Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dont be a tough guy - take your meds

I notice sometimes people almost bragging about how they didnt need their pain medication and this and that and I just wanted to say something about that - if you truely are not in pain thats fantastic, but to the rest of you out there - TAKE THEM.

It helps you sleep better, and the better rest you get, the better you feel and the healing process is better for it. I am not in excruciating pain but it does help.

Amen!! Everyone is different and the first few days are so critical after any major operation! Stay AHEAD of the pain... Rest and give your body time to heal!

I had this same argument with my nurse in the hospital and then again with my nurse at my 1 week follow up.

I have never taken meds for pain. Advil for a headache, no. I barely take pills as it is.

Was a tough situation to be in having the nurses encourage you to hit your morphine and my family having taught me that it's bad to dump chemicals into your body.

Only time I took meds was in the hospital and it was simply to put me to sleep.

Post op, I was in some pain, but although the nurse stressed that I should take the lortab, I still have the sealed bottle in my cabinet.

It won't kill you to not take it, and likewise it won't kill you to take it.

Personal preference is all

I had a dilaudid pump in the hospital but I stopped using it the last 12hrs I was there. They sent me home with a whole bottle of dilaudid pills but I didn't touch them once. I was lucky and didn't need them.

I had this same argument with my nurse in the hospital and then again with my nurse at my 1 week follow up.

I have never taken meds for pain. Advil for a headache, no. I barely take pills as it is.

Was a tough situation to be in having the nurses encourage you to hit your morphine and my family having taught me that it's bad to dump chemicals into your body.

Only time I took meds was in the hospital and it was simply to put me to sleep.

Post op, I was in some pain, but although the nurse stressed that I should take the lortab, I still have the sealed bottle in my cabinet.

It won't kill you to not take it, and likewise it won't kill you to take it.

Personal preference is all

Yep, if someone would rather be in pain I suppose thats ok, but morphine as a half like of 120 minutes, thats it, and lortab is a little less than 4 hours. If you are truly not in pain thats a different story but you do need to rest, and the medication helps.

I was really surprised when I first came on this site and saw the pain medication that people were offered or given in the hospital. Before anyone attacks me, I am not trying to brag but when I had my surgery I really wasn't offered strong painkillers, and I certainly wasn't hooked up to morphine. I had pain on the day after surgery but expected that and the next day I went home feeling fine.

I was really surprised when I first came on this site and saw the pain medication that people were offered or given in the hospital. Before anyone attacks me, I am not trying to brag but when I had my surgery I really wasn't offered strong painkillers, and I certainly wasn't hooked up to morphine. I had pain on the day after surgery but expected that and the next day I went home feeling fine.

Thats ok! I hope no one attacks you on my thread, if they do I have something to say about that. If you didn't need your meds I totally get that, everyone has a different idea of what they can tolerate. I have just been on this site for maybe a few weeks now and I notice people freshly post op who don't want to take their meds but yet, are extremely uncomfortable

I always thought I tolerated pain well, but I needed my pain meds after this surgery. I was begging them post op for something stronger and I could hardly open my eyes. I took almost all the T3 they sent home with me too. I needed it.

I always thought I tolerated pain well, but I needed my pain meds after this surgery. I was begging them post op for something stronger and I could hardly open my eyes. I took almost all the T3 they sent home with me too. I needed it.

Yes, I don't consider myself to be wimpy but in the recovery room I was bawling until they gave me something better. The pain in my shoulders was excruciating.

I asked my surgeon if I had fallen off the operating table while in theatre. I didn't realize the shoulder pain came from the gas.

I was given pain meds every 4 hours in the hospital. Eventually I said 'do I really need all that? I'm not in pain'. They stopped giving it to me. They sent me home with a package of pills and I took one just to help me sleep. I slept for a whole day the day I got home from the hospital and felt much better.

Listen, if you need them, take them. There's no harm in it. The likelihood that you become addicted is slim. A few days of meds will make you feel so much better and you'll heal quicker.

I asked my surgeon if I had fallen off the operating table while in theatre. I didn't realize the shoulder pain came from the gas.

last time I had abdominal surgery my shoulders killed too. It's horrible.

I need some advice please. I was sleeved at the end of July and with a stroke of bad luck at the end of October I broke 3 bones in my ankle... I had open reduction surgery to put hardware in my ankle and was on strong painkillers for 2 months. The ortho surgeon moved me to Tylenol 3 for 2 more months. I saw him the other day and he said quit taking T3 and start taking advil for pain. I explained to him I'd had WLS and I was sleeved and have concerns about taking Nsaids. He said it was o.k. My problem is this, although it is working ok for the pain, it's giving me a bad stomach ache. I've read here to stay away from advil due to possibility of ulcers. What should I do? What do ya'll suggest?

Maybe email your PCP or your surgeon? Ask about alternatives to Advil for pain.

You should be okay to take basic OTC pain relief Tylenol.

I was sleeved on a Friday morning and my last dose of pain medication was the Saturday morning at 10am. I was given meds to take home but honestly I didn't even need them. I was in mild discomfort but walking fixed that. I guess I will consider myself "lucky" :)