Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating out while still on post op diet?

Hey everyone!!!! My name is Liz and I'm 7 days post op. Today was weird because i went out to eat for the first time since surgery and felt like I was in a new world. Still on full liquids so not many options out there. Went to a place called Zoup and had trouble because a lot of the Soups they have still have solids in them. Could only stomach an 8oz cup (which is pushing it) . I remember the days when I had a bowl of Soup, sandwich, bread, and a brownie along with a soda. OMG how it all has changed. Anyone out there with a similar experience???

Same exact experience for me! My parent's took the family out when I was 7-10 days post-op and I didn't want to miss the gathering. I had the broth of my chicken noodle Soup (less than a cup). Wow, was I full or what. Then I smiled and laughed because before the sleeve, I would have ate a bowl of the tortilla soup, dinner entree and drank at least 3 cups of Pepsi. Never felt so good leaving a restaurant :)

I ate out very little immediately post op but I do recall the experiences I had when I first ventured out there. Even now it's sometimes frustrating to eat out because I still eat so little. Every now and again I'll order my own entree and be amazed when I see that I still can't eat even half of the food they serve to people in restaurants.

Keep as closely as you can to your doctor's nutritional plan. I had Soup shortly after and simply asked them to give me as much broth as possible while avoiding everything else. They thought I was nuts but I enjoyed my "treat" very much, because I'd been eating the same old liquid meals for weeks at that point!

These days I've learned to share. Even my husband, who has never had a weight problem, is now disgusted by the massive portions they serve in restaurants. As a family of four we'll typically share a salad or appetizer and order two Entrees instead of ordering appetizers, Entrees and possibly dessert for everyone.

~Cheri

The only place I've successfully ate a out was Panera bread. Cheddar broccoli soup-on liquid phase through solids, it was fine. Only about 1/4 cup, if that, of course! If I get 1/2 sandwich, it's usually a Cuban and I take one bite's worth and my husband finishes it, but with the Soup, I feel like I ate out and am very satisfied.

The only place I've successfully ate a out was Panera bread. Cheddar broccoli soup-on liquid phase through solids' date=' it was fine. Only about 1/4 cup, if that, of course! If I get 1/2 sandwich, it's usually a Cuban and I take one bite's worth and my husband finishes it, but with the Soup, I feel like I ate out and am very satisfied.[/quote']

Gee, panera bread as the choice! I am surprised because this is such a breads heavy place to eat. Some places I have eaten at are Olive Garden, Indian and Thai restraints, Applebee's, red robin, blazin onion (local) and more. I can usually find some chicken or fish entree when going out to these places. I now try and find savory entrees to maximize taste when ordering off a menu.

I ate out very little immediately post op but I do recall the experiences I had when I first ventured out there. Even now it's sometimes frustrating to eat out because I still eat so little. Every now and again I'll order my own entree and be amazed when I see that I still can't eat even half of the food they serve to people in restaurants.

Keep as closely as you can to your doctor's nutritional plan. I had Soup shortly after and simply asked them to give me as much broth as possible while avoiding everything else. They thought I was nuts but I enjoyed my "treat" very much' date=' because I'd been eating the same old liquid meals for weeks at that point!

These days I've learned to share. Even my husband, who has never had a weight problem, is now disgusted by the massive portions they serve in restaurants. As a family of four we'll typically share a salad or appetizer and order two entrees instead of ordering appetizers, entrees and possibly dessert for everyone.

~Cheri[/quote']

I too went out soon after surgery---nothing on the menu I could have so I asked for a bowl of hot Water. I thought ahead and brought a packet of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken soup. Worked out great for me. I am 4 weeks out and still can't eat much. We don't go out very often because of the choices on the menu are so few for me.

It was hard watching others eat and I'm slowly sipping on my Soup. It wouldn't be so hard when on soft foods.

It was hard watching others eat and I'm slowly sipping on my Soup. It wouldn't be so hard when on soft foods.

It's even harder to eat out when your on soft foods. Only thing you can find are Soups and mashed potatoes.

It's hard to eat out on solids, still. I can't tolerate chicken so I'm safest with Soups. Panera has great soup-I don't get bread, of course. I think it's hard fir WLS patients to eat out regardless of stage. We have natural limitations now-what we can tolerate and digest well.

Lately, I think i must be worst WLS patient ever. I ate panera broccoli & cheddar soup& egg drop Soup when i was on purees( week 4). While on soft I ate outback tilapia with lump crab(delish!!!), maybe 3 oz& bite of baked potato. All the foods were technically allowed& fit into my diet. It was the puréed food that drove me to it. I never want to eat anything that texture again.