Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days post op and feeling weak and tired, is this normal?

Hi Everyone,

I had surgery on the 9th and im just not feeling very energetic. I lost 22 lbs my first week and at my appt had some blood work and everything looks great. I feel like i am letting myself down not exercising. When I go for the mail I have a semi long driveway and make two laps up and down and im exhausted. I do see improvement a lit bit each day but im not sure if this is normal or im not trying hard enough?????

Thanks for any input you can give.

It can take a little while for your body to get used to the decrease in calories. Don't worry because your body will get used to it and then you will be able to exercise. No reason to push it though. It's not a race. When you feel up to it you will start your exercise program.

Make sure you are getting plenty of Water and plenty of Protein

I felt the same way until the third week. I figured out I needed to eat small portions every two hours in order to feel my best. I make sure I get allot of Protein too. it makes the difference. I was eating maybe 1/3 cup of food three times per day, though I was feeling full on that it wasnt enough. what I I was feeling was restriction which I was mistaking for the feeling being full. its all about learning your new stomach. :) now if I keep on top of eating something every two hours, I can do anything. work out, do my house chores, go for a day of shopping, etc. to keep it easy i always pack ensure for emergencies, fruit, and Protein Bars. it makes it easier when Im out for the day. Dont worry it will get better as you relearn your stomach! :) good luck and congrats on your weight loss!

I had the same experience this seems to be normal. But remember to hydrate, hydrate,hydrate. Make sure your getting all of your Vitamins in especially the B12. I am 3 weeks out and I thought something was wrong with me but as I kept pushing

eventually I was ok. I had to remember your body heals with rest so if your tired

then sleep/rest. It gets better, I still have some days where I get exhausted and

on those days I just relax and take it easy. Good Luck:)

Thank you all for the great advice. I am gonna try to get more Water and try eating on more of a schedule. I know this probably sounds crazy but im kind of afraid to eat because i don't want to stop losing. I'm still on a full liquid diet and haven't quite figured the whole eating thing out yet. I guess part of me is so used to failure with dieting and I just want so badly to succeed this time that im probably being to hard on myself.

Yes, I have the same feeling, but remember your stomach is smaller so your going to lose weight anyways. Some days I could go without eating simply because I didn't feel like it. But I make sure I keep my liquids in to keep from dehydrating myself. I still havent figured out the eating thing either(lol) this week I started doing smoothies with juice instead of milk, milk makes me feel icky. I'm on the full liquids until my 5th week. Your doing good with the

weightloss so far and you will continue to good. Just stay healthy and take it one day at a time.

I had my surgery the 9th too and I have only lost 8lbs I think you are doing really well! I am tired too. I am finally able to get my Protein in but I am still not getting enough liquids. I have 3 more weeks until I can even think about eating real food. I think slow but sure it the way to go, everyday I do feel better!

This is totally normal. Can have good days and bad days for a while. Get your water/fluids, and Protein in...