Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op and am feeling quite tired and depressed. My surgeon said it's normal to feel tired for the first month, so I'm more concerned about the depression. I've suffered from depression for several years, but thought I finally had it under control pre-op. Now, the reality is hitting home that food has been my only constant companion, and now it's no longer there. Any thoughts or ideas on how to push through this?

It's good the go see someone also try taking up a new hobby and just talk it out if not with friends on here you have a lot of friends you will get Thursday all of this its for better health

Paul: I don't know if this will be any help, but believe me that there are lots of us in the same boat. food has been such a constant companion and friend for a lot of us for a long time. But I choose to think about it in a more positive way. It's not that I can't have food any more, but rather it is that I need to rethink what I am using food for. Food was created to be nourishment -- not as a stress reliever, friend, etc. Like most, you probably underwent bypass surgery for health reasons. Just think of it this way, your newfound way of eating will significantly improve your overall health and you will be happy when that happens.

I think it's the initial shock that puts you in a funky mood. I know because I also suffer from depression. I had my surgery on November 23 and as of the last weigh in I have lost 52 pounds and believe me, I could not be happier about that. It already is making a difference in my whole life. I have more energy and my knees feel better. I am off my diabetes and blood pressure medications and have been able to cut my high cholesterol medication in half. These are the things I think about.

I think we all need to learn to feel "full" from other things -- not food.

I'm not sure if I have helped at all, but I sincerely wish you the best and hope that the depressed feeling is replaced by something more positive quickly. I think it will be.

I hope this isn't trite, but you'll need to find another constant companion. Time for a dog? A partner? A mission or Quest? This change you've made [RNY] is the impetus to further [perhaps even more meaningful] changes. Make a plan. I wish you the very best of luck and happiness in all that you pursue.

I know how you feel. For a few weeks I was very depressed...crying for no reason and suicidal thoughts. I find that walking with my iPod and my dog helped a lot as well as reaching out to close friends.

SD:1/28/13 HW:358 SW:338 CW:297

Thank you all so much for your comments. I have been seeing a therapist for my depression for almost a year now. This is an issue I'm still trying to work out - what replaces food? I'm glad to know there are people who have gone through this same issue.

Hi Paul,

Im sorry to hear you are suffering from depression. Im not sure I can really relate as you say you have had depression in the past, but right after surgery I felt very tired and I knew something was wrong. I would call my doctor everyday and tell him I wasn't feeling well. He said it was all part of the process. I felt tired all the time and couldn't keep anything down. I was invted to several partys and just didn't attend as I knew everyone would be eating and having fun. Yes I concidering eating fun. Well 3 weeks post op I landed in the ER I had internal Bleeding and was dieing. I had ulcers. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks after that. My suggestion to you is to always listen to your body. If you know and feel something is wrong talk to you doctor don't be afraid or ashamed in any way. As far as what replaces food after I got well, I started walking, keeping a journal of how much I have lost in inches and in pounds. I still have issues when ever I am invited to partys or potlucks at work. But I try to always ask the host at partys if It is ok for me to bring a dish. A dish that I know I can eat. Take walks, talk to people , read books, dance, learn a new language, Anything to help you though this . Belive me it gets better every single day. You will be ok!

Paul this is actually normally. I was severely depressed my first 3 months after surgery. I had a lot of crying spells, I hated my husband and I blamed everyone around me for getting me in this situation. Can you image how pleasant I was to be around? You have to have support and something to replaced the addition of food.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

When I had my band put in 3 years ago I had a total meltdown a couple weeks post-op. the realization that I'd spent my entire life turning to food and I could no longer do that.....hit me hard!!! I felt so completely and totally alone. This time I'm not having that issue, food and I worked out our love/hate relationship during that first round thank goodness! I am still having some depression issues though and that is so not me. I've had 3 semi-major life altering events in the last month since surgery, add to that the weight loss and hormone changes....bleh, I cry myself to sleep at night more often than not. I'm ALMOST ready to get on something for it, at least for the next few months.

I'm glad you have a therapist helping you through this, it's rather sad to think we've viewed food as our best friend and constant companion.

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 226.6