Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice needed!

I just had the sleeve done in October and now have a friend interested in WLS but he wants to have the band because he doesn't want to have anything cut inside. Having read all the horror stories about bands slipping, eroding, etc. I want to be able to talk him out of getting the band and going with the sleeve.

Any suggestions???

I did a lot of research, talk to him about all the fills...that's what I have heard is one of the worst parts about the band. Also, some people like it because they think it's reversible. It's not, it's removable but the damage that's done by the band is still there. I'd make sure he knows all of that.

I really wish your friend would do more research then just jump into it. I wanted the band at first too, but then went to a seminar and asked a million questions there. Maybe you could do that too, take him to a seminar and ask all the questions for him. Let him hear it first hand.

I'm one of the people that had the band first. Mine eroded and I almost dies from infection cause being a guy I had other things to do instead of going to see my doc. I had an erosion 5 years ago last week. It left me with a stricture to where I was very limited as to what I could eat for a few years, in fact even right before I got my sleeve 5 weeks ago I still could not eat chicken. I was gaining all the weight back that I had lost with the band and was very not happy! The sleeve so far has been great. Compared to the band, the sleeve doesn't hurt at all. I say the main reason I lost so much with the band was because it hurt to eat so I would just not eat. Now I actually get full with the sleeve And I am still on soft foods. If the sleeve had been an option 9 years ago when I got the band, and knowing what I know now... Never would have considered the band!!

Take him to seminars maybe. That's what changed my mind.

Tell him to research band complications. I had the band put in April 2008, I didn't want anything permeate. I have had nothing but pain and complications since. At my highest was 230 only got down to 189 with band. Going through a break up lost 40lbs but was not band related, and gained it all back. Counting calories workin out and taking phentramine was able to lose 30lbs but would put it back on soon as I stopped diet pills. Always had chest pains from the band, had pouch dilation, band slipped, apple lodged in it ect.

Was revised from band to sleeve Monday, doctor said the band had become unstitched from my stomach, was in wrong place and I had lower esophagus dilation.

My mom is looking to have hers removed too from similar problems. All the doctors and nurses I've talk to at the hospital said most doctors will not even discuss band as an option anymore

There are tons of YouTube videos about slipping and eroding, that's what changed my mind.

Definitely tell him do more research. I had the band put in in April 2009 and had limited success and now live with lots of complications. I have terrible acid reflux and throw up regularly even when I eat slow and chew it to bits. I wanted band for same reason but I sure wish I'd done more research. Yes, the sleeve is irreversible but it is worth it. We are all at this stage because we are very overweight and will live shorter lives if we don't make major changes. I've heard that surgeons have cut back significantly on using the band. He can look at Lap Band Talk and read about their complications and that is very informative. I just got approved for the sleeve and I'm so excited!

I wish I had gotten my sleeve the first time around, The band is crap, they thought the band would do all these things for us like make us not hungry and have us eat less. For me it was a funnel I knew what to do to get more in when i wanted to over eat and i never felt full. i was always stuck and throwing up it was horrible the only foods my band like was junk food "chips, Cheetos these are the things I had the band for!! oh and lets not get me started on how uncomfortable the port was!!! I have no pain or discomfort with my sleeve! I get full (FINALLY!) I don't get stuck on food and actually eat like a normal person. Please take your friend to a seminar or have him sign up here. I would hate to see anyone go thru the band.

Forget horror stories, read published studies. The band fails, more often then not over the long term. By fail I mean - regain and/or removal required. That of course doesn't mention all the suffereing involved to get there, but based on what we all know now, the band makes no sense whatsoever.

It took me a couple of years of anguishing over doing something so "radical" as having part of my stomach removed. I can relate to that fear. In hindsight, I see it like I had a too big stomach and I needed this to "fix" that problem kind of like a nose job...lol. I didn't see it that way at the time though.

I failed with a lapband, and I dont care what surgery you get, you absolutely must be mentally ready for it so I wouldn't push on it honestly except to implore him to really really hear the negatives about the band. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them. I think about 2/3 of bands eventually fail.... maybe higher.

Forget horror stories, read published studies. The band fails, more often then not over the long term. By fail I mean - regain and/or removal required. That of course doesn't mention all the suffereing involved to get there, but based on what we all know now, the band makes no sense whatsoever.

It took me a couple of years of anguishing over doing something so "radical" as having part of my stomach removed. I can relate to that fear. In hindsight, I see it like I had a too big stomach and I needed this to "fix" that problem kind of like a nose job...lol. I didn't see it that way at the time though.

I failed with a lapband, and I dont care what surgery you get, you absolutely must be mentally ready for it so I wouldn't push on it honestly except to implore him to really really hear the negatives about the band. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them. I think about 2/3 of bands eventually fail.... maybe higher.

How is it possible that you always hit the nail on the head!!! I could not have said it better myself!!!