Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't know what to do...

I have a nutritionist appointment on Friday, February 15. It is my third of six appointments with the nutritionist and I still haven't lost anything. Not even a pound. I am having trouble with two of the things I need to do, exercising 3 times a week and only eating 1/2 cup of rice, bread, potatoes, etc. a day...

I don't want to disappoint my nutritionist...

And I have to lose 12 lbs by the end of the 6 months of supervised diet... I'm so afraid that I won't be able to have the surgery...

Anyone have tips, tricks, or advice? Anything and everything will be greatly appreciated! I don't know what to do...

Girl...you are sabotaging yourself! If you are truly afraid this will prevent you from being approved you need to get it in gear! Set yourself an appt on MWF to walk for 30 mins. And get your measuring cup out for those white food items! If you have to throw them all away TONIGHT!

Insurance companies are looking for compliance. So be compliant. Don't give them this reason to deny you! You've got 3 months left and can easily lose 12 lbs. You can do it!

The only way I was able to lose weight pre-op was to go low carb. I ate less than 20 grams of carbs a day and lost 10 lbs the week before surgery.

I was drinking the EAS carb control dutch chocolate shakes twice a day and eating only Protein (grilled pork loin) for supper.

The bad side of going low carb is that if you cheat, you body will hang on to every one of those carbs and you will gain weight back.

Ditch the white potatoes, white rice and bread. Instead do sweet potato, brown rice...and just skip the bread and Pasta. What you do now will help you immensely once you are sleeved so if you start now you will see the scale move....low carb is the way to go!

I agree, drop the carbs. It will be very difficult to lose weight eating carbs. Why not start a Protein based diet now, since that's what you will have to do after surgery?

Before my surgery, I made a choice to drop three things that were bad for me, and it helped kick start my weight loss. I gave up soda, chips/fries/potatoes, and rice. Maybe start there? Whatever you decide, I wish you luck. You are not alone.

I lost more then 30 pounds prior to surgery without very much exercise. This is what I did.

1) replaced my Breakfast with a Meal Replacement shake ( I used high Protein slim fast)

2) two hours after each shake I would have a 100 calorie or less snack.

3) dinner could be anything I wanted as long as it was under 500 calories.

4) one last 100 calorie snack after dinner

5) made sure I didn't eat anything after 7 pm.

6) I drank lots of Water, or crystal light, or tea sweetened with Splenda.

That's it. I managed to lose all this weight from the end of may till my pre op apt in the beginning of August. You can do it! Don't get discouraged! Good luck and keep smiling! :)

I've been using my fitness pal to track my nutrition and exercise... I'm trying very hard to control my carbs...but 21 years of a carb eating habit is hard to change...

I have been drinking a premier Protein drink (30g Protein, 169 cal, 3 carb for Breakfast since my first appointment in December. And my Snacks are usually a string cheese or a yogurt. I have also given up sodas and drink all Water or 1%milk.

I do good the first half of the day... It's lunch and diner that's hard.. But I KNOW that I NEED to do this.

Thank you everyone for the kick in the butt that I needed!

Im sorry i dont mean to sound to blunt but you have to want this bad enough. Its a life style change not a quick fit for being fat. If your not motivated now it wont change after surgery . ya youll lose weight only cause your body is forced to but you can do better than what you doing. food is no longer your best friend and you cant treat it like it is. Atleast not the carbs. What are you gunna do when you have to do the all liquid diet? ? This is your own doing and if you want it bad enough if your tierd of seeing yourself in the mirror and hating what you see than do something about it and start with TELLING YOUR GUT TO SHUT THE HELL UP! YOU NEED TO HAVE STRENGTH throw the **** away and GET IT TOGETHER

I have a nutritionist appointment on Friday' date=' February 15. It is my third of six appointments with the nutritionist and I still haven't lost anything. Not even a pound. I am having trouble with two of the things I need to do, exercising 3 times a week and only eating 1/2 cup of rice, bread, potatoes, etc. a day...

I don't want to disappoint my nutritionist...

And I have to lose 12 lbs by the end of the 6 months of supervised diet... I'm so afraid that I won't be able to have the surgery...

Anyone have tips, tricks, or advice? Anything and everything will be greatly appreciated! I don't know what to do...[/quote']

I could not control my carb addiction either if trying to limit, so cut them out all together! No fruit, no grain, no sugar, no soda and no starchy or high glycemic veggies. Believe me, i went wild on Protein like meat, fish, cheese, and yogurt and veggies like broccoli, green Beans, etc... I mean really huge amounts out of fear of thinking i would get hungry and eat a carb and head down that road again! But for me, it was better to eat lots of the right thing rather than a bite of the wrong. Clear your house out and dont go where it is being served if you cannot limit yourself. This also helped me have an easier time at surgery time and now post op. i had no food funerals even! I had worked so hard i did not want to screw it up! Bottom line here.... Do whatever you have to do for these few months so you can reap the years of rewards ahead. You ARE strong enough!

Have you ever done Atkins before? It might help you to go cold turkey on the carve and do something Atkins-like. I didn't think I could do it..the first 2-3 days were hard but I was amazed when the addiction was broken and I just didn't crave them anymore! You can absolutely do it...for some of us there just isn't a halfway or just a little carbs. I couldn't do 1/2c of carbs a day bc its a slippery slope for me. So you might just go cold turkey.

When you start eating them again it will also surprise you how crumny the white carbs make you feel. When I ear them they make my stomach hurt and make me really tired and sluggish.

Before getting approved, I used my fitness pal to track calories to about 1200-1300 a day. Over time I lost about 14 lbs. I also walked. I loosely followed the Body 4 Life plan that uses Portion Control of a lean Protein the size of the palm of your hand, carb/starch the size of your fist, and veggies the size/ length of your open hand. With my plan, I had one free day (usually Saturday) to eat whatever I wanted (usually cheetos!) when on plan to feel full at dinner, I always added a second veggie and/ or salad. I ate a protien bar or shake for breakfast and again for a snack. I am on my pre-op diet now and don't think I could have done Atkins or any other extremely low-carb diet- cause this is killing me! Lol. Plus my nutritionist is all about a balanced diet with all food groups included. Good luck you can do it!