Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ibuprofen Alternatives?

My surgeon told me that after bariatric surgery Ibuprofen is too harsh on the stomach to take. I get terrible cramps in the arches of my feet when I do cardio (running, elliptical), and before surgery Ibuprofen knocked it right out. Now I'm having a hard time keeping up with my exercise regimen because the tylenol I'm taking as a pain reliever doesn't even come close to touching the pain. Does anyone know of an alternative OTC painkiller that is gentle enough for a sleeved stomach, but effective in relieving muscle pain? My flat feet and I are DYING here!

Tylenol (which does nothing) and things like vicoden. No aspirin, NSAIDs, ibuprofen etc...

This upsets me too, I don't know what I'm gonna take when I hurt!

Id love to hear thoughts on this too. I used to rely on Advil for pain, headaches and knee pain. Now I'm told its off limits. What's a good alternative?

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was never told not to take ibuprofen. I've taken it a couple times since surgery. I'm curious now...

I was told no nsaids for life for risk of ulcers. Tylenol never worked for me either. Thankfully, I haven't needed pain reliever as much since losing some weight. There is a prescription that is basically Tylenol on steroids, lol. If your doc will write some Ultram, which he/she should, it is stronger than tylenol and may help.

NSAIDs are a huge cause of gastric ulcers/bleeding even in non-sleeved patients.....smaller stomach surface area we have now, the greater the risk. More so with bypass patients. Acetaminophen is really our only option for OTC pain control. Hopefully the cramping in your feet will subside a bit as you lose more weight....silver lining ;)

there is a product that is prescription only its called volterin gel(SP?) it is a powerful NSAID that you apply to the area that hurts. It may help But you should ask you surgen if it is still safe to use it. I have used it for knee pain with success

I asked my doc and he said Advil was ok to take.

there is a product that is prescription only its called volterin gel(SP?) it is a powerful NSAID that you apply to the area that hurts. It may help But you should ask you surgen if it is still safe to use it. I have used it for knee pain with success

Voltarin is extremely expensive here and should be used carefully. They sell it over the counter in Costa Rica and I told my OBGYN that I used it for cramps and she flipped. It's amazing stuff, but it should be through Rx only and used sparingly.

My surgeon told me that after bariatric surgery Ibuprofen is too harsh on the stomach to take. I get terrible cramps in the arches of my feet when I do cardio (running, elliptical), and before surgery Ibuprofen knocked it right out. Now I'm having a hard time keeping up with my exercise regimen because the tylenol I'm taking as a pain reliever doesn't even come close to touching the pain. Does anyone know of an alternative OTC painkiller that is gentle enough for a sleeved stomach, but effective in relieving muscle pain? My flat feet and I are DYING here!

There is a gel NSAID called Voltaren....you rub it in the area that hurts. Officially it is for joints -- but I was desperate last week because I was in excruciating pain ( low low back/buttock). My brother has a prescription for Voltaren and he gave me his tube. Well, let me tell you, within 30 minutes my pain was so much better.

It does still have GI risks but I'm assuming not to the degree as taking it orally. I plan on discussing with my doc and getting an Rx for it ( if it is safe).

Without delving deep into the patho/pharm of NSAIDs.....the biggest worry is the local effect oral NSAIDs have on inhibiting enzymes necessary to protect your stomach lining....thus causing an ulcer/bleed. There is also a systemic or "body-wide" effect inhibiting these enzymes with topical NSAIDs...but the risk for ulcer/bleeding is much lower.

Also remember, OTC and prescription NSAIDs are different animals regarding strength and methods of action....always discuss with your provider and make an informed decision. Not trying to scare anyone....just inform ;)

Honestly Ibuprofen is my BFF! I can't live without it during my period!!!! I even ended up taking 600 mg of ibuprofen 3 days post op bc no narcotic could help with the pain I was experiencing. My surgeon gave me 3 diff kinds of pain killers and it helped for 45 min only. So I told him I can't take it anymore and took ibuprofen! He said ok but be careful. I was pain free in a matter of 20 min! Saved me! And I 7 months post op and still take it 3 times a days with food for cramps and headaches. :)