Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HR blabbed to my supervisor!

When I talked to my supervisor about needing time off to recover from a surgical procedure, she didn't seem curious or surprised at all. Now I know why. During my performance review today, she told me that HR had called her months ago and asked her to tell me that the weight loss surgery I was interested in and had emailed them about was not covered, and that they couldn't add it to the policy (I have since moved over to my husband's insurance). When she said she didn't know of any surgery I was planning, they started to explain it to her, then quickly stopped, backed out of the conversation, said nevermind, and then emailed me back to tell me that it wasn't covered.

Not only am I embarrassed that she knows, and knew for months, but it reflected poorly in my review! She said she felt I was going behind her back and wondered what else I was hiding. She said the weight loss surgery was a personal matter and I didn't have to tell her the details, but she would have appreciated it if I had let her know that I was emailing HR "with an insurance question", so that SHE wouldn't have been so surprised when they called her.

WTF. :angry:

Wow, that's really uprofessional--of your supervisor, HR, and the insurance company. So sorry you are going through this. What you are doing for yourself and your health will hopefully all make it worth it in the end!!

Oh, that is sooo many violations! You can totally appeal her evaluation! & I would file a complaint with HR!

If you wanted to get serious, you could probably sue. Violation of privacy laws, big time. I would at the very least put in a complaint. And by the way, your boss is a tool.

-Kendra

When I talked to my supervisor about needing time off to recover from a surgical procedure' date=' she didn't seem curious or surprised at all. Now I know why. During my performance review today, she told me that HR had called her months ago and asked her to tell me that the weight loss surgery I was interested in and had emailed them about was not covered, and that they couldn't add it to the policy (I have since moved over to my husband's insurance). When she said she didn't know of any surgery I was planning, they started to explain it to her, then quickly stopped, backed out of the conversation, said nevermind, and then emailed me back to tell me that it wasn't covered.

Not only am I embarrassed that she knows, and knew for months, but it reflected poorly in my review! She said she felt I was going behind her back and wondered what else I was hiding. She said the weight loss surgery was a personal matter and I didn't have to tell her the details, but she would have appreciated it if I had let her know that I was emailing HR "with an insurance question", so that SHE wouldn't have been so surprised when they called her.

WTF. :angry:[/quote']

I would be asking to meet with the H R manager ASAP. The H R rep violated your HIPAA rights...and could be terminated! Your manager was completely out of line with her comments and for letting it affect your review. She deserves a reprimand or more too! You may even wanna speak to a lawyer. I would.

I would be asking to meet with the H R manager ASAP. The H R rep violated your HIPAA rights...and could be terminated! Your manager was completely out of line with her comments and for letting it affect your review. She deserves a reprimand or more too! You may even wanna speak to a lawyer. I would.

I would definitely complain, too, but HIPAA doesn't cover health information privacy at work. It extends only to healthcare providers keeping the information private. (I just learned that recently.) But it definitely is an awful situation and maybe there's something in your employee handbook that covers it. Or just plain professionalism and human decency.

Yeah she could sue if:

(1) she can find an attorney to take it.

(2) has a backup job asap bc that would pretty much be the end of that one.

(3) feels like waiting 4-5 years while it gets drug out in court.

Quite unprofessional on so many levels. HR should maintain confidentiality at all times. Why should they have contacted your supervisor for any reason? Good luck...

I had a similar thing happen in my organization - I told my boss and not HR, yet the VP of HR said "heard you that surgery". I was astounded. The next day she sent me an email to apologize, but I'm still mad. That's why they call it PHI (protected health information)!!

At his point it is what it is and now you have a choice to make. Do you add additional stress to your plate by being angry and fighting or do you move forward to a more wonderful healthy lifestyle. You did this for them and no one else and there is really nothing your supervisor can do to you. I'm so proud of you taking this step for a healthier new life style...... CONGRATS! :)

Wow...I cant believe what you and michiganchic are going through! My husband is in management and I read this to him and he said he would lose his job if he was your boss! They have multiple trainings a year on this issue and when someone takes a medical leave or fmla, the ONLY thing HR tells the manager is yo remember that they cannot under any circumstances ask the employee anything about their condition or ask HR about the employee's condition...because its none of the manager's business!

I would absolutely file a complaint with HR.

Now that I've slept on it, I'm still super upset! Our HR department is not on-site. Who should I go to? An email to my boss' boss? I don't know where to file a complaint, but that seems like it would be a good start. I'm angry for you, too, MichiganChic! This is ridiculous!

Now that I've slept on it' date=' I'm still super upset! Our HR department is not on-site. Who should I go to? An email to my boss' boss? I don't know where to file a complaint, but that seems like it would be a good start. I'm angry for you, too, MichiganChic! This is ridiculous![/quote']

You should be upset. That in no way should be able to impact your review. I would file a formal complaint. I think I'd be more angry with my manager than HR.

Amanda Rae

This is certainly a violation of privacy "Laws" and it sounds as though your manager has descriminated against you based on a health condition... If it were me I would persue to rectify this issue especially the possibility of the review being biased. The next level of HR management would be my target and I would start by saying that the conversation is confidential maybe even bring a witness in with you that you trust during the conversation.

That said going forward it would be best to deal with the insurance company directly and not through your Co. HR dept. they will be able to give you much better information than anything second hand and will keep those conversations confidential. As for taking time away from work if you didn't have benefits for the time off you would be eligible through family leave federal or state possibly both of which you do not have to communicate what the health condition is, but may be required to have your Dr. fill out some forms. I am and have been a manager for a big Corp. for the last 25 years, Good luck here!

Now that I've slept on it' date=' I'm still super upset! Our HR department is not on-site. Who should I go to? An email to my boss' boss? I don't know where to file a complaint, but that seems like it would be a good start. I'm angry for you, too, MichiganChic! This is ridiculous![/quote']

The best way to do it, IMO, would be to tell your supervisor that you are going to appeal your review, because part of her evaluation was based on information that was protected. If you tell her in person, make sure you send an email, too so you have a trail. Then write an email to your boss' supervisor. I would copy HR and your supervisor. This way they can't say you are hiding anything.