Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help- Info On Post Op Diet Needed

Seems like different dr's say different things. I was Clear Liquids for 2 weeks, then milk based liquids for (I think) 1 week, then semi soft for a week, and at a month I was on regular food. I am hoping I am remember that right :-). My surgery was Oct 4th, so my brain is a little fuzzy. I have heard that some people have only been on clear liquids for 1 week.

My Dr is Dr.Chock at Northwest Weight Loss Surgery in Everett, WA. I have had a great experience with her. My friend went to her at my referral and she also loves her. What state do you live in?

I was dr Ortiz and for the healing process it was approx 4-6 days purely clear liquids broth etc then Heavier Soups and some non lactose keffir yogurts for another say 7-14days then soft foods creams ie tuna crackers mashed veggies then at about 21-28 days you can start solids. I had surgery 2/15 and I didnt start ie soft foods till about march 21 but I followed it to the T. Also not sure what your "plans" are but I vacationed shortly after and you just adjust.. Especially since you get full so easy

I am post surgery day 5 and all I've had is Water, diluted apple juice, 3 tsp of chicken broth and snow cone ice. I am pushing it if I have 9 ounces of Water a day - I feel like my stomach is going to explode. I'm down 8 pounds but I always have a screaming headache and feel exhausted. Will this get better?

What about taking medications? I take two medications that I really do need (HRT and Anti depressant) - can I take these whole?

Hi casey, I m 6 days post-op, I am able to gulp down whole capsules but be gentle while taking Water, sip gradually and the caps will go down easily. Try this, if it doesn't work crush them. Try mix veg Soup or broth it's got lots of Vitamins and minerals. Your headaches could be due to gas, rub a little aesafoetida mixed in water over your abdomen(careful with the incisions) and esp around the naval. Relax and try meditations and pray to God. Things will definatly be fine.

KC - We all had that "will it get better" feeling. The answer is YES!!! It gets much better! At day 5 (& 8) your stomach is still trying to expand back to it's normal size. That's why you get stomach spasms. Headaches could also be from lack of calories & Water. My dr showed me how fast liquids go through your stomach and it's within minutes, so you should be able to sip water continuously throughout the day. Everything is going to feel weird right now and that's normal. Just know that you're in survival/ recovery mode right now and once you get onto solid food, you will feel much better!

I am 5 days post op. Day one Water only day 2 and 3 clear liquids. Now through week 2 "mush" diet. Ex. I had a puréed egg with cheese and hot sauce for Breakfast. lunch I had 2 ounces of puréed turkey breast and mushroom Soup made with double Protein milk. I am on my 3rd Protein shake and have had 32 oz of Water. For dinner I will have cream of aspagus soup that I made. I am handling food and drinking really well. I also have been walking a lot. Good luck! I had my surgery at northwestern in Chicago

Sent from my iPhone using SPT

Hi ski21, looks like your recovery is real good! My doc asked me to stay on liquid diet for 2 weeks, but even I felt well and started puréed food from 2nd wk onwards and had no problems. I feel now that I can start with solids as well but am feeling a bit apprehensive. When has your doctor said u to do so, or would u be discreet and decide for yourself? Tell us about your story, your age, BMI, starting weight, weight loss prior to surgery etc.

I am 17 days out of surgery and I have not found anything I cannot tolerate. I am only doing soft foods right now. tuna, Tilapia, Soft Cooked veggies, Instant Mashed Taters, Grits, Cottage cheese, Boiled eggs, pudding, yogurt, watermelon, beans.... nothing has been much of a problem but I have found that I do get hungry more often now. I was hoping my hunger would not be as bad as it was before surgery but I am afraid it might be about the same. I am still having trouble knowing when I am really full too. I have not lost any weight in a week but I have been told to expect that. I am trying to keep my calories at 800 a day. My goal is 2 pounds per week. Oh and drinking Water and zero calorie poweraid or crystal light has been no problem at all either.

Seems like different dr's say different things. I was Clear liquids for 2 weeks' date=' then milk based liquids for (I think) 1 week, then semi soft for a week, and at a month I was on regular food. I am hoping I am remember that right :-). My surgery was Oct 4th, so my brain is a little fuzzy. I have heard that some people have only been on clear liquids for 1 week.[/quote']

My doctor says the same as your! I am newly To I-Band and still on liquids :(

Can anyone tell me if they have ever experienced food tasting different, like badly after their surgery? My daughter, is 1 month post op surgery, and actually ate something, and said it was awful, that it tasted like vodka!!! Has anyone else experienced this after Plication surgery? Foods tasting badly? Also, what kind of foods have others eaten 4 weeks out? When are you able to start salads?