Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to do this test before the surgery, anyone did the test before the surgery too? Its like a endoscopy? I want to have an idea, help please! Thanks :)

I had an upper GI w barium swallow pre-op....it was nothing, basically an x-ray...and endoscopy is a bigger deal (I've heard). The leak test after surgery was worse (just because the liquid they have you swallow is TERRIBLE tasting...makes barium seem delish :-)

Ugh!! Not looking forward to the leak test!!

Did you have to do a endoscopy?

A barium swallow is a piece of cake. Not sure what procedure youre having or how much you'll have to drink, but when I have my liver scan I have to drink soooo much it's an issue, but the taste is fine. An endoscopy is also a piece of cake.. You're asleep so no biggy. The leak test is also a piece of cake.. Just a nasty tasting piece of cake ;)

I had a barium swallow pre-op and post-op as the leak test. They were the same test for me, except post surgery it was harder to swallow enough barium to get a clear picture and rolling on that table felt like absolute torture, even with the most patient radiologist and aide in the world!

You swallow barium and they take a bunch of xrays. You get on a table that move, you go from standing to laying down, rolling to this side and the other side and hold your breath while they take a series of xrays. You sip the barium the whole time, which tastes like Mylanta without any flavor. Chalky, kinda gross.

I never had to do any other testing, no endoscopy, no other leak test that these others say tasted worse than the barium. I just had the pre-op and post-op barium swallow.

I am a band to sleeve conversion patient -- surgery this Monday. I haven't heard anything about a leak test?? Does every sleeve patient have this, post op? I have done plenty of barium swallows -- no biggie, and did the EGD last month, also no big deal.

I am a band to sleeve conversion patient -- surgery this Monday. I haven't heard anything about a leak test?? Does every sleeve patient have this' date=' post op? I have done plenty of barium swallows -- no biggie, and did the EGD last month, also no big deal.[/quote']

I'm pretty sure every patient has a post-op leak test as a condition of release

Did you have to do a endoscopy?

Not for now....

My Doctor does a leak test while you're still under. So no swallow test post op for me.

Lucky you! It was funny because the guy who wheeled me down to procedure "warned me" about the gross liquid I'd have to take a sip of...then the technician did the same, and then a third person...and they were totally right (but, it was one sip and 5 minutes later it was already a memory). As an aside, I asked why they don't just use barium as was done in pre-op and the answer I was given was that IF there was a leak the barium would be very problematic to leak into your system

The barium tastes like Mylanta and its a lot to drink but just be warned at least this happened with me, I had some diarrhea the next day. Tmi I know!

Thank you, now I have an idea about the test..

I am a band to sleeve conversion patient -- surgery this Monday. I haven't heard anything about a leak test?? Does every sleeve patient have this' date=' post op? I have done plenty of barium swallows -- no biggie, and did the EGD last month, also no big deal.[/quote']

The leak test is not a big deal except the stuff they have you drink tastes like dawn dish soap with lemon. It's pretty disgusting. If they make you do the swallow test I suggest anti nausea meds first. I'm a band to sleeve conversion as well. I'm almost 6 weeks out. Good luck.