Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having surgery about three hours from home. We're trying to work out the logistics now. My sister is going to be with me and she also lives three hours away but in the opposite direction. She wants to come and get me and then drive me to surgery and then drive me back home and then drive back to her house which would be a total of 18 hours of driving if she would just meet me there she would only have to drive six hours. I hope you were able to follow all that. Anyway, do you think I would be able to drive myself home a few days after surgery? I could really use some input from some of you that've been there.

My doctor said no driving for a week after surgery. In addition to that I was still on Tylenol with Codeine....so no driving. Have your sister grab a hotel room close by. Good luck.

-Jonathan 5/8/13 sleeve date

I doubt your surgeon will allow you to leave without a driver. I've had three surgeries at three hospitals and all required you to have a support person upon discharge. No cabs, either. Let her take care of you. My twenty minute ride home was misery, No way I could have driven.

I would not have been able to drive myself home. It was difficult enough being a passenger, definitely bring a pillow on the trip home and squeeze it against you, bumps are not your friend! Good luck to you!

I was told I could drive when I stopped taking pain meds for at least 24 hours but you are still going to have the hospital pain meds in you and I bet they give you something by mouth before you leave. Driving is not a good idea. Most hospitals will not let you drive when released anyway

There was no way my Dr. Would have allowed me to drive home. I didn't drive right away....

I don't think there is an american hospital that will release you to drive. Plus you will not be up to it.

Be safe!

I think everyone on here is correct that the Doctor/Hospital will not approve of your driving home after surgery. One thing that really suprised me is that I got terribly carsick in the car for the first week after surgery - even when I tried to drive 5 days out! I was not expecting that - no one had told me about that. But apparently, that can be fairly common. It goes away in time on it's own, but I would say that driving while nauseous is a dangerous combination. You may not have this issue, but it is quite possible you might. Other people in my support group experienced this, some severely enough that they had to take presription meds everytime they went somewhere in the car for the first couple of weeks.

I agree with the previous posters. I don't think it's possible. At my hospital, even though I was able to walk fine, the nurse was required to wait outside with me for my mom to pull up and make sure I got in with somebody....and not driving myself. I know it will be a pain for you sister, but if she is willing to do it, let her!

Most surgeons use opiate based pain killers which when you're not used to taking them can impair your ability to drive. Many states consider driving under their influence a felony not just a misdemeanor.

My hospital also required a driver and wouldn't check me out until he was present. You can ask their policy.

Do you have a friend who can pick you up? Is anyone staying with you post surgery?

Okay, we've got it worked out. My husband is going to meet my sister halfway. Thanks for the input!