Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Incedible Shrinking Biker!

Hey guys,

I started a post when I first joined here, but I put it in the wrong forum, so I figured I would start a new one here..

A lil back story..

I am 36 years old (Male) from New Jersey. In HS I put on weight my senior year from about 185-190 to about 250, and then dropped back down to the high 100's for a few years. It crept up over time and I maintained at about 225-250 for most of my 20's. My 30's I ticked up to about 275ish and after getting married I got to my peak of 326.

So, that covers my weight struggles.. Now the reasons for the sleeve.. Well, I was what I would call a heavy eater.. I worked on the road so I usually skipped Breakfast and got moving on my client visits.. lunch would usually be a stop at some fast food type place.. If per say it was the Arches.. I would get a double QP large, and probably a 10 piece nugget.. If it was a sub shop I'd get a whole sub.. You get the idea.. big meals that where not healthy.. I'd get home, and make dinner usually filling my plate with 2 portions of everything.. Then snack on chips or something later.. Drinking Coke the entire time.. Or Snapple Peach Iced Tea.

So, last year I decided enough was enough.. I had tried diets here and there, but never really stuck with them.. Will power is not my strongest quality.. I spoke to some friends who had surgery (RNY) and decided to set up an appointment with Dr. Chau of NJ Bariatrics. I really liked him, and decided that I didn't need to look any further.. I had planned to meet many doctors, but felt confident enough that he was the man for the job.

My insurance (through my wifes job) required a visit to the shrink and 6 months with the NUT.. So, I did it.. Got off of Sugary drinks, tried to make sure I had some sort of breakfast every morning and tried to change my meal choices.. I did lose a few pounds, but as soon as my 6 months was up, I pretty much went back to old bad habits, and ballooned up to my peak.. Insurance approved the surgery and I had it on 3/20.

Pre op diet for me was shakes for breakfast and lunch, and then protien heavy dinner no carbs. I did cheat on 3 occasions.. once the first night.. I had a pb&j, then later in the week I had a sub for lunch, and finally 4 days before the surgery I had 1 hot dog.. Even with that, I still lost 12 pounds. The day of surgery came and I was sleeved!

After the surgery, I spent 1 night in the hospital, and had issues with being "Tachy" my heart rate would sit at about 100-160 and they loaded me up with all sorts of pain meds in addition to my magic button of highness. :oP

So, I will skip the details of what a bad patient I was.. you can see my blog for those.. Link is in my sig.

I got home and was in moderate pain. I had to walk holding my belly up because the incisions felt like they where pulling and had to sleep on my right side because the largest cut hurt too much when laying. The pain only lasted 2-3 days at a constant level, then dulled down enough that I didn't need pain meds anymore.

Since the surgery I've only had one minor event.. I had a shake one night for dinner and it didn't sit well. I got nauseous, but couldn't vomit.. Just sat over the bowl dry heaving.. It hasn't happened since and I hope it doesn't happen again. Also.. POOP! I wasn't expecting not to poop for a week.. That was strange.. but thankfully the ladies in chat are not shy about talking about poop and told me it was normal. :)

Since my surgery which I am 5 days shy of one month, I now weigh 280. I saw my sister for the first time today and she was shocked! That felt really nice. I am so happy that I did this, and I get so excited when I pass my mini goals. I'll make a list of my mini's at the bottom of this..

I hope to be able to share events with my weight loss and life with you all in this thread, and also on my blog. If you are on the fence about doing this, I hope this might have tipped you in the direction of making that big change.

Goals

Be under 300 DONE

Lose 25lbs post surgery DONE

Be the weight I was when my wife and I got married DONE

lose 50 pounds total

Be the weight I was when I met my wife

Loose 100lbs total

185 Long term goal

Oh yea.. and move from Morbidly obese to just obese then to overweight.. Those should be in there too. BMI charts are a work of the devil.. That's right.. I said it.. THE DEVIL!! :P

One month check up done!

2 pounds til I hit that big 5-0 down!

Doc says everything looks good, and was happy with my loss so far. He put me on some medication to help reduce chances Gal Stones. I forget the name. I am to start with one a day, and then move on to 2 a day starting next week and for the next 3 months.

He said some people have adverse reactions to it, so he is leaving it up to me to find the right dose, or no dose at all.. I will be filling it tomorrow.

The NUT seemed happy with my diet (I document using my fitness pal app) and I was cleared to move on to soft solids and gradually work my way onto solids next week.

I'm still not able to get more then 2 or so oz. of food down.. I hope that changes over time.. It's very hard to get enough Protein without being able to eat more.. I'm going to get some powders to try and boost it a bit.

Water seems to go down fine though. Tonight I have prepared a meat loaf with bakes mashed potato and sauteed mushrooms.. I got down about 1.5 oz of meatloaf and was done.. :( This who starch last makes me sad sometimes.. the potatoes looked soooo good. Oh well.. there will be time for that when I am at or past goal!

Wow, these things seem to come in pairs..

I hit a milestone goal of 50lbs down, and then hit my mini goal of 275! woohoo

Next up to to drop the morbidly part of obese which should come at about 270 according to the evil bmi chart.

Trying to be a good patient and NOT ride my motorcycle until may 1st which will be 6 weeks post surgery... I'm trying.. I did get the oil done and replaced the battery so she's all ready to go in 10 days 3 hours and 20 minutes :)

Tonight I had a buffalo burger patty with munster cheese and sauteed onions.. Ok, I had 3 bites of buffalo burger and was full.. My wife had the rest.

So, I am almost at 2 months out and I figured I would share my progress so far. I didn't realize just how much shrinking I have done :)

progress

Awesome....keep it up!!!! You are rocking that sleeve. I know you have to feel wonderful....and you should!!!!

Great progress! Thanks for sharing your story. Looking good.

This biker chick thinks you're doing great. Keep up the good work. Besides winter up here in New England I can't imagine not riding my Harley for 6 weeks. That is insane. I had abdominal surgery before (hysterectomy) and I was riding in 2 weeks. Although, I probably didn't mention to the doc's that I ride. Ignorance is bliss.

Best of luck, and continue your success at hitting those mini goals.

Another Milestone hit!!

70(.5) down 70(.5) to go!!!!

So excited to be moving on to the far end of that ticker!! :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. :D

Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Congrats Biker! Looking good! Will you still wear all black when you get skinny? :) I think I will.

I just read your entire Blog, good info there and enjoyable reading.

Thanks.. I don't always wear all black.. it just happens that most of my shirts are black because I outshrunk all my other clothes and most of the "promo" free shirts I get a rallies, and events are black. It is more slimming though! haha

Thanks for the great read on your adventure and progress. I am due to be sleeved on Monday the 19th so I am getting excited, nervous and everything else that goes with it. I love all of the comments and such from the lovely ladies here on the site, but it is nice to see a guys story occasionally. Something I might be able to relate to a little better I guess. I like the goals you set and marked off. I may have to steal that myself. Thanks for the updates and great job so far. Keep the updates coming.