Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NorCal Kaiser 2 week Pre-Op diet?

They said I had to be on a low 800 calorie high Protein diet before surgery. They said it could be solid or liquid. I started the diet on Monday 3/11 and I've only been drinking Protein Shakes for 4 days. Now I'm getting headaches from not eating. Any one else on this diet ? Does anyone know if it would be safe or okay to replace one of the shake meals for like fish or something else high in protein/ low In cals as long as it adds up to be under 800?

Im not on that diet but it sounds like you need to eat something! chicken or fish should be good. You can also google low calorie meals (they exist!). Did your doctor or nutrionist give you literature for your pre op diet on what to eat? My nut says brkfast snack lunch snack dinner, to keep your energy up and not getting sick. Maybe you should give them a call for more specific instructions. I hope everything works well for you! Good luck

I know they are all so different. I have looked through my packet and the one I do is 10days and you drink three Protein Shakes a day and have two small high Protein, low carb meals. It comes out to around 1000 calories. There is a list of approved snacks; SF Jello, SF Popsicle... Anyway the nutritionist told me if I needed to touch the Snacks that I had to call her first. Are you set up with a nutritionist? I am sure that it would be fine to replace a Protein Shake with a low carb, high protein meal but you may just want to call and ask.

Im on day 2 of a 14 day pre-op. 70 g Protein and 900 cal a day. I have as many Meal Replacement shakes a day to achieve that. They told me to make sure they were Meal Replacements and not just Protein Shakes. I've had a splitting headache the last 2 evenings. Im only allowed the shakes and sf Jello, and some broth. But i was told to keep my calories at 900. Its nooooo fun!

It seems as though everyone is given different instructions according to which surgeon you may have. I was instructed for 14 days to have 2 Protein Shakes replacing 2 meals, 1 can of Soup of my choice (no cream soups) and low sodium, and 1-2 Snacks such as sugar free Jello, pudding or popsicles, and all sugar free drinks for 12 days and then the last two days a straight liquid diet of broth, jello, popsicles and any sugar free drinks. I've been on it for 3 days and so far so good. But you should definitely call the nutritionist

Which Kaiser Nor Cal are you going to? I'm going to SSF but haven't heard of having to do a 14 day diet like that...

Which Kaiser Nor Cal are you going to? I'm going to SSF but haven't heard of having to do a 14 day diet like that...

I agree I'm with Kaiser Fremont and I haven't heard of the 2wk preop diet either. My surgery is April 9th and preop appt Thurs 3/21.

Sent from my DROID using VST

remember to get in at least 8 cups of fluids. I think it will help with the headaches. I'm in VA and have Kaiser insurance. The surgeon is affiliated with Kaiser but not a Kaiser doctor. I only had one week od high Protein and clear liquid diet....good luck with yours