Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Apnea Cured? How/when Did You Know?

I was thinking that, obviously, I'll still have the sleep apnea the days and even weeks after surgery. If I always wear the mask, how will I know when it's gone, if it goes, short of doing another sleep study? Sleep on the couch and have the kids tell you? :huh:

I also had sleep apnea & wore a CPAP. I wore mine for about 6 weeks after surgery. The only way I knew my sleep apnea wasn't affecting me & everyone else in my family (lol), I decided to not wear it one night & they told me I didn't snore. Needless to say, it has been put away in the closet ever since. However, I would suggest you speak to your Dr as he may want another sleep study done. Best of luck to you :)

6 weeks is good!! I hope to be so lucky!

I tried it without the CPAP at about 3 months and my wife says I'm quiet enough for her to sleep - but I still try to stay on my side to minimize the chances of some purring noise.

i had a CPAP for years prior to my WLS. After about 6 months I could not keep my mask sealed, my face was simply too thin and I still had to get the XL size as any smaller would not cover my mouth. I had to use a full face mask the nasal masks simply would NOT work for me.

So I just stopped using it. The wife woke up a lot at first and says I am not gasping and sputtering the way I used to, and not snoring much either, just an occasional buzz rather than the raspy snoring I used to do.

I probably should have gone in for another sleep study but I found the whole thing pretty uncomfortable the first time around. I am an insomniac anyway, put me in foreign bed and I hardly sleep a wink. The doc was rude and the tech acted like he was doing me a favor by even showing up. I would have to pony up for ALL the cost too as I have a high $5000 deductible insurance.

So I've not used it for about 1 1/2 years and I'm still here.

I have to preface this by saying that I HATED the CPAP. I could not get rid of it fast enough! I didn't experience all of the energy and happy feelings that many CPAP users go on and on about. That being said, I haven't used my CPAP since surgery 5 weeks ago. My husband used to tell me all the time to put the CPAP on when I would try to sneak asleep without wearing it...lol...Since surgery he hasn't said anything. He says that he noticed a difference within the first two weeks.

Now granted, I was barely in sleep apnea territory anyways and I lost 20 pounds in the first two weeks, but I was pretty impressed at how quickly it changed. And I will never put on a CPAP again!!! lol

My wife had gastric bypass, dumped the cpap about 4 months out. I got rid of mine about a month out. Both of us were diagnosed as severe. We just stopped and the other one observed.

I panicked every time I tried to wear the thing. I never did wear it and sent it back without another sleep study. The pulmonologist demanded to know how I knew I didn't have sleep apnea anymore. I told her, "Because my face doesn't hit the keyboard at work anymore and my husband doesn't nudge me every ten seconds so I will breathe. I also stopped snoring.

Ive lost 52 pounds since apnea diagnosed in August 2012. No more snoring = bye-bye CPAP! I hated it!! (DOS Oct 11, 2012- lost 31 since surgery!)

Because my face doesn't hit the keyboard at work anymore and my husband doesn't nudge me every ten seconds so I will breathe.

LOL

My only concern now is going to be sleeping without it. I don't like it, don't get me wrong, But I find it's harder for me to get to sleep without it on. I think my brain just knows that when the CPAP is on, it sucks, so go the F to sleep!

I've been using a bipap (nose mask) for nearly 10 years and it's been 8 years since my last sleep study. I took it with me to the hospital and was in the ICU the first night after the surgery because of my severe OSA diagnosis from that 8yo sleep study. I didn't use it in the ICU and they said my episodes were within the 'normal' range. Now I didn't sleep much that first night, or didn't feel like I did, because I was hooked up to a bp machine--and every hour that stupid thing would inflate and pinch like a motherhummer and I'd wake up.

I haven't used my machine since my surgery. I was always told that I sounded like a buzzsaw and a leafblower combined, but my husband sleeps fine with me not using the machine. I'm not quite ready to return the machine yet, just in case, but I think I'll look into getting another sleep study between 4-6 months out. It is weird not having the mask on after so many years of using it. Hubs has no idea what I sounded like before, because I've used it since he's known me.

... I don't like it, don't get me wrong, But I find it's harder for me to get to sleep without it on. I...

Yeah, I was in the same boat, Love / Hate relationship. I somehow found it comforting being on and when I stopped using it found it harder to fall asleep, although I seem to sleep better overall without it.

I was never officially diagnosed with sleep apnea, but I had it. Had to sleep sitting up just to catch a little bit of air. Bought one of those expensive beds that go up and down and all around to facilitate. Constantly woke up gasping. I snored so much I kept waking myself up throughout the night.

After a few weeks post-surgery, it occurred to me that all that had just disappeared! I couldn't say just when, but it was gone.

And I never get winded anymore while walking or doing housework. And I don't sweat just thinking about physical work anymore!

I'm tellin' ya... it's all just wonderful!

The funny thing about sleep apnea is that many people don't know they have it! I knew I snored horribly (my husband really couldn't take it so I moved to the guest room downstairs-I was mad at him for always waking me to tell me to stop snoring! I was up all night already-if I'm snoring, I would say, at least I'm sleeping!). I'm back in our room-banishment lifted! Also, before surgery and losing weight, I needed an IV of caffein to get through the day. coffee, Red Bull, 5-Hour energy drink-one after another all day, every day, and I was still tired. I'm tired now but that's because my calories are so low (600), so my 1/2 cup of coffee each afternoon is a welcome pick me up to get me through the afternoon!