Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self pay initial consult question

Hello,

I'm just beginning the process and will probably be self pay. I'm wondering about the cost of the initial consultation. Specifically, I'm in GA but any input would help. I'm guessing it isn't a free initial consultation, but would love to be pleasantly surprised!

Also, if you are self pay (in the US) do you have to pay out of pocket for all of the initial tests and evaluations or is that part of the total cost? I know 6 months of postop checkups is included. Would my insurance cover the initial testing if they are not covering the WLS?

Thanks for any guidance!

Red

I am looking at going self pay myself. I can't help you with the first question but will share what I know about the second.

The doctor I am looking at includes the pre-op tests in the fee (which looks like it will be around 18K). I've looked at a number of other websites and some specifically say pre-op tests aren't included.

If you're like me and like to gather up as much info as possible, give the doctor's office a call.

Good luck!

I was self pay in Florida. I had to pay $250 for my initial consult, but that rolled into my surgeons fees. All of my preop testing I bike through insurance and just had to pay the copay that went along with them...they have covered their part on everything.

The two "surprises" I had through the whole thing is I had 2 chest X-rays required during preop and I did not know until I got the bill I was responsible for it, as well as my surgeon required a biopsy of the stomach after its removed that was not a part of my package either, so post op I had an additional $400 in bills between these two things. So just clarify when you meet with the financial person what is covered in their package and what is not.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I was sleeved in the us and my husband in Mexico, we have a bit of knowledge in the self pay column.

Also save all of your receipts for Protein powder and everything because if you meet the required percentage you will be able to do a tax write off over that percentage.

The initial testings can be covered by insurance if you have it, or you might have to pay. I don't think they're usually covered by the procedure's costs.

Thank you so much for your answers!

I did the online seminar last night and am waiting for them to call for an appointment.

I will make sure to take this info with me to hopefully understand how to pay for bill everything!

The website said the sleeve started at $11,000 which isn't pocket change but seem to be on the lower end of many I have seen on here.

Thanks again!

Wow.. You joined 3 years ago? Have you been considering the sleeve that long?

I was sleeve by Dr. James Davidson last July, it was $11,000 and it included all pre- op except some labs, surgery and hospital fees and nutrition classes, also one- year of after care and classes!

Wow.. You joined 3 years ago? Have you been considering the sleeve that long?

No, 3 years ago I joined the LapBand talk forum, they are connected. I was considering LapBand 3 years ago. Then, I stopped considering anything as our insurance wasn't covering anything. I was also pretty "healthy" for being so overweight. When I joined this forum last week, I had to go through the lapband forum. Insurance still isn't covering it but now I'm having issues, mainly aches and pains preventing me from even trying to get out and move. So, insurance or not, it's time!

I was sleeve by Dr. James Davidson last July, it was $11,000 and it included all pre- op except some labs, surgery and hospital fees and nutrition classes, also one- year of after care and classes!

Oh wow, that's awesome! Great to know the possibility is there! Thanks so much!

Oh wow' date=' that's awesome! Great to know the possibility is there! Thanks so much![/quote']

He is a great surgeon, after my first visit I was sleeved with in 6 weeks, I know several people who used him with great results... I was sleeved July 30, 2012, when I started I weighed 354 one year out I'm at 195!

I wonder if you need all of the extra visits (nutritionist, psych, etc...) if you are self pay. I don't think my surgeon required it, my insurance company did.

I wonder if you need all of the extra visits (nutritionist, psych, etc...) if you are self pay. I don't think my surgeon required it, my insurance company did.

I'm guessing I might not need as much preop stuff; however, I would think they might still need to know that you are healthy enough for the surgery and are getting it for the right reason? Maybe if not required due to insurance, they can determine some of that in the consultation.

Hope to find out soon!

Don't get me wrong, I found it all to be very helpful, but my surgeon didn't require it. Best of luck to you!

Don't get me wrong, I found it all to be very helpful, but my surgeon didn't require it. Best of luck to you!

Thanks so much!

Not sure if this is a option for you, but many people here that have done self-pay, have had a great experience going to Mexico.

They are real doctors performing surgery is real hospitals... I am having Sleeve surgery done next Friday with Dr. Garcia and I'm paying $4700 which includes all pre-op and post-op tests, leak tests, meds, 2 nights hospital and 3 night hotel (5 Star Marriott Tijuana Hotel), transportation too and from the SD Airport.

Before spending the last year researching WLS in Mexico, if someone told me to goto Mexaico to have surgery, I would have told them they were out of their minds !!!! lol However... it is really safe, and some of the worlds best doctors are doing WLS in Mexaico.

Again, not sure if this is a option for you... But I know I would have NEVER considered of going to Mexico before I researched it.