Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Relatively new; anyone have a child with autism?

Hello! My daughter is 12 and has autism. She's non-verbal for the most part but she has some vocabulary. Part of my reasoning for having this surgery was to be able to be here for her. Getting healthy and active; that's my goal :)post-45628-13813661604898_thumb.jpg

I have a son with autism. He is now 22, and fairly high functioning although will probably always live with me. Since I am a single parent, I realized I needed to get my act in gear.

I have a son with autism. He is now 22, and fairly high functioning although will probably always live with me. Since I am a single parent, I realized I needed to get my act in gear.

Oh yes, my daughter will be with us always. She is VERY active and FAST; so i need to get in shape to chase this one around!

I know this is an old post, but I have a son with Asperger's. Don't know if he will ever leave home. This is one of my major reasons for having surgery. I need to be healthy and be around as long as possible to take care of him.

I have a 10 yr old son with P.D.D. NOS and also was mainly motivated by the feeling I needed to get healthier to be around to take care of him.

I have a 10 yr old son with P.D.D. NOS and also was mainly motivated by the feeling I needed to get healthier to be around to take care of him.

EXACTLY why I'm doing this. I have a 14 year old with Asperger's, but he is not doing as well as we had hoped. I don't know if he'll be able to live by himself. Need to be around a long time to take care of him too.

I know this is an older post - but I too have a daughter with Asperger's. She's 7. I also have a 3 year old boy who is speech delayed and a runner and possibly being screened himself soon.

So definitely need to get healthier to be around for them both!

:wub: My son is 18, he is high functioning (verbal/social) but is not able to read/write. So he too, will be with us as long as possible. You know, he can't read but can tell you everything about every Pokemon, Star Wars character or super-hero EVER! hahahahaha He's awesome. :) :wub: Hope more peeps see this group and start yapping!! We all have a special understanding that parents of "typical" kids will never understand.

I don't know if I'm welcome here yet since I haven't been sleeved yet but hopefully next month!

I have an 11 y/o son, with autism, who was non-verbal till he was almost 4 & then clear out of the blue, he started singing a Bon Jovi song which I had playing in the van. I almost crashed I was so excited to hear him sing! I pulled over & hugged him (I cried like a baby too) & was asking him "what did you say??? What did you say???!!!" Nothing. Just looked forward with a blank expression on his beautiful face...I thought that maybe I wanted him to speak so badly that I just imagined it. He didn't say anything again for at least a week & then again, he was singing "shot through the heart, & you're to blame, you give love a bad name." I never did like that particular song but I sure do love it now!

Fast forward to now & he's talking & singing where sometimes I've caught myself saying "sush!" haha! He's my life. He's a real cuddle/love bug. He struggles in school & is about 2nd grade reading level but with the help of an aide & his teacher's support, he is honor roll (with an adjusted cirriculum).

Like you all have said, I'm doing this to be around for him. In fact, a few months ago he said to me "Mama, can't you lose weight, because I'm afraid you will die & if you die, I'll die." OMG...have tears welling up in my eyes right now just repeating that. That child is my shadow. So I have to do this for him & for me. While I don't know what the future will bring, I do know I want to be around for him for as long as God lets me stay here with him.

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome pixie dust and good luck with your journey

Thank you Richard!

Hi Pixie!!! The end of your post brought tears to my eyes. My guy is turning 19 and still so sweet & loving. He doesn't cuddle really anymore without saying, "Moooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm! I'm not a baby anymore!" hahaha BUt his sweet spirit has stayed the same. I am glad your guy is doing well and has some good supports. <3 Welcome!!!! :P

Hi Pixie!!! The end of your post brought tears to my eyes. My guy is turning 19 and still so sweet & loving. He doesn't cuddle really anymore without saying, "Moooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm! I'm not a baby anymore!" hahaha BUt his sweet spirit has stayed the same. I am glad your guy is doing well and has some good supports. <3 Welcome!!!! :P

Aww....how sweet of your little man. He wants to feel grown up but we know that they are always our babies! In fact, my oldest son who will be 18 in a couple of weeks, calls me "mommie" when we're alone at home. He also loves it when I call him "baby" but if we're out in public, he doesn't know me. Haha!! :D Thank you for the warm welcome! I appreciate it very much. :wub:

Sorry so late to reply. I haven't been sleeved either. I'm jumping through insurance hoops. My guy is going to turn 15 soon and he still runs to me and throws his arms around me regardless of who is around. But I know it's just a matter of time. He's beginning to be concerned with his appearance. The upside of this is hygiene isn't so much of a daily struggle! :D

I have a 9 year old with autism! Would love to hear how you managing caring for your child with special needs post-surgery; I am very nervous about it!