Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started my pre-sleeve journey in October 2012 after noticing an old friend of mines posting different issues pertaining to her "new" diet on FB. I was very intriqued and inbox her to see what surgery she had. She mentioned the Sleeve and also stated she was down 30 lbs in about a Month! Im like great.. I want that surgery and I was going to do whatever I needed to get it since Hey 30 lbs in a month is awesome especially to a person who wanted to loose 90 lbs and Fast!

I contacted a doctor in my area to have a consultation. As far as my numbers are concerned I am 282 lbs 5'8. After learning My BMI was 41 I was definitely a canidate to have this surgery. I had struggled previously with yoyo diets, watching my social life deteriorate, insecurities, appetite suppressants, unused gym memberships.

Moving along I thought hey I qualify, my insurance would approve me and I would be on my way.. Not sooo fast! Aetna required I have a pulmonary clearance, psy eval and weight history from the past two years. Went in for my pulmonary clearance and the doctor ordered a sleep study test. Great I thought I have to now sleep away from my husband and our 1 year old daughter. Received the results back in 3 days! Positive for sleep apnea... couldn't believe it! Went in for another sleep study now I have this mask to sleep with at night.. Boy oh Boy.. Again anything to lose this weight I thought. Meant with a psychiatrist also required by my insurance.. all the info was submitted to my insurance and within a few days I was approved.. I was thrilled.. Surgery set for March 18th.

I go to the hospital on March 14th for my presurgical tests which included an EKG, ECHO and routine blood work. A breeze this would be I thought. Results get sent to my doctor on March 15th that the hospital has denied my surgery and I now needed cardiac clearance! Surprise! My ECHO showed signs of artery coronary disease and myocardial infarction! What? Could not believe it.. 28 years old and diagnosed with having had a heart attack!!!

This was the turning point... This surgery was no longer about getting a few pounds off to feel sexy again but to SAVE my LIFE. I have been on an emotional rollercoaster since the ECHO results. Finally after a stress test and another ECHO I was cleared for surgery.

I had lurked on this forum many months before actually writing My Story.. I wanted to be honest in case someone else out there felt guilty bc I did. This Sleeve has brought a new sense of hope and the ability to actually be able to live longer and enjoy doing it. I guess the moral of the story is that for one reason on another we were all brought to this decision. For me mines at first was just to loose weight and feel skinny but now it has possibly saved my life.

SW 281

SURGERY W 284

CW Don't have a Clue... First weigh in Tuesday

5 Days Post Op

Wow!! That's quite a story. Thank goodness you have taken the steps to save your own life, for your own sake, and that of your family. I wish you well on your journey to health.

That's great news - am happy for you! Thanks for sharing your story.

Good for you for taking charge of your health!! Best of luck to you!

Your story brought years to my eyes! My surgery date is Friday and I've been having last minute jitters about if I really am doing the right thing. Now I know I am!

Taylokat

I am happy if my story touch at least one person. I am not a vet but here for support if anyone ever needs it as I have relied on so many people and read through so many thread on this site to get me by.

Sleeved on April 1 ;)

Great story, thanks for sharing. You must feel so lucky to have found all those health issues you didn't know you had....and now the opportunity to resolve them!

Thanks for sharing and good luck to you!

MichiganChic

I am so very grateful for GOD to have sent me this message. I was on my way to being a very sick person had I allowed myself to continue the route I was heading. Age does not equal good health ;)