Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, This is my first post! I have checked all the boxes on my pre-op checklist and just need to meet with the nutritionist to schedule! First question: I've been told I'll likely throw up "a lot" at first after surgery. Is it horrible and is it one of those "I need to run to the toilet" kind of deals or do you know it's coming? Also, (and I know everyone's experiences are different), how long does this period last?

Second: I study from home. How many days post-op would I be able to sit at my desk for about 4 hours per day (in one stretch due to my daughter's school schedule)? And would I be getting up every 2 minutes to throw up?

Third (okay I lied, lol): I have a really high pain tolerance. I had 3 golf ball-sized gall stones for two years and I just thought it was gas lol! I understand this is a different type of surgery, but my daughter was 18 months at the time and I FELT able to lift her the same day. How long do you guys think my husband will need to help me around the house? Thanks for any and all info!

I'll br 4 weeks post-op Monday and haven't thrown up once....I find it kind of odd they told you that you'll throw up a lot!!!! By a week post op I would have been fine sitting for 4 hours at a time.

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 231.4

Everyone is different. I had RNY on Jan.28 and I throw up at least 3-5x a day. Surgeon said it was ketones and eventually it will pass. Almost all day I'm nauseous and I dry heave and gag. For me it's not an immediate vomit (tmi) more of a "you feel it coming" and it's only foam and slimy saliva. It sucks because I can't go many places. Threw up earlier today at a high school fair with my son. I wanted to stay but I couldn't and cried all day. I hope you're one of the ones that don't go through this.

SD:1/28/13 HW:358 SW:338 CW:297

Hey throwing up several times a day is not normal or good. Your doctor should be able to give you something to help coat your esophagus as well as medicine for nausea. The hospital usually will not let you leave until u can hold down liquids. It's normal to feel super queasy.. For a while. But the main goal is to hold in liquids - Water and start getting in that protein!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate your feedback! Not a huge fan of nausea but like someone said, maybe they can give meds for that. And honestly, how many times have I overeaten to the point of nausea!

I had no throwing up at the start and only 3-4 times since my RNY almost 7 mos and that was due to something not agreeing with me I also have a high tolorence for pain and was up and around quickly

Just had my surgery on the 25th of Feb haven't thrown up once...gassy yes nausea no....I went against medical advice n went to work Monday(1 wk after) I do home-care n take care of a woman with CP so I think u should be OK :) good luck

Queasy absolutely! Usually means I waited too long to eat. Zofran is a life saver!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 231.4

I am a little over six weeks out and have had nausea that comes and goes. I was sent home with sublingual Zofran and it is a miracle drug. I discussed prior to surgery how I hate nausea and wanted to make sure we had a plan in place. Of course I had severe nausea due to the initial pain med and PCA i was on but it got much better after 48 hours. By the time I discharged I was much better. I know can eat something and sometimes feel slight nausea and I take a pill it dissolves in my mouth and usually i feel better within 15 minutes. On occasion I have had to lay down and take a nap. I have NEVER thrown up..

You should be able to tolerate sitting and doing homework just depends on pain and how much narcotic you are taking and how you are feeling. I would strongly advise you to take the first 7-10 days off and just heal. I took six weeks of from work and will be going back on Tuesday of the upcoming week but I work as a RN in a hospital and have to lift patients and work 12 hour shifts.

You will more then likely not be able to life anything over 10 pounds for the first 2 weeks if you have laproscopic surgery. Then they say slowly increase and by a month should be able to lift 30. Just be careful bc you don't want to bust anything open or get a hernia. So if your hubby can be around for first 14 days that would help you lots.

Every person has different experiences and every surgeon has different rules. I would strongly suggest running some of this by your surgeon so he can give you the best information for your program. Good Luck

Thank you so much, everyone! I had hyperemesis while I was pregnant, and Zofran helped BIG time! I'm also concerned about nausea after surgery bc of anesthesia, which I had with my gallbladder surgery in recovery. They loaded me up with Phenergan to the point I couldn't have anymore. It's inherited, I think, bc my Mom has had several surgeries and lets her anesthesiologist know about it ahead of time, which I will do this time around, definitely.

Thank you so much' date=' everyone! I had hyperemesis while I was pregnant, and Zofran helped BIG time! I'm also concerned about nausea after surgery bc of anesthesia, which I had with my gallbladder surgery in recovery. They loaded me up with Phenergan to the point I couldn't have anymore. It's inherited, I think, bc my Mom has had several surgeries and lets her anesthesiologist know about it ahead of time, which I will do this time around, definitely.[/quote']

I am a post-op puker big time!!!! Tell your anesthesiologist pre-op, there's a lot they can do. The scopolamine patch is a lifesaver!!!!!!

Another thing to ask for is a scopolamine patch. I had one or two well in the hospital and was also sent home on one. They are good for 72 hours and really dry up secretion. They also work wonders..

Another thing to ask for is a scopolamine patch. I had one or two well in the hospital and was also sent home on one. They are good for 72 hours and really dry up secretion. They also work wonders..

Lol, can you tell who the medical folks on here are???? :)

I'm 7 weeks post op and haven't thrown up once...2 weeks post I was back to normal I have a high pain tolerance also so I didn't need any pain meds when I came home and I pretty much did everything myself....but that's just me and everyone heals differently but whatever you do do not over do it even if you feel fine