Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone on here busted their sleeve open?

If so what are your symptoms?

Does everyone follow your 21 day post op diet or do some of y'all cheat?

I've had really bad cravings but haven't given in yet..

I stuck with my surgeon's plan to a T. Too much at risk and took a lot of work to get this far. It is only a short amount of time. Do not give in! You are strong!

A percentage of folks on VST have had leaks, and they can be caused for various reasons. In theory a leak could be caused from not strictly following the diet progression recommended by your surgeon, although it can happen for other reasons too.

I was not ever tempted to "cheat" after surgery, because I didn't think of it as just any old diet. I thought of it as recovering from surgery that removed 85% of my stomach, and the thought of stressing the vertical cut line several inches long on a major organ of mine...well let's just say I wasn't going to push my luck on that!

I was told by my surgeon that if your going to get a leak it'll happen early on. I'm almost 4 weeks out and was concerned but she said at this point your good unless you try eat like a whole sub! Pretty much unlikely but I did follow the rules I was and AM just to scared.

I am only one week out, just finishing my full liquid phase and on to puréed tomorrow. I have had fleeting thoughts if "regular" food, but there is no way I would try it. I think about how hard it is to get in broth or Greek yogurt I couldn't even imagine how it would feel to eat something solid. I am sure things will be harder and taking more discipline once I can tolerate more, but like a previous poster said, I have worked way to hard for this to cause myself undue harm. Just the thought of the sleeve bursting is enough to keep me on track.

Busted sleeve sounds almost cute...

A leak is not cute..

Really not to sound harsh but you really want to stay on plan at this point. It's about safety but later on its about really changing your habits to try and be AND stay successful at the weight loss..

be careful in the early days and make smart safe choices...

I was EXTREMELY careful to follow my post-op instructions precisely and I did not cheat once on my post-op diet. I was so scared of complications and I had no sick time left after surgery so I could not afford to be sick. It was really hard at times to not cheat on the post-op, especially on the liquid phase, but I made it through with no complications and now I can eat whatever I want. Just keep reminding yourself that the post-op diet is only temporary- you will get through it and then you will forget all about it, just like being in labor. Hang in there!

Thank y'all! I made potato Soup but over cooked everything to be sure it was still soft.. Just tired of broth!! I am 14 days post op and am down 30.8 lbs!

Congratulations on your loss so far. I know it's hard to stick with the plan, but just keep hanging in there and you'll be on soft foods before too long. Once you are there a whole world of flavors and textures opens up to you.

Congratulations on your loss so far. I know it's hard to stick with the plan' date=' but just keep hanging in there and you'll be on soft foods before too long. Once you are there a whole world of flavors and textures opens up to you.[/quote']

Thanks so much!!

That is a huge gamble you don't want to take for several reasons... As stated in this thread before - this a major surgery and we all worked so hard to have it, when others tried and weren't able to for one reason or another. Please stick to your diet.

I had a leak 2 weeks after surgery. I believe mine was from taking care of my 6 yr old special needs son, I knew as soon as i lifted him I did something I shouldn't have. From that point on I had pain that just kept getting worse. Fever came back. Went into the ER later that day with the most excruciating pain. Ended up in the hospital for almost a month.

Txblue, how awful! I hope things got smoother after that.

Yes doing better everyday. I'm on a full diet as tolerated, that has help me alot. Going 21 days with no food or drink (on TPN). Had me feeling really weak.

Thank you kay__s