Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does it take to heal!?

So my problem is Im having surgery next week and Im wondering how long it takes to heal because i cant afford much time off of work. Is a week enough?? I have one desk job and my other job is as a hostess.

That's super individual. What I've read says a 5-8 day recovery time on average (assuming no complications), but there are a lot of posters that say they wish they had taken more time off because they were exhausted and felt miserable.

Everyone feels different. There are many who go back right away, and many who need another week or so. I had surgery on Friday, came home from hospital on Monday night, I felt good enough the following Monday to return to normal activities. Two jobs might be tough though. Maybe ease in one at a time.

Everyone feels different. There are many who go back right away' date=' and many who need another week or so. I had surgery on Friday, came home from hospital on Monday night, I felt good enough the following Monday to return to normal activities. Two jobs might be tough though. Maybe ease in one at a time.[/quote']

My surgery is scheduled for next Wed I'm taking off 4 weeks . I'm nervous as hell

Everyone feels different. There are many who go back right away, and many who need another week or so. I had surgery on Friday, came home from hospital on Monday night, I felt good enough the following Monday to return to normal activities. Two jobs might be tough though. Maybe ease in one at a time.

yeah I feel like it might make me extremely exhausted but like I said Im not sure I have the funds to take off more than lets say 10 days. Some ppl are also telling me disability takes a while to kick in and its not your full amount sooo Im scared. Young, confused and lack experience with this stuff

Like all of the posters have said, everybody is different. A lot of people take several weeks off, but people with desk jobs often go back to work in a week. But, even though you can do your job, it takes a while to get all of your energy back. I am almost 6 weeks out, and I still don't have all of my energy. So, starting back to 2 jobs might be hard. I would start back to the desk job, then maybe give the hostess job an extra week.

I concur with bradycone's advice

yeah I feel like it might make me extremely exhausted but like I said Im not sure I have the funds to take off more than lets say 10 days. Some ppl are also telling me disability takes a while to kick in and its not your full amount sooo Im scared. Young' date=' confused and lack experience with this stuff[/quote']

Plan on going back in a week, but take it easy. Don't sit to long, don't stand to long. Do your leg exercises while you work, etc. A positive attitude goes a long way in the healing process.

If you need to take off longer, you'll know sooner than later.

Oh, and use a stool while you hostess, if possible. The walking is great, but resting I between is even better!

I have a sit down job and I had meant to go back to work a week after surgery. My surgeon talked me into taking 3 weeks off and I am so glad. Yes, I COULD have gone back but its hard to get all your Water & Protein in at first and I would have been so tired and miserable. I probably could have gone back easily at two weeks but my company put me through so much hell getting my leave set up that it wasn't worth it for me to try and change the date.

Still at 2 weeks out there are days I am very glad to be able to nap and not work.

I planned to take two weeks, but ended up being off nearly 5. I got a post op infection and was just really exhausted. You are young, so you might do better. I would plan for a week, but have a backup plan in case that doesn't work out. Hopefully you won't need it.