Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1. I am a lap band to r n y on the 26th. Not doing well on pre diet need to know drastic measure to shrink liver by Thursday.

2. Any successful converters?

Also all well if u take Vitamins? Also 1.5 weeks off of work? Need to be clear headed for work. Ok expectation

3. Worried about long term complications. Thoughts? Most people fine?

4. Really no beer ever

4. Really no beer ever?

Deep Breaths it is going to be ok. I would for sure stick with just Clear Liquids to day. If you have not followed the pre op diet at all your liver may not have shrunk, and that could or could not be a problem, but that will only be known once the doc is in. It will probably not effect your surgery except make it harder for the doc to get where he needs to be. Hopefully you have shrunk it some

You will be fine. You know most of the rules by being a band already, You will need to get your fluids in and Protein when it is time and Vitamins and you will need to be very consistent with those so you can be clear headed for work. I hope a week and a half is enough time. I can't attest to that since I am pre op for the band to rny revision. But I know from people on this board how important the fluids vitamins and protein are. Follow all your Doc and Nuts instructions. Walk, sip, rest and repeat. Sending you loads of prayers and postived thoughts.

PlutoMars: yes take a deep breath! Do clear liquids this really does help. It you have been mainly following the preop diet you should be ok. If not at all, there may or may not be issues. My dr doesn't require one and I was fine with a 43 BMI. Also the beer: technically yes. It's carbonated and that is a big nono for most RNY patients. Too much air in the pouch and alcohol can be processed poorly by us (see UPMC study) . But I know a lot of people that can do alcohol and carbonation a year or two out. It is just not recommend. 1 1/2 weeks off work is really pushing it. Some do two and are fine with no complications. I'm still at three but may need more since I had to have a second surgery for a stricture. Only time will tell. Good luck to you! Let us know what you need. :-).

In very much agreement with Vicki and Worm..breath. Let yesterday go and start today doing what is required...as hard as it may be to do that. You have worked hard and did some grueling test to get this far...now pick yourself up and let us (your RNY friends) continue the journey. Sending hugs and prayers your way.

To answer your questions...

1. I am a lap band to r n y on the 26th. Not doing well on pre diet need to know drastic measure to shrink liver by Thursday. You really need to get back to the pre-op diet your surgeon/bariatric center put you on and stick to it. It's the best you can do. The whole idea of the pre-op diet is to help shrink your liver for the safety of you during the surgery and it makes it easier for your surgeon. The easier the better...the smaller your liver the better and easier it is for your surgeon to hold it aside while working on your stomach. They have to push and hold the liver out of the way so as not to nick it and to have the best possibly access. Buckle down and stick to your pre-op diet...it's the best thing you can do for yourself. There are no drastic measures you can take....liquid diets are tough period. The liver is the first to gain fat weight and fortunately the first to lose it according to my surgeon. Stick STRICTLY to the pre-op diet.

2. Any successful converters? I had the lapband. It was removed in Jan/Feb of 2010 but, my surgeon said it was still a revision because the stomach still has the flap in it that held the lapband in place. She did say that they remove that flap and that will sometimes cause them to have to make the RNY pouch a bit bigger than they would for someone who hasn't had the lapband because of scarring. In my case she did make it slightly bigger but, I feel great and I'm losing weight. :)

Also all well if u take Vitamins? Vitamins are ABSOLUTELY necessary because of the malabsorption our bodies go through after RNY. We have to take a higher dose of Vitamins in order to get the right amount in our bodies because of this. Definitely buy those vitamins and try them prior to your surgery. Your surgery is close so hopefully you've gotten them already or have tried some. If not I highly recommend picking some up. My surgeon didn't require me to take them for 2-3 weeks after my surgery because she said our bodies have them stored and they can sometimes upset the pouch early after surgery for some folks. I had no issues taking mine at the 3-4 week mark and I take them daily. The hardest one to remember though is the Calcium because I can't take them in the morning with everything else. The Iron and Calcium fight for absorption so you have to take one or the other two or more hours. With Calcium your body won't absorb more than 600 mg at a time so having to take 1500 mg once again...I have to wait in between. So it's a bit harder to get all that in but, I get some calcium from milk and cheese too.

Also 1.5 weeks off of work? Need to be clear headed for work. Ok expectation My surgeon recommended 3 weeks out with a revision surgery because of the added work done to accomplish it. I ended up being out 6 weeks because I had an infection in the main incision site. Going back was still difficult because you're body is getting used to less calories and if your job is stressful...well...that doesn't help. Mine is stressful so it took a while for me to get back into the swing of things but, all set now. Everyone is different so all times back are different. Take the cues from your body and listen to them though. This is the time to take care of YOU...work will be there!

3. Worried about long term complications. Thoughts? Most people fine? There are complications for some folks just as there are for any surgery. I looked at it as...I was having more complications with being overweight at the moment and they weren't going to get any better..if anything it would get worse and a shorter life. For me the surgery was worth it. Most folks are fine. There are some postings within this board from DLCoggin that are great to read. The postings are from studies he's read about and tell of the percentage of issues etc. Worth a peek. (Sorry I can't point you to the exact postings at the moment...DL if you see this can you post the link to the thread.)

4. Really no beer ever - Go with what your surgeon/Bariatric center recommends. Mine says no carbonation. That means soda, beer anything with carbination bubbles. They say after a year out from surgeon an occassional, stressing occassional, glass of wine is ok but again that's after a year. Alcohol can and has become an issue for many RNY patients because they've replaced the comfort food with alcohol. It's really important to work on the issues of why the choice of comfort foods in the first place. Just like any habit.....they are tough to break and takes lot of mind work to accomplish conquering....but always remain a work in progress. I do know a few folks who do drink a beer here and there and have no issues. Fortunately for me, I only occassionally had a drink maybe 4 a year so I'm just choosing to not bother. Everyone is different and reacts differently to alcohol though so be careful if you choose to have it.

Good luck with your surgery!