Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else extremely nervous???

:help:

Hi:

I am scheduled to be banded one week from tomorrow (the 16th). The hospital called today and asked a lot of questions so I guess reality has finally sunk in!! Everyone seems like this was no big deal and I am super nervous. Not so much about the surgery itself but about not beaing able to EVER eat soem of my favorite foods again (pizza, a glass of red wine, even a french frie or two now and again) - I don't want to be able to ea these types of food to abandon but never to even be able to taste them again? Obviously food has been an important 9and bad) friend of mine for years (r I wouldn't need to be banded :nervous ) so I am looking forward to the help that the band will hopefully provide in the form as another tool toward my goal of being healthy and happy but I have to admit the whole food abstinence thing is throwing me for a loop.

I am sure once the results start happening I will be estatic but..did anyone else feel this way?

Thanks,

Rachel

for me i was fine until i got to the hospital. I had a major freak out there.... i almost left the only thing that calmed me down was thinking how ridiculous i would look. Now I am so happy that i went through with it. And it's normal to freak out alittle, try not to worry.

I was very nervous, anxious and excited before surgery. Everything you're feeling is normal. Don't think that you'll NEVER be able to eat the foods you love. You will, just in very small portions and not so often. Some foods might not agree with you and you will learn to deal with that. It's a whole new way of life and you just have to work your way through it. I had a couple of fries the other day for the first time and I was fine. You'll be okay. And CONGRATS on the 16th..... You're on your way to a new you!

Im a little nervous too. I hated the idea of giving up all of my fave foods. However, last night, I ate dinner with my best friend Tammy. She had the gastric bypass the beginning of October. It was really refreshing to see her eat what everyone else had for dinner. She didnt even fill up half of the small desert plate but was full off of what she ate.

That really helped me. I know that I wont be able to eat my fave foods like I used to, but I will be able to eat food again someday!

Im sure its really normal to feel this nervous...I just hope I dont have a panic attack after its done!

My band date is the 18th of January! I am so nervous and scared....don't want to admit it to the family but I am. I'm not required to be on a strict pre-op diet, just to try and do low calorie low fat. Most days I'm fine but then I get in an old routine and catch myself eating peanut m&m's because I might not tolerate them later! If I can't stay on a simple low fat/low calorie diet how am I going to be able to do this? So guess what I'm saying is it's not just you, this is a big step and we're a little (okay, a lot!) nervous. From what I've seen on here, as soon as it's over and things start going our way it will be a lot easier.

I am scheduled for surgery on Jan. 29th, and the closer it gets the more nervous and anxious I get from time to time. I am more nervous about the surgery itself. Hoping it will be a success with no complications, and most of all that I wake up. Because lets face it, I want to live, thats why I am doing this.

I know how you feel Stacyrtl, I was so worried I wouldn't wake up that I made vidoetapes for everyone telling them how much I loved them! You'll do great and congratulations.

I was banded last March 2006 and felt exactly the same way, especially about never being able to eat my fave foods again. For me I thought I would mourn spare ribs, it was my comfort food it was my binge food and I loved getting all messy eating them. Guess what? I have not had a spare rib since February 2006 and I do not miss them one bit. I was in a restaraunt last Sunday and the guy sitting next to me order the biggest plate of ribs i have ever seen and I felt nothing. The mourning period has ended and I am loving the new me.

It gets easier and easier, so relax and with a little bit of patients and prayer you will be thin in no time.

GOOD LUCK!!

I was really nervous leading up to surgery. I had to take a pill to calm me down once I made it to the hospital. That is completely normal. I feel great now and I'm happy I did it.

What you are feeling is pretty common. Don't worry. There are many unknowns and different paths to walk down that some of the restrictions and fears may not be warranted.

For each of us the journey is different, yet their are common roads we will travel. Look at it as a new adventure. You aren't "giving up" food, but trying new ones. It really isn't as bad as some imagine. I have enjoyed my journey so far and have absolutely no regrets.

Good luck to those getting ready.

I had surgery on a Wednesday. I was nervous the Saturday before. I was amazingly calm and indifferent the night before surgery (went to bed early, slept through the night) and the morning of. It seemed - routine, in a weird way. Fine the entire time UNTIL...

In the prep area, where they get your IV in, your hat on, give you the initial sedative, etc. -- I started getting nervous. Just a little, nothing like butterflies. They closed the curtain and asked me to change into the robe. I got up, put the robe on, and could NOT make myself lay on the bed/gurney/whatever. I just couldn't do it. I started shaking and crying. Not much, but a little. And I am NOT an emotional person. So that's saying a lot. It truly felt like I just couldn't do it. DH was there and I had to keep asking him if I was doing the right thing. I kept telling him, "I don't think I can do this..."

This was my first surgery, I'd never even had an IV before (other than infancy), so most of my anticipation was around the unknowns of what would happen, what would I remember, what would be going on when I woke up, etc.

I am scheduled to be banded on January 17th, and I must admit that I'm getting nervous. I have to be on a liquid diet for 7 days, which begins tomorrow.:cry I think the hardest thing for me post-op is going to be no carbonated beverages. I start each day with a Diet Coke! I don't regret my decision to be banded, but I think my nervousness comes from not knowing how I'm going to feel after surgery. I'm planning on going back to work on the Monday following my Wednesday surgery. Is that too soon? Do I really have to wait 4-6 weeks to get my first fill? I know my body needs time to heal, but didn't y'all get hungry during that 4-6 week period? I'm afraid I'll feel defeated during that 4-6 week period if I gain weight. I'm seeing my doctor this Thursday, and I'm prepared with a ton of questions, but it helps so much to read about those of you who have gone through this already. I'll gladly take to heart any advice you can give!

Hi All

as far as not being able to eat your favorite foods - well, you might be able to. I have the big Vanguard Band and I was able to eat ANYTHING until about fill number 5. I can still eat anything - just lots less of it.

You PROBABLY will be able to eat a little of anything after you heal up - so don't worry too much.

Hugs!

I'm also scheduled for Jan 16th and I go back and forth on the nerves. When I'm at work and concentrating on what I'm doing I'm fine. These days, however, the middle of the night is another story. I usually wake up around 3:00 am to my own private banding house of horrors. I imagine that I'll become paralyzed from the anesthesia and after surgery the only thing I'll be able to move is my forehead, so the only activity available to me in life will be frowning.

I cried when they took me back. It is so freaky to think no more fajitas, enchiladas, etc. when I am stressed. However, 2 weeks later I would not go back for nothing. This is going to work!