Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have two more nutritionist appointments to go before I get a date, all my other pre op tests are done...and I find myself thinking "what if I would be better off with gastric bypass?". My only reasoning behind that is for faster, guaranteed weight loss. Has anyone else experienced this? I really had my mind set on being sleeved, now I'm second guessing. :(

That's best discussed with your doctor....he/she should be able to make a suggestion as to the surgery that's most appropriate for you.

As you probably know, we hear all sorts of horror stories with any WLS surgery....and this is not one of those.....but my sister has malabsorption issues from the bypass----not everyone does---so that's one of the deciding factors for me, plus my doctor was supportive of the sleeve. Her malabsorption means she has to go to the clinic (monthly I think) and get hooked up to an IV to get her deficiencies met.....and she is fine with it, it's doing what it needs to do....but, I didn't want to take that chance seeing our genetics are so close.....

good luck with whatever you decide.

I have two more nutritionist appointments to go before I get a date, all my other pre op tests are done...and I find myself thinking "what if I would be better off with gastric bypass?". My only reasoning behind that is for faster, guaranteed weight loss. Has anyone else experienced this? I really had my mind set on being sleeved, now I'm second guessing. :(

I can honestly say that any wls is only a tool.....it's how you use the tool. Recently I was at a support group and out of 30 people only 4 of us had the sleeve. The remaining folks had the bypass. Out of the 26 with the bypass only one was happy with it and had no problems. That shocked me. Several were people who had it done more than 2 years ago when the sleeve was not known really. Most admitted if they could do it again the sleeve would have been their choice. That being said the wieght loss for most of those folks were the same as the sleeve patient's. Hope in some way this helps. Best Wishes Tina

Check with your surgical team. The sleeve CAN be followed by bypass. But the bypass Cannot be followed by the sleeve. You say "My only reasoning behind that is for faster, guaranteed weight loss..." Nothing is guaranteed. Follow the program and you will lose weight as fast as your body can. But maybe that won't be as fast as you want to lose...

If my surgical team were at all helpful or existent I would be. I go to an MTF on base. You get better communication in Mexico. I was just asking if anyone had second guesses, nothing more ..thanks.

guaranteed weight loss.

mrsrichardharrow

there are only two guarantees in life :huh:

death and taxes :angry:

"we're" all biased on the sleeve board - saying that the sleeve is the best WLS

the sleeve IS the best of course, thats why we're here silly head :lol:

malabsorption problems go hand in hand with the bypass :angry:

other problems too :angry:

you can & many do stretch their pouch

85% of our stomach has been cut out of our lives with the sleeve

their are different discussions, but my NUT/surgeon say that you cannot stretch your sleeve unless you graze all day, eat soooo much continueally - you will vomit get sick

the "stretchy" part of the stomach i was told was "cut" out

some/many/most sleevers/NUTS/surgeons go along with this theory

of course you have to totally follow all the "rules" of eating, moderation, chewing - eat slowly - and of course Water, Water, WATER

anything will fail if you don't do what you are supposed to do

i can see B) you are a smart "cookie" :lol:

please don't 2nd guess yourself now :wacko:

you will love the sleeve

it will be the beginning of your new, healthier, happier, longer life :)

good luck

kathy

Who told you it was guaranteed weight loss? Weight loss is pretty much guaranteed with any surgery. How much and how long varies for any surgery and the main variable in that equation is the individual, and bypass has malabsorption issues they are just now beinning to understand the depth of.

If my surgical team were at all helpful or existent I would be. I go to an MTF on base. You get better communication in Mexico. I was just asking if anyone had second guesses' date=' nothing more ..thanks.[/quote']

What MTF are you going to? I had my sleeve at Womack at Fort Bragg.