Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have any of you had hunger so soon after post op period. I was hoping that due to "Ghrelin hormone" being reduced because a large portion of my stomach had now being taken away;which Dr's think is a benefit of the sleeve surgery. I fill like it is hunger but will drink some Water and Protein Drink and feel full but the hunger feeling is still there. I saw on a couple other threads people stated it could be acid indegestion or reflux. I am on Prilosec but maybe need another dose? I have also seen people refer to head hunger.

How are you differentiating head hunger vs real hunger?

How do you deal with your family eating regular food around you and they are many of the foods you favored before? The smells create cravings that thankfully can't be quenched!

It is obvious that the psychological part of this journey is an important and aspect to really focus and meditate on.

Thank you all:)

Head hunger will feel just like real hunger, I dont kn how far post op you are but it will go away I am 10 days and dont feel hungery at all

I feel the same way. Am I really hungry? Do I have reflux (I don't think I do)? Am I head hungry? I do need work getting my Protein in but I have a gnawing feeling in my tummy. I'm a week out tomorrow.

Make sure that it's not: head hunger, acid, or gas. I learned the hard way that esophageal spasms feel just like OMG STARVING hunger. My surgeon actually recommended Zegerid over Prilosec because Zegerid has sodium bicarbonate that helps with absorption.

Thank you all:)

I am Post-Op day 5. I will ask my surgeon about this medication it's impact.

I sometime feel it may be gas but never imagined gas feeling like hunger. I also thought of spasms but would never imagine that either.

I'm 2 wks post op & feel hungry all the time too! Glad you posted, thought it was just me! I KNOW I'm full, have just eaten....but then feel that hunger pain again?? :-/

Just from my experience at 14 weeks I'll tell you that I was before, but am now never hungry. I have had a few times that I could have eaten the paint off of the walls. Now eating is a challenge. I don't care if I don't. That is still a problem but so much better than my previous reality

"TakingControl" - You are welcome and yes it is good to know "it's not just you"!

Everyone I really didn't know how much you have to mentally adjust to the affects of the physiologic( your digestive system) change you go through. I know we all had to have psych evaluations and I can see why even more now but those evaluations or sessions should really incorporate some of these familiar feelings and psychophysiologic( mental and physical) feelings we all have. I think of smokers trying smoking cessation ( stop smoking program) or alcoholics attending AA ( Alcoholic Anonymous). I would think that those who have any addiction, once they stop or withdraw from the source of their addiction have to physically and mentally adjust to loss of that dependence. Same for us, I suppose. Physically and mentally but the physical part is amped up due to a real anatomic change so our bodies are rewiring some circuitry.

Pat yourselves on your backs because it takes real strength to accept and take on the challenge that we all have chose to take!!!!!Godspeed Sleevers!!!

Yes i have a feeling of hunger since my surgery. I was sleeved Dec 28 and on the 6th day i felt like i was starving!!!! My stomach was making loud growling noises, churning, and i thought what the heck what is going on? I am on a clear liquid diet for 3 weeks and yes its hard but im surrounded by my family that eats as normal and i know i made the decision to become healthy but all the while im praying this too shall pass. I look at food in the pantry and fridge but i dont have a desire to eat it..... Im so proud of myself because i know there will be hell to pay if i dont stay true to this liquid-diet.... Alot of sleevers says it will get easier and i believe it will but the initial stages of such a major surgery such as this surely is difficult to deal with but others have and so will I.... All i can say is try to focus on something besides food and stick to the plan the best is yet to come!!! Blessings

TD

Thanks TD

I agree with you totally! We do have to "keep our eyes on the prize"! Keep up the good work too:)