because we have sets us up for disappointment. Expectations lead directly to resentment. Resentment leads to a bunch of other icky things that are better avoided.

I have a feeling you're just venting. It's your party, you can cry if you....well, you know.

Happy birthday!

Sorry I haven't been on for awhile. Thank you for your comments and no I did not see it as "evil" :)

I have to ignore huge bowls of candy daily and other treats, I just tell myself "that isn't food." It just irked me to be presented with a big cake "for YOU" when it is NOT for me if I don't want it to be there.

Usually I don't even take notice of these things, I was not in a great mood! LOL

Thanks for the well wishes!