Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I'm disappointed, not necessarily upset over this. I'd like to know the science behind this. I like to know how things work.

So this week I was told that the "eat more calories and busy through a stall" thing is a myth. But why did I lose faster doing weight watchers eating about 1300 calories a day? Or vegan eating probably close to 1500 calories a day. Or Atkins eating a ton! (I know, Ketosis, but I lost slow in Ketosis on this 'diet' too.

Now. I'm thrilled to pieces about the sleeve. For once in my life I feel like this is going to last. This is working. I just wonder why so slow?

/rant

Ps the last month I've lost

What the heck? On all 3 other diets I lost about 5/week. For weeks on end. Especially vegan. I remember getting on the scales every week and seeing a 6 lb loss. I'm working out a lot now and I was doing the same exercises then.

It just doesn't make sense to me and I'd love to get all technical. This is making me wonder if I need more calories. Or if I need to eat more than 20 carbs etc. if I lost 3-6 lbs a week doing weight watchers, maybe I need to go back up to 1200 calories with a lot of Fiber etc. I feel confused.

When did you have your surgery? Were you a lightweight?

I am totally with you Amy. When I dieted pre-op, I lost 40 lbs in 6 weeks doing the South Beach Diet (stayed below 40 carbs). I have lost 52 lbs in the 4 months since I had my surgery. I agree that I have no regrets about surgery but wish it would come off faster like before. I will say that I weighed almost 100 more lbs than I do now when that weight came off so quickly so maybe that is why. I did no exercise at that time either, now I walk an hour at least 5 days a week and only lose 1 to 3 lbs a week :/

And what happened when we lost all that weight super quick..... ?

Hahaha I said end rant and kept blabbing. Lol

I had surgery march 2nd this year at 224 lbs. im 5'3 so my bmi was 40.

I'm 188.9 now. Don't get me wrong, I love that number and I'm not comparing myself to others, but I AM comparing to my own past history.

And what happened when we lost all that weight super quick..... ?

Oh I realize. I mentioned that this is the first time I've felt that this is the real deal. I just want to know why. And if I should start eating more calories. I'm not even sure that i can right now though really since I'm pretty much just eating what I want (within reason), getting my Protein, 1 Protein Drink, taking my Vitamins and drinking my Water and that still keeps me under 800 calories a day. And I even fry my egg in bacon grease sometimes!!! ;)

Amy whatever your middle name is? tuggle!!!

You are just in the beginning stages.

Your weight loss is on par with mine.

Are you going to call me a failure?? :P

I know I want mine gone now too :(

But I am turning a new leaf and allowing myself time. I will wait a year and if I'm not almost at goal then I will start thinking something might be wrong, stress about weight is probably not helping you lose weight either..

Amy whatever your middle name is? tuggle!!!

You are just in the beginning stages.

Your weight loss is on par with mine.

Are you going to call me a failure?? :P

I know I want mine gone now too :(

But I am turning a new leaf and allowing myself time. I will wait a year and if I'm not almost at goal then I will start thinking something might be wrong' date=' stress about weight is probably not helping you lose weight either..[/quote']

Rofl

I think I always sound more annoyed than I really am. I'm not, I just wanna know why. Yanno? Cuz it don't make no sense, yo! ;)

Not a failure. But damnit I'm gonna eat some healthy carbs by gollee, and live life and stop obsessing over every little thing. I'm still gonna track, but I'm not gonna freak if I have a carby day as long as I get my Protein. I mean. Surely I'll still lose 1.2 lb a week at least, and who knows. Maybe if I chill the heck out maybe, just maybe my body will decide to play nice.

I AM LOSING INCHES!! So it's something. And I got an omron body fat percentage thing to play with too so I can see that my body fat is actually going down. scales are evil. They withhold truth.

It had a lot to do with your BMR suffering as a result of eating low calorie for so long. The body is trying to hold onto as many calories as possible because it is literally starving. Eating low calorie like a new post op is not sustainable for very long (not really sure of duration, but probably not longer then, say, 5 months). Eating low calorie (eg 600-900) is really helpful in that initial phase as a post op, but will harm your BMR long term if not careful. You may find having such a low BMR causes weight loss to plateau indefinitely and there becomes a point where there is nothing you can do to resolve it. Not cutting calories, not working out more, not anything.

A suggestion, if you are interested, is to get your caloric intake up to a reasonable spot to support your lifestyle and fitness. Focus on building your eating plan around the macro nutrient ratios. You can do this by slowly increasing good carbs and fats over many meals during the day ( eat every 2-3 hours). Because of the sleeve you will always be limited by quantity, so it is important to eat frequently throughout the day.

Once you achieve equilibrium of calories in versus out in your body according to 200-300 below TDEE, you will begin to experience that 5-7 lb a week loss that you have enjoyed with WW or with a vegan lifestyle. This is a happy place for the body to be and it gives you the freedom to let go of dieting rituals like tracking or being denied real food (as long as it is healthy).

Let me know what you think. :)

Rofl

I think I always sound more annoyed than I really am. I'm not' date=' I just wanna know why. Yanno? Cuz it don't make no sense, yo! ;)

Not a failure. But damnit I'm gonna eat some healthy carbs by gollee, and live life and stop obsessing over every little thing. I'm still gonna track, but I'm not gonna freak if I have a carby day as long as I get my Protein. I mean. Surely I'll still lose 1.2 lb a week at least, and who knows. Maybe if I chill the heck out maybe, just maybe my body will decide to play nice.

I AM LOSING INCHES!! So it's something. And I got an omron body fat percentage thing to play with too so I can see that my body fat is actually going down. scales are evil. They withhold truth.[/quote']

Now there's the Amy I know and love :D

Eat healthy don't suffer, hell yesterday I went out to Thai food and had a little cake (daughters birthday) and I'm still ok today.

I know you've heard some of my crazy theory's as why we are slow :P but hey I'm done chasing my tail on the whys. We need to live breathe and be happy that we did this and it's slowly getting better everyday!

And once you have six months under you belt like me you will say "hey I've lost some pretty good weight!"

This time is different because its a different mechanism. Instead if under-eating your stomach you are aiming to feel full at every meal, and eating a lot of Protein. These things are like a breath of fresh air to your body. It starts to let go of the weight that it piled on when it thought it was starving. It doesn't do it in a hurry because it doesn't trust you yet. You haven't been very nice to it in the past with all those diets and weight fluctuations. It's normal to lose weight slowly because your body likes to stay in equilibrium. Also I'm sure you are still losing it faster than you gained it. At the same time, the fullness and protein will repair your metabolism, which is probably really slow now.

It had a lot to do with your BMR suffering as a result of eating low calorie for so long. The body is trying to hold onto as many calories as possible because it is literally starving. Eating low calorie like a new post op is not sustainable for very long (not really sure of duration' date=' but probably not longer then, say, 5 months). Eating low calorie (eg 600-900) is really helpful in that initial phase as a post op, but will harm your BMR long term if not careful. You may find having such a low BMR causes weight loss to plateau indefinitely and there becomes a point where there is nothing you can do to resolve it. Not cutting calories, not working out more, not anything.

A suggestion, if you are interested, is to get your caloric intake up to a reasonable spot to support your lifestyle and fitness. Focus on building your eating plan around the macro nutrient ratios. You can do this by slowly increasing good carbs and fats over many meals during the day ( eat every 2-3 hours). Because of the sleeve you will always be limited by quantity, so it is important to eat frequently throughout the day.

Once you achieve equilibrium of calories in versus out in your body according to 200-300 below TDEE, you will begin to experience that 5-7 lb a week loss that you have enjoyed with WW or with a vegan lifestyle. This is a happy place for the body to be and it gives you the freedom to let go of dieting rituals like tracking or being denied real food (as long as it is healthy).

Let me know what you think. :)[/quote']

You went all kinds of technical there, I had to read it a few times. I don't know what some of those things mean but I'm a google fiend so I did figure some things out. :) TDEE was one of them. So I found a calculator and my TDEE is supposedly 2,528. Is that crazy? So I should be getting about 2,200 calories a day from Protein, healthy fats (yay) and healthy carbs, correct?

I'm gonna have to look up macro nutrient ratios.

Thanks so much for coming to my thread with all your research and knowledge. I just heart you.

So is it time to give up the Protein Drink? Fine with me! That's what I have along with Water though, during my early morning workouts. I'm always so hungry at that time. Or maybe I won't be starving at 5:45 am if I'm not starving myself.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Ok how am I supposed to eat 173 grams of Protein a day???

I would say yes, but do work up to any changes you want to make. It has taken me months to go from 1100 calories to an average of 1600 calories. Likewise I have also worked my way up from 125 grams Protein to 170 grams. This is 684 calories for 170 grams of protein. The rest of the calories come from good carbs and good fats along with vegetables. As you know I am also fairly active. You need to include your fitness levels when determining caloric intake. I basically eat every 2-3 hours about 200 (sometimes more sometimes less) calories giving me about 1600 calories.

I would say yes' date=' but do work up to any changes you want to make. It has taken me months to go from 1100 calories to an average of 1600 calories. Likewise I have also worked my way up from 125 grams Protein to 170 grams. This is 684 calories for 170 grams of Protein. The rest of the calories come from good carbs and good fats along with vegetables. As you know I am also fairly active. You need to include your fitness levels when determining caloric intake. I basically eat every 2-3 hours about 200 (sometimes more sometimes less) calories giving me about 1600 calories.[/quote']

Haha! Fiddleman I put my fitness level as "lazy slug that never moves" :P