Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did not need WLS...

that is what someone close to me said to me last night

at least i didnt have weight loss surgery...

talk about surprising me and catching me off guard...

it was spoke during a reg type conversation over (halloween candy). i said i was going to buy 1 recess Peanut Butter cup to treat myself...(i am not a sweet person so one is enough) and that comment was made....they can eat whatever they want and they didnt need weight loss surgery..

i mean it hurt...sure it did

it hurts now writing this

i am a very easy going person..i have a thin skin and my feelings can and do get hurt easily..i am just kind hearted...what i have been told all my life...so i am guessing it is true

but at least they didnt have WLS surgery and i did..i mean how does one deal with that??

does this make me bad? make me weak?

make me lower then bath scum on inside of tub?

does this make me unworthy? unwanted? or a freak side show?

i would have thought my tats/piercings/hanging with angels would put me in the freak show category..

does having wls make me an outcast? maybe to some in this world..but whatever it is...whatever it appears to be, i know that me having wls saved my life and gave me back a little (life) that i was slipping away from more and more each and every day.

so here it is

i allowed myself to get super morbid

i overate way too much

i drank way too much

and i sat on my fat ass way too often

yep..that was me.

i did it to myself

i acknowledge it

i accept it

i also accept that i sought help as i needed it

and if that makes me (a less) person, then so be it

so this did catch me off guard

but this person also knew how to make a direct hit

say something about the (outside)

and it hit its target

nope i did not go out and feed my face because my feelings were hurt...i just merely let it go in one ear and out the other...i took a hot bath...read a few chapters in a great book and just breathed..

i can’t change what someone thinks of me

or of the wls surgery i had...people have their own thoughts...their own opinions...

maybe i am not as strong as some and weaker than others...but i am an easy target...us fat people often are..we know we are fat and know the world sees our problem..and i handled it the best way i knew how....

so to that wonderful nice person who told me that they didnt need to have wls

all i can say is good for you.....and that i am glad i did

Wow I'm glad you didn't get upset after that situation but I know I would have! I would have said a few choice words and then emotionally drank a chocolate flavored Protein Shake just because I was upset! .:high five:. For being the "bigger" person!!:)

Hi CG,

I don't know who the person is that said that, but I'm sure she suffers from low self esteem. People that make crass comments to harm others usually do. They only feel better when they can make someone feel worse.

You are one of the best type of people not any kind of tub scum, because you are able to look in the mirror and say I need to make a change for myself and actually get up and do it!

Most people only lie to themselves and others so that they can "look" good. You my friend actually do look good! Why because you have worked dam hard to do so!

So this person can have their pound of flesh, hey it's one more off my ass is the way I look at it :)

Sometimes you gotta just shake your head and wonder what the hell!?! People can be so cruel, whether it's intentional or not. I've heard a few murmurs similar to what was said to you, but thankfully most people who address it directly respect the fact that I did something about my obesity. I've made a conscious decision that as I drop pounds, I'll also drop any cares about what ignorant people say/think/do. I'm too busy doing something great for myself to waste time on anything else.

people that "don't need a WLS" don't understand the addiction to food. we need food to live, we HAVE to grocery shop and cook for our family therefore a "trigger" is always upon us - A good smell. A beautifully presented meal. But you can stay out of the drug corners or ABC liquors and go to your meetings right? Boy you hit a bad spot for me. I've battled obesity ALL MY LIFE - since age 4. At age 8 I dreaded the bus drills because we had to jump out of the back of bus. I started dieting at age 16 when I was over 200lb. I dieted, did the magic pills, Atkins, South Beach, shakes - WW again, Jenny, Nutra, WW again. Then I had the band. NOW IT'S broke...and I'm gaining weight every day. The next time someone so cruel and insensitive says something like that to you don't take it to heart. What you and many of us did was a procedure that could save our lives. Tell that heartless person they are clueless in many degrees.

Well...aren't they just the lucky duck. That was my response to a similar comment about WLS.

I can't help but be snarky with rude comments like that.

This person should be applauding your every effort to get healthy. I know I am.

I had a similar experience. A friend lost about 160 pounds over a couple years by dieting and working out 4 hours a day. I was pretty much blasted for having WLS every chance she got. I told her that the problem wasn't losing- I could do that. The problem was keeping it off and why I needed the band. She scoffed at me.

...fast forward 6 months to now. She's regained about 45-50 pounds. She gets extremely defensive about it, too.

My only response has been "sorry you're struggling, but it's like I said, losing isn't hard but keeping it off is".

Karma is a much bigger b*tch than I could ever be. Nuff said.

People just don't know how to watch what comes out their mouths. i have a close friend that has made similar comments and jabs. i'm working on not paying any attention because at the end of the day i'm the one that counts and my health is what is important. so keeping doing what your doing.. and you are by far the stronger person. to be able to know what you need and not be afraid to go and get it..

That's just a crappy thing for them to say....I'm so proud of you GC for all you've accomplished and for not slapping them...

Carolinagirl you deserve and work hard for this. Don't feel bad people are going to have their negative comments. I over heard my sister telling my mom how I'm going to look like a crack head when I lose weight. They don't understand I control this but keep your head up your beautiful and well let me say this people closer to us may hurt us more but it's drill something we decided and nothing can take it away

My only response has been "sorry you're struggling, but it's like I said, losing isn't hard but keeping it off is".

Yep, the high road is the best road to take. No need to reduce yourself to her level.

And I agree - karma is a b***h! But ya gotta love it :P

One of my Wife's friends told her she thinks WLS is a form of cheating. That's right cheating. Exercise and dieting and watching what you eat is the only way it should be done.

She posted a bit about it here:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/176454-disappointed-in-my-friends-reactions/#entry2052871

Pure ignorance.......that's all it is. You are so much better than that. I hope this utterance didn't come from the mouth of someone significant in your life.

One of my Wife's friends told her she thinks WLS is a form of cheating. That's right cheating. Exercise and dieting and watching what you eat is the only way it should be done.

She posted a bit about it here:

http://www.lapbandta...s/#entry2052871

And that is exactly what we're all doing!! These people have no clue.....

"The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best."

All others can step the F$%# off!!