Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do all patients who have the rny procedure get drain tubes?

Do all patients who have the rny procedure get drain tubes?

Usually in Hosp unless complications require longer. And drs differ too....

I had a drain tube and came home with it had it from a Thursday the day I came home till The following Monday (5) days you have to drain it

And record how much is in the JP Drain

It is very uncomfortable can't take a deep breath

Couldn't lay on my left side because of discomfort Once the surgeon took the two

Stitches out he started pulling the tube out

Ouch it was 3feet long it was like a clown doing

A scarf trick

But once it was out instantly I had relief I could

Breath and the left side wasn't as sore

I had my revision surgery 1-22-2013

Ouch...

I hope I don't need one.

Will ask my surgeon on my next visit! :mellow:

Oh wow copmom....I'll have to ask my dr. next visit also.

Most use drain tubes. My program is was in the hospital from Thursday til Sunday and they pulled the JP drains right before I left. They use them to drain all the blood inside and watch for leaks as i had to eat blue ice chips for two days. It is almost better to have the drains to get rid of the excess then have your body try and reabsorb. I will say they are uncomfortable and when they are taken out it felt like razor blades ripping through my insides but once out I felt instant relief.

I did not have any tubes and I'm so thankful. That would have freaked me out!!!

I had the jp drain in until my one week appointment. It didn't bother me. Now removing it was a different story. Felt like a tug of war going on when they were pulling it out.

My doc doesn't typically use drains but has warned me since I'm a revision surgery there is a chance I'll have to have one (if he has to take down a lot of adhesions). If I have one i'll have to keep it for FOUR weeks (4!!!!). That'll be loads of fun at work!!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 244

I will have one while in the hospital, along with a catheter....yuck

I had a catheter once and it felt like bad menstrual cramps...I could not wait for them to take it out!...these drain tube stories have me worried though :/

I was so nauseated after surgery for the first 48 hours that I LOVED the catheter. I only had it the first day but not having to move made it so much better. It really didn't hurt and no problems when they took it out either...

I had a drain in the hospital

I heard all sorts of stories and was worried when they took it out

Didn't hurt a bit coming out

Im so scared about the catheter :unsure: