Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obsessing with the scale!

I am 2 weeks post-op today & am 15lbs down! I have averaged a pound a day, but have been the same for 2 days now! My head is telling me I shouldn't be slowing down already this early.. And now I'm used to seeing 1 pound less every morning so this is Bumming! Anybody else start slowing down this early?! Am I crazy & just obsessing with the scale? !

HW-269 SW-263 CW-248 Surgery 9/30/13

Get off of your scale!!! It will only depress you when you hit a stall. And trust me, we all hit stalls early on because our bodies are getting adjusted to our new way of eating.

I am 2 weeks post-op today & am 15lbs down! I have averaged a pound a day' date=' but have been the same for 2 days now! My head is telling me I shouldn't be slowing down already this early.. And now I'm used to seeing 1 pound less every morning so this is Bumming! Anybody else start slowing down this early?! Am I crazy & just obsessing with the scale?! HW-269 SW-263 CW-248 Surgery 9/30/13[/quote'].

I reached a stall at 2 weeks post op also except mine lasted two weeks an I gained two lbs .. Stop weighing yourself everyday an try maybe once a week ! I weigh myself every Friday ..your body is basically in shock due to the fact that your losing so fast so it needs time to get back together ..your going to go thru stalls a lot more times ! Don't kill yourself over this, soon you'll start losing again an you'll feel great ! STAY OFF THE SCALE!

You will stall more times than you can count. It's a marathon, not a sprint. You didn't gain the weight overnight, and it won't come off instant either.

I am 2 weeks post-op today & am 15lbs down! I have averaged a pound a day, but have been the same for 2 days now! My head is telling me I shouldn't be slowing down already this early.. And now I'm used to seeing 1 pound less every morning so this is Bumming! Anybody else start slowing down this early?! Am I crazy & just obsessing with the scale?!

HW-269 SW-263 CW-248 Surgery 9/30/13

Crazy? No. Obsessing? Perhaps a little. Your journey can be an emotional roller coaster ride. Full of self-doubt, frustration, second guessing, fear, even depression. But it does not have to be that way.

There is no schedule for stalls. No "too early" or "too late" or "too many" or "too few" or "too long" or "too short" or, or, or... You've probably heard it already and you'll hear it again - everyone is different. There are simply too many variables.

So you need a plan. I'm sure others will weigh in with what has worked for them. Here's what worked, and continues to work, for me:

* Stay positive.

* Stay patient.

* Stay focused on following the protocol as closely to the letter as you possibly can.

* Maintain a food log.

There will be lots of variables. Sometimes you're going to lose weight quickly. Sometimes slowly. And sometimes not at all. But no matter what your weight is doing, your plan is ALWAYS the same. When you lose fast - follow your plan. When you lose slow - follow your plan. When you're not losing at all - follow your plan.

Trust the process. With more than 30 years of research and clinical studies behind it, there is no doubt that RNY works. Follow your plan and the weight will take care of itself.

Regardless of what you do, your body is going to find its own way in its own time. So you have a choice. Panic, stress, frustration and worry every time something changes. Or focus, commitment, confidence and absolute belief that your plan will take you where you want to go. Your goal is physical change. Your challenge is mental discipline.

Follow your plan and you're gonna love the new you!!

Crazy? No. Obsessing? Perhaps a little. Your journey can be an emotional roller coaster ride. Full of self-doubt' date=' frustration, second guessing, fear, even depression. But it does not have to be that way.

There is no schedule for stalls. No "too early" or "too late" or "too many" or "too few" or "too long" or "too short" or, or, or... You've probably heard it already and you'll hear it again - everyone is different. There are simply too many variables.

So you need a plan. I'm sure others will weigh in with what has worked for them. Here's what worked, and continues to work, for me:

* Stay positive.

* Stay patient.

* Stay focused on following the protocol as closely to the letter as you possibly can.

* Maintain a food log.

There will be lots of variables. Sometimes you're going to lose weight quickly. Sometimes slowly. And sometimes not at all. But no matter what your weight is doing, your plan is ALWAYS the same. When you lose fast - follow your plan. When you lose slow - follow your plan. When you're not losing at all - follow your plan.

Trust the process. With more than 30 years of research and clinical studies behind it, there is no doubt that RNY works. Follow your plan and the weight will take care of itself.

Regardless of what you do, your body is going to find its own way in its own time. So you have a choice. Panic, stress, frustration and worry every time something changes. Or focus, commitment, confidence and absolute belief that your plan will take you where you want to go. Your goal is physical change. Your challenge is mental discipline.

Follow your plan and you're gonna love the new you!![/quote']

What wonderful, sensible advice. I will do my best to remember this after my surgery in November.

Research tells me that since I'm a revision from band to bypass, and have less weight to lose, that I will lose it more slowly. Research also tells me that I will stall through out. Now with that being said, to me the scales are good, I weigh every morning and they tell me what I might have to do different, little more excerise, increase calories, etc. Those scales to me are just like the bypass, a tool. It never means I'm doing something wrong, just that I need to change something. And DL is correct you need a food log, if you are logging too few calories and not losing, then your metabolism is in stravation mode, boost it up a little, increase the excerise, increase your calories. But just remember the scales are no different than the bypass, it is only a tool.

This is easy for me to say looking back at this now almost three months removed from my surgery but this is a marathon. I try not to weigh myself but once a week. There are times I cheat and will do a midweek check but for the most part I try to stay away. Even at my stage the body is still adjusting and it is about more than pounds this early. Stick to your surgeons game plan and start working on the good habits that will make this a long term success for you.

Wow!! You guys are AWESOME!! So glad I posted this & got your responses!! I feel much better & will definitely ease away from the scale!! Patience, determination, & following the plan!

IM ON IT!! :)) Thank you all again very much!

I would like to add my two cents.

At the end of the day the number that comes up on the scale is just that a number. Try to find other ways if measuring your success. I measured mine by how much of my feet I could see in the shower. When I started I could not see my feet. Today I see my ankles. Also find other goals. Write down a list of them and when you reach one cross it off and think of a new one. All dreams can come true, but you have to be patient and remember your body has a different schedule then your brain.

"Your body has a different schedule than your brain." Very well put Music - as always!

Im almost two months out and I feel like ive been in a stall for longer than ive lost weight, I was 218 when I came home from surgery and im 192 now, I was worried with how slow ive b3en loosing but my dr is very proud of ny progress, plus when you have a lower startvweight you tent to lose slower, my goal is 135-140 , 50 more pounds but im up for the challenge, you just gotta stick through the stalls and carry on :)

Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking, even years ago with Weight Watchers I had a positive attitude even if I gained a pound or two. I would think okay, so I gained weight, now I know I definitely have to correct my mistakes. That is why I will not look at scales as being an obession. I use it as a tool, to see what I need to change. Does it bother me that I haven't lost in two weeks, yes, but I know it is to be expected and my food log tells me how many calories I am cosuming, so I know what is going on with my body. Nor do I measure myself, because my clothes tell me when I have lost 5 pounds, I go down another size. But this is me. I'm just a piece of work in process, and I will succeed, by always staying and having a positive attitude about this whole process.

Everyone is so so different. Based on the above information I shouldn't have lost as much as I have. I don't know if it's because I'm diabetic, which was the reason for my surgery, or something else. I'm bad too, I'm on the scale everyday. It's so hard not to.

Sorry but the scale will stop at times for days, sometimes weeks. Just follow protocol and try not to let it screw with your mind.

HW 358 SW 344 CW 246 RNY 4/11/2013