Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, my surgery is this Friday, May 3. I am both excited and terrified. I haven't made it through one day of the pre-op diet successfully. I have cheated and I mean REALLY cheated every single day. In fact when I began this process my weight was 220 lbs six months later and four days before surgery I am now 245 lbs - this is my all time highest weight. What is wrong with me?!

Good Lord, I hope not!!! I'm in the same boat as you. This pre-op diet is way harder than I thought it was going to be. If it's like this after the surgery, I'm in major trouble! I hope we have a better day of it tomorrow. Good luck.

Oh thank you! I was beginning to think that I'm hopeless. I'm so happy for so many who have beenable to lose weight in the pre-op phase ... I wish I could be one of them but that just isn't my reality! Yes, here's to tomorrow. Good luck to you also!

You should be honest about it with your surgeon though, , , the purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink the fat round the liver, which they have to maneuver around to do the surgery on the stomach

I understand that you've probably panicked and eaten more in the time leading up to surgery because you are thinking about how after surgery you won't be able to eat those things for a while -- I hear ya. I've gained in the time I was jumping through the hoops to qulaify for surgery. But....I will do the pre-op diet very strictly (starts 5/8!), because my surgeon requires it in order to help him do his job. I know it's going to be killer hard, and I know some people on here have surgeons who don't require any special pre-op diet, but that's their prerogative -- they are not operating on me, MY surgeon IS, and HE requested the "liver shrinking diet" be done for 2 weeks prior to surgery. So I will do it! I want as safe a surgery as possible!

So..... what's done is done now. But your surgeon requested it, and you need to be honest with him ASAP that you haven't been doing it. Maybe he can suggest a 3 day solution that will work for him. But you need to give him the truth for him to properly advise you. It's not fair to him or you for him to start surgery and have a surprise. I'm certain you're not the first patient of his who has done it.

Good luck!

Kelly!

Have you been following me around and watching me! i am in the SAME EXACT BOAT AS YOU! first and foremost we are sleeve sisters! i go in on Friday as well and i too have cheated almost everyday!. The first few days were terrible! to compensate for my terrible eating i've been drinking a ton of Water and i mean liters upon liters. I told myself i wouldn't eat until the surgery so starting today i had everything Protein ( 2 shakes and 2 Protein bars( i know i probably shouldn't have eaten that but i NEEDED to chew something.. anything)) and it wasn't as bad today.

I finished the box of Protein Bars so for the next three days i will have 3- 4 Protein Shakes a day and will try to consume about 3.5liters of Water. I'm praying to God this helps because i'm going to Mexico for my surgery and i would hate to have to reschedule or they do do the surgery and it doesn't go as smoothly because of my stickin' mouth!

Kelly WE CAN DO THIS! i will be praying for and keeping you in my thoughts for Friday. Don't give up, it ain't over just yet!

I'm sorry you've been struggling. It's definitely an adjustment, the first few days were tough on me. I've managed to get through it without cheating so far - surgery is on Thursday - but I can totally relate to the struggle. I agree you should probably talk to your surgeon about it, the last thing you'd want is for him to get in there and realize he can't complete the surgery - all the incisions w/o the actual surgery being completed would be a bigger disappointment than your doctor putting off surgery for a week so you can get the diet together...

Good luck to you! Tomorrow is another day!

Thank you, Momonanomo. Though not what I want to hear your words are true. I did talk with the Dr. when I went in for my pre-op blood work last week. He considers me a "light weight" and said he isn't concerned about the liver being in the way or being too large. I'm just worried if I couldn't do it pre-op how much will I struggle post op?

Thank you, Momonanomo. Though not what I want to hear your words are true. I did talk with the Dr. when I went in for my pre-op blood work last week. He considers me a "light weight" and said he isn't concerned about the liver being in the way or being too large. I'm just worried if I couldn't do it pre-op how much will I struggle post op?

Post op is a whole other ball of wax, my dear. Even if you don't eat exactly what you're supposed to, you won't be able to eat AS MUCH of it, so it will still help you. Also, for many, the desire to eat is gone post op. I'm hoping that's true for me!!

OMG Tiffany! If I wasn't following you around before, I am now! When do you go to Mexico? I am thankful to be able to have this done without the travel.

Makemyownluck - thank you for the encouraging words. I'll keep you in my thoughts on Thursday.

Hello! My surgeon wasn't particuarly concerned with the pre op diet. As long as I wasn't binge eating he was ok with it. Nutrition gave me a diet for 2 weeks of 800-1000 calories a day, which was impossible for me ( I would easily pass out trying to do that ). The biggest concern is your liver. If it is too large they can cut it trying to get to your stomach. My doctor said he can get around it, but it's just going to hurt me more. I had a friend that ate at a endless meat brazilian grill the night before her surgery and still had her surgery the next day. So if anything, just try to cut down a little more every day. At least a little is better than nothing at all!

Kelly,

I leave for Mexico on Friday morning and i get my surgery done that afternoon. Where are you getting yours done?

In exactly the same boat as you. My surgeon said pre op diet was not necessary and I am same weight as you. I am really trying to do one though just to make his job easier. But, so far I have really been out of control.

I would follow ut now with no mistake. You don't eant to get there, have them open you up, then close you back up and not be able to do the procedure! The purpose of the diet is to shrink the liver so they can get to your stomach.

About handling a liquid diet post op- it depends on your surgeon. Mine requires 3-4 days liquid post op. That isn't bad at all. I didn't feel like eating until the 4th day. Now I am hungry often eating on the puree diet. I haven't cheated at all because the repercussions are too high- having food lodged at stomach opening or a stomach tear. No thanks. Plus, eating incorrectly is what landed me in this mess to begin with. Hang in there and be strong!

There is a liver cleansing tea that u can google, that may help u start shrinking your liver.