Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if I can't 'do' puree?

HI all, I am having surgery on October 1st. I cooked all day today in order to puree and freeze my dinners for after the surgery. I tasted everything and its 'ok' , but I'm not sure I will be able to stomach that consistency. Did anyone else have a problem eating the puree meals? If I don't like it, would it be bad if I just continued with Protein shakes until I could move to soft foods?

P.S. I make chicken Soup, lentil Soup, meatballs w/ Tomato sauce for puree.

Thanks!!

I am not telling you to do anything but I skipped puree. I went to soft foods and chewed really well. But that isnt easy to do for everyone. I would talk to the doctor about it and see what they say.

HI all' date=' I am having surgery on October 1st. I cooked all day today in order to puree and freeze my dinners for after the surgery. I tasted everything and its 'ok' , but I'm not sure I will be able to stomach that consistency. Did anyone else have a problem eating the puree meals? If I don't like it, would it be bad if I just continued with Protein shakes until I could move to soft foods?

P.S. I make chicken Soup, lentil soup, meatballs w/ Tomato sauce for puree.

Thanks!![/quote']

I thought there was no way I would do it it! Yuck!

Even thought I'd rather have baby food (meat)

The baby food meat was so bad I threw it out!

By the time I got to purée I was so happy to have something that wasn't sweet, I loved it!

I did things like meatballs and sauce or meatloaf with watery gravy and watery instant mashed potatoes :)

I wanted to do right by my new sleeve and my doctors strict orders :)

Mashed potatoes are a puree, so I made made mashed sweet potatoes & added Protein Powder. The Soups were fine for me, too, and I often added Unjury chicken Soup for extra Protein. Good luck!

HI all' date=' I am having surgery on October 1st. I cooked all day today in order to puree and freeze my dinners for after the surgery. I tasted everything and its 'ok' , but I'm not sure I will be able to stomach that consistency. Did anyone else have a problem eating the puree meals? If I don't like it, would it be bad if I just continued with Protein shakes until I could move to soft foods?

P.S. I make chicken Soup, lentil soup, meatballs w/ Tomato sauce for puree.

Thanks!![/quote']

I needed to be on puréed for 2weeks. Well, the first week I was still working on managing the shakes and yogurt. By the time the second week came around I got into my supply of pre-planned puréed food and was able to manage it only once a day. But I needed to do it. Before the end of the 2 weeks I was just eating soft food, very small bites, and chewing very well. I'm 4 weeks out now and there are nights I still need my pureed Soups because my belly is just not up to soft solid food. A lot of people freak out at the idea of pureed food - but i't okay. it's temporary, not forever. you can do it!

I thought it would gross me out but like others say, you get real,sick of the shakes. Crazy as it sounds, if I purée the food and put it on a coffee mug I find it more palatable if i don't actually see it, like in a bowl. And if you allowed mashed potatoes, most meats and fish taste really good mixed in. Salmon with mashed potatoes and a little chopped spinach has tasted divine this week. I have four weeks of puréed required. Two weeks down...

Thanks all!

I am not telling you to do anything but I skipped puree. I went to soft foods and chewed really well. But that isnt easy to do for everyone. I would talk to the doctor about it and see what they say.

I did the same thing!

I did deviled eggs puree and they were the most delicious eggs ever!

Yuck. Puree stage is horrible. I have to do it for 3 weeks, i'm 2 weeks in. I drink 2 Bariatric Fusion shakes with 8oz of Lactaid which gives me my minimum Protein requirement. Throughout the day I'll have 1/4 cup scrambled eggs, a 6oz Yoplait Light yogurt cup, a 100 calorie Healthy Choice greek froyo cup, and 60 Gerber Lil' Crunchies Snacks, and at least 32oz of Crystal Light. I get all my liquids and about 80g of protein, right around 800 calories a day. It sucks and I'm dying for some chicken salad or stringcheese, but beats putting turkey, potatoes, gravy, etc. in a blender...

Thank you :)

After two weeks of Clear Liquids & Protein Shakes pre-op & another 4 weeks after surgery, those pureed foods are wonderful. Of course, I'm full on 2-3 ounces. It's only been 4 days so I haven't tried a lot of different things but I have had pureed refried Beans with low fat cheddar cheese, pureed Stagg chili with the cheese & pureed tuna & hard-boiled egg mixed with Walden Farms honey mustard mayo. I have had some greek yogurt with sugar-free syrups for flavor, but I'm just not a big fan of yogurt.

With my NUT's permission, I didn't each very much pureed food. I did have scrambled eggs and a few other things a few times, but I just mostly stuck with Protein Shakes. After I got to soft foods, I have expanded my food consumption to the expected level, and cut back on the Protein shakes.< /p>