Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op health issues

I'll be 1 month post-op tomorrow and boy am I having a hard time.

I had no issues until a week after surgery when suddenly it became painful for me to drink. (was on all liquids) I struggled with liquids for 2 more weeks.. averaging 10oz a day. At that point, I was getting in zero Protein.

After I saw my doctor, he doubled my antacid and the Fluid problem started to get better. Now I just struggle to get in ENOUGH fluids, food, and protein.

I average 20-30 oz fluid. 20-30g protein. and 200-300 cal a day. I know this isn't enough, but I'm literally trying as hard as I can.

Two weeks ago, I started fainting. Surgeon thought my BP meds needed to be lowered. Did that and still fainting.

Now, my arms are tingling and going completely numb and sometimes I lose control of my hands. It's really scary.

I saw my family doctor today to have blood work, neck x-rays, and nerve conduction testing done. Neck x-rays revealed a pretty screwed up neck (I knew that, was in a wreck 10 years ago). Will have other results back in the next few days. She's pretty certain that it's all caused by deficiencies and malnutrition. (Yes, I've been taking my vitamins)

Depending on what my bloodwork and nerve conduction studies say, she may admit me for iv fluids and iv nutrients to get me back to a good place.

I'm just ready for a day when I feel HAPPY that I had the surgery, rather than regretful. My nursing program starts back next week, this is something I've worked my entire adult life for and I'm terrified I'll flunk out in my last semester because I can't physically do the 12hr days.

Jodi, I'm so sorry!! I wish I could help you in some way.

Have they checked you for a stricture? I'm not much farther out then you and I know everyone is different but I'd think you'd be farther along. Maybe the fluids would help but I want them to see if your stoma is too small. Hugs and prayers. :-).

I don't *think* I have a stricture just because I can eat the 2-4oz no problem, all food goes down fine and causes no pain. I just can't eat very frequently, so I'm only eating 2-3 meals a day. The liquids were hurting to go down, but didn't come back up into my throat or anything if that makes sense.

But I'll definitely ask about the possibility of a stricture. I'm waiting on blood work tomorrow and then I'm going to demand to be admitted and tested and FIXED! lol

I'll be 1 month post-op tomorrow and boy am I having a hard time.

I had no issues until a week after surgery when suddenly it became painful for me to drink. (was on all liquids) I struggled with liquids for 2 more weeks.. averaging 10oz a day. At that point' date=' I was getting in zero Protein.

After I saw my doctor, he doubled my antacid and the Fluid problem started to get better. Now I just struggle to get in ENOUGH fluids, food, and Protein.< /p>

I average 20-30 oz Fluid. 20-30g protein. and 200-300 cal a day. I know this isn't enough, but I'm literally trying as hard as I can.

Two weeks ago, I started fainting. Surgeon thought my BP meds needed to be lowered. Did that and still fainting.

Now, my arms are tingling and going completely numb and sometimes I lose control of my hands. It's really scary.

I saw my family doctor today to have blood work, neck x-rays, and nerve conduction testing done. Neck x-rays revealed a pretty screwed up neck (I knew that, was in a wreck 10 years ago). Will have other results back in the next few days. She's pretty certain that it's all caused by deficiencies and malnutrition. (Yes, I've been taking my vitamins)

Depending on what my bloodwork and nerve conduction studies say, she may admit me for iv fluids and iv nutrients to get me back to a good place.

I'm just ready for a day when I feel HAPPY that I had the surgery, rather than regretful. My nursing program starts back next week, this is something I've worked my entire adult life for and I'm terrified I'll flunk out in my last semester because I can't physically do the 12hr days.[/quote']

Omg!! You too I have all the above! But also pain in the middle of my chest like a heart attack kind of pain, was rushed in an ambulance 2 days ago ( not where I had surgery) and they did bloods and pumped me full of morphine, buscopan and sent me home with no explanation at all! Have you had pain in your chest? I to can hardly eat or drink :-(

Prayers are going out for you Jodi. This is just not good. Don't hesitate to let them admit you and try to get you back up to a good spot, Seems like with anything once you are down it is so hard to get back to a healthy spot, you are just too weak to do it yourself. But keep asking them questions and demand they find out what is going on you too Baratric No 4. You both need answers and solutions. Praying for you both. Let us know what you find out, And don't wait, call the docs today and get something done for yourself. Big Hugs

Yes, I have horrible chest pain, but assumed it was my pouch. I walk around rubbing my breast bone constantly because it just hurts.

Thank you worm and Vicki

Its not a stricture or your gallbladder?

Don't have a gallbladder. And food goes down ok so I don't think stricture.

I am 7 weeks post-op. I went yesterday for a follow-up. I have experienced the same things you all mentioned. I've probably only been taking in 200-300 calories a day, but have had a real problem drinking anything. It just hurts too much. I can't eat much either. The surgeon did a barium swallow and commented that it looks like I have a stricture where my stomach was sewn to the small intestine. He said this is rare. Tomorrow I go in for an EGD. He's hoping to stretch that a little with a balloon. Think good thoughts!

It was depressing to think this was as good as it was ever going to get, so I am at least encouraged to know there is a real problem and that it can be fixed.

Omg!! You too I have all the above! But also pain in the middle of my chest like a heart attack kind of pain' date=' was rushed in an ambulance 2 days ago ( not where I had surgery) and they did bloods and pumped me full of morphine, buscopan and sent me home with no explanation at all! Have you had pain in your chest? I to can hardly eat or drink :-([/quote']

The pain in your chest is your pouch talking. Also when your pouch is swollen, which it will do for quite a while it can hurt to eat and you can get sick. Sounds to me like you need to go.off the bp.meds all together and that you may need a little diluted juice from time to time to.help with sugar lows

The pain in your chest is your pouch talking. Also when your pouch is swollen' date=' which it will do for quite a while it can hurt to eat and you can get sick. Sounds to me like you need to go.off the bp.meds all together and that you may need a little diluted juice from time to time to.help with sugar lows[/quote']

Hi mich, I'm not on any meds? Update, I went to see my surgeon yesterday and he wants me in on Monday overnight to pop a camera down into my stomach to see what's happening as he suspects the stoma has decreased in size (a stenosis). When this happens, smaller and smaller amounts of regular food can pass through the stomach :-( causing me all these problems. Hope they don't have to open me up again:-(((

I am 7 weeks post-op. I went yesterday for a follow-up. I have experienced the same things you all mentioned. I've probably only been taking in 200-300 calories a day' date=' but have had a real problem drinking anything. It just hurts too much. I can't eat much either. The surgeon did a barium swallow and commented that it looks like I have a stricture where my stomach was sewn to the small intestine. He said this is rare. Tomorrow I go in for an EGD. He's hoping to stretch that a little with a balloon. Think good thoughts!

It was depressing to think this was as good as it was ever going to get, so I am at least encouraged to know there is a real problem and that it can be fixed.[/quote']

How you doing honey? Are you waiting or have you gone down, sending you lots of love and luck, hope they get you sorted xx

Prayers are going out for you Jodi. This is just not good. Don't hesitate to let them admit you and try to get you back up to a good spot' date=' Seems like with anything once you are down it is so hard to get back to a healthy spot, you are just too weak to do it yourself. But keep asking them questions and demand they find out what is going on you too Baratric No 4. You both need answers and solutions. Praying for you both. Let us know what you find out, And don't wait, call the docs today and get something done for yourself. Big Hugs[/quote']

Thank you Vicki I did exactly as you said and I'm booked in on Monday overnight so think he might put me under and get me sorted praying for an end to this pain it's unbareable and I have a very high pain tolerance with all I've been through. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me :-) xx

Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Glad they are going to take a closer look and get this figured out.