Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bougie Size and Restriction

Ok, I understand that in the long run the bougie size between 32 to 40 are minimal. I believe I read that it is about an ounce difference overall. Well I've read about quite a few people that have restriction early on and I wonder if it has to do with the bougie size. With the swelling of our tiny tummies, I think bougie size in the first couple of weeks/months can make a big difference.

If you know what bougie size your doctor used, could you let us know and if you have problems with getting in fluids and for how long before you're able to get in all fluids? I hope we can gather enough data to show how much bougie size affects restriction immediately after surgery until 4-6 months out so that new sleevers can have an idea of what bougie size to discuss with their doctor.

My doctor used a 38 bougie and I had no problems with fluids starting day 3, my first full day at home.

My doc used a 36 boogie on me. I generally get all my liquids in (it literally takes ALL day), but I'm not getting nearly enough Protein.< /p>

My DR used a 32 Im 19 days out and can drink Fluid just like pre-op. Im on purees. Tonite I had 2 or 3 bites of pureed cauliflower and BAM full. Feels like I ate an entire pizza.< /p>

Mine used 34 and oversew. I have no issues at all drinking.. I'm drinking just like I did pre-op. I'm 11 days post op.

My doctor used the scope not a bougie so not sure what size that is my restriction is good

My Doctor used a 40f and I had no problems getting in my liquid but he had me work up to 64 ounces, he didn't require it upfront. I'm almost 10 months out, still have decent restriction and still measure all my food so I don't eat more than 3 ounces of meet and then usually some spinach if I have room. Only a few pounds from goal too!

My surgery is scheduled for Thursday and my surgeon told me he will use a 40 on me. Says its really surgeons preference but he's found that there are less problems when the bigger one is used and the weight loss is the same.

My surgery is scheduled for Thursday and my surgeon told me he will use a 40 on me. Says its really surgeons preference but he's found that there are less problems when the bigger one is used and the weight loss is the same.

My Dr. Used a 36 and made it snug. It is not too tight but I have to work at the Fluid intake. Sometimes I wish it were tighter. I can eat a whole pack of oatmeal but am very satisfied. The first few times I seemed full on 1/2. But I am full on 2/3. Have to wrap my head around it. Still learning. When I overheat I hit the wall without a lot of warning and then feel miserable!

My doc used a 34. Sometimes I feel like I don't have enough restriction. I can eat and drink normally. I am also almost 6 months out. I also think I under eat my sleeve another reason I may never feel the tightness. I am scared of barfing... I must admit I am tired of chicken and get full on about 3oz.

My surgeon used a size 36 bougie. I was getting in my Proteins via shakes but initially had an issue getting in fluids. I am now on three meals daily and have recently been able to get in my 64 ounces of Water a day. Previously, I was only getting maybe 30 ounces of fluids in total. I sometimes have trouble getting food down, so getting full proteins from food only has been a challenge.

My dr used a 32 bougie. I can get all liquids in just not big gulps. I usually eat 3-4 bites of food at a time