Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarian diet - is this impossible post-OP

Need advice from vegetarian or mostly vegetarian sleevers out there.

I met with the Dr yesterday and he said that I should research vegetarian diet compatibility with VSG. Liquid Protein is fine for the first 4 weeks but he feels a SOLID Protein like a bite of chicken that will basically sit in your post-Op stomach for a long time is what helps people feel full and not overeat. Vegetarian substitutes like Beans or tofu or seitan apparently just get processed by the stomach acids and move into the intestines fast.. Making you feel hungry again.

I am mostly vegetarian. I eat eggs, dairy etc. Will occasionally eat chicken or fish in restaurants but I do not cook meat at home. For the weight loss phase when I am losing weight, I am willing to do what it takes to get the protein in but I would prefer longer term diet to be mostly plant based. Is this unrealistic with the sleeve?

Dear Chaya, I hope you get some answers here. I was vegetarian for 10 years. When asked why I stopped, I paused, then answered "Because I am HUNGRY! " Thanks for the explanation as to why. PS Greek yogurt often has 20+ gms of Protein. I

My NUT told me that it's very difficult for vegetarians but it is possible. I am not a vegetarian so I did not ask her to elaborate however there is a program she provides for those who are. Somewhere there is a resource that will help you. Good luck

I think egg whites either boiled or poached or lightly scrambled will be best for you. I have tried them, they are quite satiating. You dont feel hungry for a long time and do not contain much carbs or calories. They are the best provided you are able to eat them daily twice a day.

You need to research Dr. Garth Davis in Houston Texas. He is a Bariatric Doctor and Vegan. He is on Facebook and if you friend him, he actually writes you back! He is very supportive of of this lifestyle. If you would have asked me this question before I knew him I would say impossible! You need too much Protein from meat but after seeing how passionate he is about being able to maintain VSG with no animal protein I believe it can be done! Good Luck to you!

This topic is good, I have been vegetarian before and had done the raw food, juicing etc. I will be seeing my Nut soon and will have some questions too. I'd like to in cooperate juices and a few things in my diet later. Keep us posted when you get more answers.

Good luck.

Need advice from vegetarian or mostly vegetarian sleevers out there.

I met with the Dr yesterday and he said that I should research vegetarian diet compatibility with VSG. liquid Protein is fine for the first 4 weeks but he feels a SOLID Protein like a bite of chicken that will basically sit in your post-Op stomach for a long time is what helps people feel full and not overeat. Vegetarian substitutes like Beans or tofu or seitan apparently just get processed by the stomach acids and move into the intestines fast.. Making you feel hungry again.

I am mostly vegetarian. I eat eggs' date=' dairy etc. Will occasionally eat chicken or fish in restaurants but I do not cook meat at home. For the weight loss phase when I am losing weight, I am willing to do what it takes to get the protein in but I would prefer longer term diet to be mostly plant based. Is this unrealistic with the sleeve?

[/quote']

I was in your boat as far as being a vegetarian. At my one month post-op my surgeon told me flat out that until I could get my body used to getting protein from "regular" sources he was saying no more vegetarian diet. I have noticed a difference since I've been adding meat back in, unfortunately, because I'm not wild about it. The surgeon said we would try going back after my labs at my 3 month post-op visit, so I'm using this time to research and let the protein do its healing thing.

Good luck to you!

It is totally possible to be vegetarian!! I'm 16 months post-op, vegetarian, and very healthy! I don't do the fake meat stuff, but I do eat lots of natural foods including lentils, nuts, dairy, and eggs. It does take planning, however.

I plan my entire day out in the morning, and pack my lunches. I also look at menus before going to restaurants, and call ahead if I need something special. I'm eating a meal as I write this: an apple with PB2 powder! 150 calories, 20 grams of Protein - all natural and low fat.

Thanks Puja, What isPB2 powder ?

Thanks Puja' date=' What isPB2 powder ?[/quote']

PB2 is dehydrated peanuts in powder form. You mix it with Water and you have an extremely low calorie, but very tasty Peanut Butter. I buy it on Amazon but some health food stores may have it.

I've always been interested in becoming a vegetarian so it's awesome to hear it is possible! I'm only about 5 weeks out so if I did make the transition I would wait until I was at least 6 months but its something I have been thinking a lot about. I would imagine being vegan is very difficult with wls but seems vegetarian is doable :) yay!

Puja --> I am glad you posted. Can you share more details please? What has your weightloss been like? Did your surgeon or Nut have any concerns about your vegetrian diet or provide any guidelines for what to eat? How has your hunger been post-op?

What is your daily diet like? Can you share some meal plan details for Breakfast, lunch, dinner etc? We mainly eat an south asian/ indian diet diet at home and I don't know how to make it work and not make something separate for myselft for every meal. And there is only so much eggs I can stomach?

I've always been interested in becoming a vegetarian so it's awesome to hear it is possible! I'm only about 5 weeks out so if I did make the transition I would wait until I was at least 6 months but its something I have been thinking a lot about. I would imagine being vegan is very difficult with wls but seems vegetarian is doable :) yay!

Dear, how did you introduce the following ticker to your post ?

Surgery Date: November 14th 2012

HW:379 SW:359 GW:180

Puja --> I am glad you posted. Can you share more details please? What has your weightloss been like? Did your surgeon or Nut have any concerns about your vegetrian diet or provide any guidelines for what to eat? How has your hunger been post-op?

What is your daily diet like? Can you share some meal plan details for Breakfast, lunch, dinner etc? We mainly eat an south asian/ indian diet diet at home and I don't know how to make it work and not make something separate for myselft for every meal. And there is only so much eggs I can stomach?

Really dont understand why do you need bariatric surgery. I think if you just go on post op Surgery diet, you would achieve the goals. In addition to Puja's tips take lots of egg whites if possible. They are a great help in suppressing hunger.

Oops, I made a mistake in my initial post. My meal was 10 grams of Protein, not 20!

Chaya, where are you located? I eat Indian food on almost a daily basis: lentils, paneer (make your own with low fat milk, yogurt, milk, etc. Depending on where you are in India, tofu, Peanut Butter, and cheeses are also good options (natural cheese, not processed).

For a higher Protein yogurt, hang your dahi in a cloth, and drain the Water out - this is similar to the Greek Yogurt that lots of people post about in the forums. If you use low-fat or non fat milk, even better! This thicker dahi can be used as cream in your daals, and tastes delicious with fruit or granola.

If I have tofu available, I add that into my vegetables with Indian masala. It's good plain, and the rest of the family can eat it like a subji with roti. Make sure to press the Water out of the tofu first. If you are making daal, eat yours with yogurt, while the rest of the family has rice. It's very manageable!

Following a few healthy tips will be beneficial for the entire family.

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.