Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am booked to be sleeved on Nov 12th and I am Soooooo excited...

However I am curious about cross-over addictions. See I have two very good friends that are post- op and they have jumped from over eating to other addictions :/

One started drinking and smoking... She is 1+ post-op

The other is popping pain killers... She is 6 months out

Concerned :(

I have heard of cross over addictions also and feel it is a legitimate concern. I'm 9 weeks out and have gone thru many emotions over the loss of my comfort buddy food but I've been determined from the beginning to kick this addiction in the butt. I've kicked so many other addictions from my past, it's freeing to have this as one of the last on my list (only next to caffiene). For whatever reason, I feel very protective over my new stomach and couldn't imagine drinking or smoking now (I used to enjoy both very much) and possibly hurting it.

If you are concerned my best advice is to be proactive. I find the rough spots in the road much easier to deal with preparation. Get a good therapist and continue through until you get to a good place comfortable with the adjustment (bcuz it is a BIG adjustment)

I went to Mexico so there was no kind of psych eval or any mental preparation for what I've gone thru and I was a little surprised at some of the emotions I experienced. How can I feel depressed when I finally got what I've been dreaming of for 14 years???? I'm pushing past it and am excited to live a life not controlled by food!

My faith has also been a huge rock to help along this journey so I'm thankful for that. Guess I could say I have a Jesus addiction but hey it's nothing but positive energy and no negative side effects so I'll probably keep this one. Caffiene, however, I'm putting you on notice, cuz your butt is getting kicked next! haha

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming surgery!

Sorry to hear about your friends. Did the smoker smoke before the surgery? I smoked years ago, but I haven't had any cravings for cigarettes for a long time. I think I would rather be fat than smoke. And I did put on about 30+ pounds when I quit smoking.

My biggest "common" concern would be alcohol, but not necessarily because of addiction or alcoholism.

It is easy to start going out more once you drop a few pounds because you feel more social and feel/are more attractive. Alcohol can add a lot of calories, and drinking can lead to other things like overeating, poor food choices, smoking, DUIs, sleeping with ugly people, etc.

I've been chewing my nails AND FINGERS down to nubs! I'm also ripping skin off my thumbs. It's terrible and incredibly painful, but I don't even realize I'm doing it until I'm bleeding. I've always been a nail biter, but it's much worse since surgery. Gum chewing could help, but we're not supposed to chew gum. Ideas?

I've been chewing my nails AND FINGERS down to nubs! I'm also ripping skin off my thumbs. It's terrible and incredibly painful, but I don't even realize I'm doing it until I'm bleeding. I've always been a nail biter, but it's much worse since surgery. Gum chewing could help, but we're not supposed to chew gum. Ideas?

I think the advice against gum chewing is a bit overstated for sleevers. A lot of the advice gets carried over from RNY. Chewing gum is definitely better than eating your hands. Manage the risk and chew some gum if you need to.

I was never told not to chew gum and I do all the time. sugar free of course. My doc told me before surgery that some people are nauseous for a while after surgery but that it eventually gets better. It did not happen to me but I was warned that it might.

I don't get the gum and straw warnings. Neither have bothered me in the least. I rarely chew gum, but I've tried it with no ill effects. I use a straw all day every day and have since surgery.

Hey, back in the day when my 40-something kids were little, they sold some bitter-tasting preparation to keep kids from sucking their thumbs. Maybe they still make it.

I think having a therapist is extremely helpful and will help all of us build our self awareness and bolster our commitment to healthy living.

Thanks to everyone for the comments...

I am excited to start my journey!

Good Luck everyone and please be aware of cross-over addictions...

I have shared the info with my family to keep a watchful eye on me... I have never had any addictions- expect for sweets especially chocolate Lol :)

But I don't want to start any new ones either!!!!!

Continued Success to All & God Bless! O:-)